FUN FRIDAY MFP DEBATE: PRENUPS!

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Yay, or nay?

Personally I find it a little disheartening that they kind of suck a bit of the romance out of things. That said, a plan ahead type of document could actually protect the interest of both parties.

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had just about nothing and a 30k a year job when we got married. No need for one.

If I had a family fortune or say a house or two that I OWNED, not paying 99% interest on, sure might be a good reason to have one.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's between the two people getting married. It's nobody else's place to suggest they get one, particularly the groom's parents, and especially when I make more than he does...

wait, now it's getting personal. Carry on....
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have to sign one to marry my current boyfriend. Well, it' s a condition he's making for us to get married. He's made it known from day one that I will have to sign one. Now, whether I will or not and he's just all pissy from his divorce, I don't know. But I'm okay with signing one.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    I think it depends on the situation. For my husband and I, no, we don't need one. But someone else may feel they do, and if they feel that way, they should get one!
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    It's between the two people getting married. It's nobody else's place to suggest they get one, particularly the groom's parents, and especially when I make more than he does...

wait, now it's getting personal. Carry on....

Haha
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    In a way I see it as a set up for failure. That being said.....**** happens, and if you have a ton of money going in that you worked your *kitten* off for....protect it.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    half of nothing is still nothing..
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I agree... they do suck the romance out of it, but it adds security. Love and bliss is all good and dandy but you never know what could happen.

If I had anything to protect I'd get one, but by the time the man and I get married everything I have will really have been built by both of us anyway so it'd be silly.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Eh if I actually had assets or a large salary I would require one. However unless I win the lottery soon that aint happening lol.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm torn on this one. The divorce rate is so high, but at the same time, I would hate going into a marriage planning for failure.

I would also hate to lose all my stuff.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    normal, everyday people...don't see the point. If I was loaded, then yes...if he is loaded, then no :drinker:
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm not sentimental and I don't think that having one means you're setting yourselves up to eventually divorce, I think it's just practical. So many marriages end in divorce, why not be prepared by doing a relatively small amount of paperwork now to avoid potentially a TON of paperwork and court time later?

I'm getting married next June and my fiance and I are seriously considering it. We both make about the same amount now, and we don't have a house yet, but laying out some parameters is just prudent. For example, any assets I have now in my own accounts will be kept as such, and will go with me in the event of divorce. Any shared accounts that we set up will be split equally. Any shared assets such as a house will be determined at the time of purchase and the prenup will be amended to reflect our plans for said assets. In the event that one of us stops contributing to the joint assets, like if one of us stops working in order to raise our future children, we will also amend the prenup at that time.

It's kind of a pain to meet with lawyers, but with some advanced planning and discussion it can be a pretty simple process. And then you've both demonstrated that you can have an adult, mature conversation about money. Money is, after all, the #1 cause of fights between couples. So you should be able to talk about it with each other openly if you're going to spend the rest of your lives together.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    That's why I got married straight out of college--didn't need one. :laugh:

I think it depends on the mentality of both parties. I view marriage as a lifelong partnership that WILL be hard and WILL take work, for which divorce is only an option in extreme cases (cheating, abuse, etc.). In that case, I see prenups as moot. While I would like to say that everyone who decides to marry knows their partner enough to judge the likelihood of those extremes actually occuring, sadly, human nature is not that reliable...

So I'd say if there are extreme wealth/income disparities and both parties acknowledge the possibility of divorce (however remote), then sure. Agree with others though--it's a decision for the two getting married, not their families.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    normal, everyday people...don't see the point. If I was loaded, then yes...if he is loaded, then no :drinker:

Yes.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I am not loaded.

I would get one. Love don't pay the bills.
  • Kellybeth16
    Options
    Hmmm.... Well, a few years ago, I would have said NO WAY, that is ridiculous, you should share everything. BUT, after being with my current boyfriend, I have definitely had a change of heart and would be more than willing to sign one for him. And yes, I already know he will have me sign one (if we were to get married). He's not stupid.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm also torn on this subject. I personally didn't feel I needed one, but I can see where a wealthy person may want one, because, unfortunately there are a lot of shallow people out there that will marry someone just for money.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i see it this way - the act of "getting married" is the act of entering a contract. if one or both parties think that additions need to be made to the contract, then that's fine. work it out so that both parties are in agreement and sign. i think that if you think it's too "unromantic" then maybe you're rushing and not thinking about the long-term implications of what you're doing.

i don't see that it has to impact the MARRIAGE at all. the marriage is the life you're going to have. focus on that and let the lawyers worry about the contract.

but then, i have weird views on marriage and what it should be. and i don't care if i never do it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I had just about nothing and a 30k a year job when we got married. No need for one.

If I had a family fortune or say a house or two that I OWNED, not paying 99% interest on, sure might be a good reason to have one.

Great opportunity to steal from Chris Rock:

"Now if you make $50 million and your wife wants half that's alright! You ain't starvin'. But if you make $30,000.. and your wife wants $15,000.. you might have to kill a b*^ch! I'm not moving back in with my mother because you ain't in love!"
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Christian didn't make Ana sign one. :laugh: *ducking*