S/O eats junk & doesn't work out...

Options
2»

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You can just tell him what you told us. "I need a little support and motivation to work out.... can we do this together?"

But don't be surprised if he's not as supportive as you need him to be. You decided to make this life change, not him. Either accept him for how he is or cut him loose.
  • Newfifer
    Options
    This is your journey, not his, if he chooses to join in fine but if he doesn't, it shouldn't stop you - it might even make you more determined to be successful because you're doing it on your own? Just for info, my SO is ex-Navy and fit as a fiddle, eats like a horse, etc - we compromised on food, junk in the house at weekends but the gym stuff I did alone - fab me-time :smile: even when he later joined the same gym, he went off for a swim long before I was finished so i still had me-time,,,,,,
    Do what you need to do for you and let him find his own way. Hopefully he will be inspired by you on his own and join you :)
    Good luck
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Stop putting out.

But that's the one exercise they can actually do together that I'm sure he's down for...
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Maybe think of something that's fun and doesn't seem like exercise? Tossing a frisbee or going swimming or to a concert where you'd dance a lot?
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't exercise either, but he loves to spend time with me when he's not working, so on the weekends, I make sure that includes hiking or biking. He's not opposed to exercise, he just can't seem to get motivated to do it daily. I figure at least 2 days a week isn't bad.

As for the food, I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. He eats what we have in the house and what I cook. He does occasionally buy junk, but it's like rice chips instead of potato chips. I can't stay away from chips and crackers, and he knows how hard it is for me, so he usually doesn't bring that stuff home.

Maybe do a different form of exercise on the weekends or the evenings, and even enlist his help in cooking?
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    Have him make a Dr's appt for a check up.

My guy eats junk food..all day, he's 6'5 has muscle and very very little fat! He doesn't work out , drinks Mt Dew until the falls asleep at night. He recently went to the DR and found he has high cholesterol and a couple of other red flags, although his weight/mass is perfect there are DEFINITELY negative affects on his body that are not visible. Maybe convince him to get a check-up at the DRs office. It really puts things into perspective, since then he has ordered a fitbit and is looking into some home exercise equipment, he still eats a lot of junk *sigh*.. but..one step at a time.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just last night I finished my workout and was sitting on the couch logging it in and talking to my husband while he was scarfing down oreos.

This used to be VERY hard for me to deal with. Now i'm sort of indifferent. I still make it a point to remind him that his behavior is unhealthy- and leave it at that. He's an adult, he knows.

Unfortunately, expecting others to change their behavior and/or actions isn't realistic. Unless he wants to do it, it wont happen. You can force him but even that will not last. You will have to find other ways to keep your motivation strong. The one thing I did ask my husb. to do for me was not snack and eat junk food around me at night... so basically eat it in the kitchen- not in our bedroom or on the couch while we are hanging out. That much he did do for the most part.

Keep doing what you're doing, eventually it will rub off on him/her in little ways. My husb. actually attempted to workout with me last night. Sure, it only lasted 15 mins, but that's more than he ever does so i'll take it :)

good luck!
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My hubby eats whatever he wants, drinks sodas, and goes to work. The way I see it is that I need to work on me and not worry about him. If I do I will never accomplish anything and I will become discouraged. He is in charge of him and I am in charge of me. Maybe if I lead by example it will inspire him. No one around me, physically outside of fbook, eats healthy or works out. I am solo in this. The only companionship or motivation I receive or give is through MFP and 2 fbook groups.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs exercise. Exercise has benefits far greater than weight loss/maintenance.

My husband is not one to work out either. And without me he'd probably live on junk food most of the time. Luckily he has me and I am a very good cook who loves healthy food. He likes what I prepare and is too lazy to prepare his own so eats healthy most of the time, though he drink too much beer!

Try taking some of his favorite unhealthy dishes and make them yourself using healthy ingredients -- pizza, burgers, nachos or burritos using lean meats, reduced fat cheese and fresh veggies, mashed potatoes substituting 3/4 of the potatoes for cauliflower, turnips or parsnips. In dishes like spaghetti use whole grain pasta or white with added fiber and use less pasta and meat and more vegetable sauce. Buy a healthy cookbook and get (or act) excited about trying new recipes.

And for exercise, suggest activities you can do together like hiking or biking or walking, but don't mention exercise. Focus on spending time together and getting fresh air or out of the house or fun.

If all else fails, do not underestimate the power of nagging.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    What does your S/O have to do with your fitness goals?
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    What does your S/O have to do with your fitness goals?

^This

Find your own motivation.

I was like you. For months I begged my man to start working out with me, to motivate me, to eat better with me, he needed to get into shape to so do it with me, blah blah blah... it never happened. I told him to motivate me and he would say "you need to motivate yourself." I got pissed at him, but he's right.

It has to come from within or it's not going to come at all. I eat healthy, filling things now. I use my body in great ways. I work out, I stay active. What does my SO do? Plays video games, smokes pot, eats chips by the bag, eats fast food, drinks beer, doesn't work out.

Does it affect me? Not at all.

Did I want to believe it affected me so I had an easy excuse not to do what I needed to do? You bet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lol, I like how this is the 2nd thread in a short time about this.

The first person got flamed up to no end... lots of hate.

Why would someone get flamed for wanting their S/O to eat heatlhy and work out. I always wonder just how significant an other can be if you don't care about their health.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Lol, I like how this is the 2nd thread in a short time about this.

The first person got flamed up to no end... lots of hate.

Why would someone get flamed for wanting their S/O to eat heatlhy and work out. I always wonder just how significant an other can be if you don't care about their health.

My thoughts exactly. I don't know why she got flamed so hard. I'm all for supporting your SO to be the best person possible.
  • joeandcarmen
    joeandcarmen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If he isn't eating healthy then he probably isn't healthy. The old saying "You are what you eat". Really, the only person you can be responsible for is you. Eat healthy, exercise and be proud of yourself that your on the right track. I'm proud of you and look forward to seeing you reach your goal!
  • joeandcarmen
    joeandcarmen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started my diet today!:smile:
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the helpful advice!