Strength Training At Home??

Options
Can i do strength training at home without having to go to the gym? What equipment would i need? - possibly without having to spend much money!!

Replies

• Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello........anyone? :)
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't have any answers sorry, but I'd be interested to know too so thanks for asking.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    get a weight bench, a barbell, and an assortment of plates. Check craigslist or whatever local swap and sell you have available.
    Then you can do barbell squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press, pendlay rows, clean and press, etc.
    Also, do some bodyweight stuff like situps, pushups and dips. And pullups if you have a bar you can use.

that's really all you need. The large compound movements encompass everything.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just need a barbell bar, dumbell bars, and sufficient weight for what you can lift. Weight plates sell for around $1 per pound at Walmart.

You can do a great deal with only this. If funds and space allow, buy a bench. Price and features vary, but you can get one for less than $150.

A doorway chinup bar is around $30.
  • Jenner9169
    Jenner9169 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try www.liveexercise.com they have loads of online videos that work with bodylastics bands and they aren't very expensive at all but they really work! Hope that helps
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do mine at home...P90x. But really all you need is some resistance bands and some 10lb dumbbells to get started. There is tons of information out there. Good luck
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ive just got a kettlebell so been using that at home.
  • bahlquist
    Options
    That is solid advice
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A strength band can be used in place of weights. They are cheaper but you should get some information on how to properly use them.
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a set of adjustable dumb bells, an Iron Gym pull-up bar, and my own body weight.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks i have same question. i wanted to join a class but is too expensive.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can also get a program like Chalean Extreme or get the book New Rules of Lifting for Woman (NROLFW). All you need are free weights for CLX. NROLFW needs additional equipement, but I've heard of a lot of people making it work at home.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30-day Dumbbell Challenge online. Its free and you can just google it. You can start off with a couple of sets of weights and use a fitnessball as your weight bench. I'm on Day 13 and I've already blasted through a two-year plateau.
  • marilynku1953
    Options
    You can buy hand weights and google for arm workouts. Resistance tubes are pretty awesome and take up less space than hand weights. We got a grandson some tubes (not sure of the brand...sporting store) and with his, he can buy tubes of different weights and his handles will let him add up to 3 tubes, giving him more options for increasing the weights without having to buy more.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's all relative to what program you want to do. You can do strength training with just your body weight, resistance bands, or dumbbells. Or get yourself a bench, Olympic bar & a decent amount of weight plates. Craigslist is a cheap place to find all of the above. :smile:
    You can do a lot at home, see my home gym in below :smile:
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's OK to do this but I don't think there is any need to get a bunch of dumbells,bench and especially barbells for home use. I have had all of that and sold it. You need to know how to do body weight stuff but I also use a chin up bar, TRX, 1 60 pound kettlebell, 1 120 pound sandbag (3 40 pound bags inside it so I can adjust) and I'm in better shape with this than all of the space consuming weights I had before.
  • tlove64
    tlove64 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i find that going to the gym just calls for excuses not to go...so, i searched for strength workouts at home that work...the best ones are from zwow or body rock tv...they work....they are quick and i swear by them...
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    It's OK to do this but I don't think there is any need to get a bunch of dumbells,bench and especially barbells for home use. I have had all of that and sold it. You need to know how to do body weight stuff but I also use a chin up bar, TRX, 1 60 pound kettlebell, 1 120 pound sandbag (3 40 pound bags inside it so I can adjust) and I'm in better shape with this than all of the space consuming weights I had before.

This is true enlightenment, although TRX needs an instructor to get max benefit. Resistance bands cheap and full of variety and of course resistance from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds.

Also, a GYMBOSS interval timer to maximise HIIT and period training as opposed to rep counting.