P90X Question: Lean or Classic?

Lbj1212
Lbj1212 Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone,

I am about to start my 3rd week of P90X Classic. It is my first time doing it, but I'm wondering if I should switch to lean? My goal is to lose weight (about 20 lbs) and not to gain muscle/bulk. Would it be wise to change to the P90X Lean system to attain this goal, or should I stick with the classic? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Stick with Classic. Women cannot bulk up; we don't have the testosterone to do it. Plus, if you're in a calorie deficit, it's impossible to gain muscle. You'll shed fat which allows your muscles to show, but you will not gain size.
  • Thanks Sandy! And is it okay if I'm drinking the protein drinks as described? I know you stated that because we don't have testoserone we won't bulk up, so drinking protein after the workouts won't cause me to bulk up either right? I'm just curious because the women in the P90X work out videos all seem really bulk and muscular, and while they look amazing that's not what I want!

I'm also trying to stick to the diet plan but I come under my calories allowed practically everyday, sometimes by as much as 8-900.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Thanks for the friend invite. Of course I accept! :wink:

I wouldn't describe the women on the videos as bulky. I would say they are shredded & strong. They don't have much body fat, which lets the muscles show.

Are you drinking a protein shake as a recovery drink? They are not one in the same. Protein shakes are great for keeping your calorie & protein counts up, but they are not recovery drinks. A recovery drink should have a 4:1 carb:protein ratio, and be high in glucose to replace blood sugars. The P90X Recovery Formula has amino acids & a trace amount of creatine to help with recovery as well. It's the one supplement I swear by. You could also use non-fat chocolate milk or mix 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder with 8 oz apple or grape juice (nothing acidic like grapefruit or orange as they mess with the absorption process).

Being under your calories is not a good idea. You won't have the energy or fuel your body needs, and will eventually hamper your results. Nutrition is key and really is 70% of your results. The best thing to do is plan ahead. Log tomorrow's food intake tonight so you can make adjustments where needed. It's a lot easier to make adjustments before the food goes in your mouth. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.