Lance Friggin Armstrong

Options

Replies

• krullone
    krullone Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ap_lance_matthew_070129_ssh.jpg

Well, he's a Longhorn fan and he hangs with this dude... nuff said.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"
    ... need i say more?

i disagree. yes, he quit, but he put up a fight for a long time against people with limitless budgets. they would subpoena him to show up at THEIR convinience, and he'd have to take his own time and money to fight this battle.

he won seven tour de france's and no one can ever take that away from him.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Don't care if he was. Not even a little.
  • sapabt
    sapabt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know if he did or didn't. Heard an opinion on the radio this morning from a cyclist that Lance just got tired of the ongoing fight and said enough. It was opined that someone from the doping assn may have an axe to grind.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    he is the most tested athlete ever and has never popped positive. nuff said.

THIS!

And also, by refusing arbitration he is making a pretty powerful statement of "does it really matter?".

Still a fan. Except for that whole marrying Sheryl Crow business, but I guess there's no accounting for poor taste.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I would like to believe it isn't true, but how else could they get the ten other competitors to rat him out?

Because they all made deals with USADA and got slaps on the wrists.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think he did it. But, I don't really blame him. Look at the people who have won since he retired...
    2006 Floyd Landis... Lost title for doping
    2007, 2009, 2010 Alberto Contador... suspended for doping (just re-instated, I think) Lost title for 2010

Seems like it is just a matter of time before the others test positive for something. While Lance never tested positive on the tests at the times of the races, subsequent testing with current testing showed positive on at least one (sample b).
  • jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There will never be PROOF, and the USADA has no authority to strip him of his titles. That said, I'd bet SERIOUS money that he was dirty as sin; all his serious competition has been proven dirty. Do you really think he could beat all the cheaters without cheating himself?
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I would like to believe it isn't true, but how else could they get the ten other competitors to rat him out?
    Perhaps to get better treatment for the doping they did TRYING to beat him.

Why are we always so willing to believe the worst? I have seen NO proof he doped. I really kind of miss the America where a person was innocent until proven guilty...and a lot of other stuff that used to be.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i think he might have doped, who doesn't in cycling anymore? well, maybe alberto contador, even he was found "guilty without admitting that we had anything substantial on you". but anyway. i have emailed the usada numerous times and told them exactly what i thought of what they were doing. Here's the thing...no other governing body has been able to prove it, his tests came back negative. from what i understand is the usada is using fluctuating hematocrit levels to prove doping. well, hello, people's hematocrits can fluctuate for different reasons. i think what the usada has done to lance puts a huge smear on the image of cycling in the us and that is one sport that our overweight country needs to get into.
    i commend lance for being brave enough to stop wasting his time fighting this and concentrate on what he has done and is doing for the world of cancer and its victims. to me that makes him just a great a hero as his 7 tours, which i won't forget watching! to me he will always be the winner of those tours. the usada cant take away his fan support, which i am sure they will try to do. That tygart is just a bum who is jealous of people who have actually accomplished something.

lance got a raw deal.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Well, I think it would have a rippling effect, in other sports, too. Giants Melky Cabrera and Dodgers/A's great Bartolo Colon just got nabbed for Teste boosting. I bet if they did T-testing on all pro ballplayers, you would see a slough of players be bounced. It would flip the sports world upsidedown. You cant think cycling without thinking in the same second of L.A. That is what is so difficult about this. Kids look up to this dude, so him quitting the suit could have two effects: maybe he was doping, and for the first time in his life, he quit something. But we dont know his day to day life. He has poured millions into charities and funding athletic programs for youth. I would say that outweighs the bed he just laid in. Whether he did it or not on tour, that will never be known. But if it were me, and I was tired of constant and limitless allegations from government, then I would drop it all, too, and focus on the important things. Cycling is one of the most dope oriented sports. Half the people that win, you can guess whether they doped or not.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think it's dispicable that a US agency can take away his monumental 7 titles on the basis of accusation. They haven't proven anything and when I read the article it just screamed, "Guilty until proven innocent." It's un-American, and I think that if there is anything to be gained from this witch hunt, it is to further humiliate the US and take away a standard of American exceptionalism.

I wouldn't be surprised of the USADA starts going after our Olympians next.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Well, in my eyes, as an Austinite and Longhorn fan til I die, that makes him pretty kickass.

He never tested positive. He has been fighting this for so long, and he has a family to take care of, a HUGE charity to run, and a life to live. I don't know what the truth is, but if he had been doping, I have a hard time believing we'd still be sitting here without any actual hard evidence that he was.
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    "You're quitting? I thought about quitting once, after I found out that I had lung, testicular and brain cancer... all at the same time. How are you dying?"
    -Lance Armstrong
    He's quitting what he, and I'm sure his friends and family, have deemed unimportant, and unwinable. He has fought this for more than a decade. The have yet to PROVE anything. I believe he quit the BS so he could continue with things that are really important...as he said in his statement.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options

^^this
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    "Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever"
    ... need i say more?
    Yes, please do. Just as soon as you have been through half the *kitten* he and his family have been through.

He tested positive ONCE! For a drug he was given permission to use. Other than that, not a single time in hundreds of tests, over years and years and years.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Perhaps to get better treatment for the doping they did TRYING to beat him.

Why are we always so willing to believe the worst? I have seen NO proof he doped. I really kind of miss the America where a person was innocent until proven guilty...and a lot of other stuff that used to be.

According to the justice system: pleading no contest is pleading guilty. But he declared in is submission that he was innocent, and gave GOOD reason for quitting the suit. It is not like he is just kicking back at his 10 million dollar mansion or anything. He is running charities, cancer research facilities and stuff. Id say, kudos to him! I dont really care about his "wins"
  • krullone
    krullone Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Well, in my eyes, as an Austinite and Longhorn fan til I die, that makes him pretty kickass.

He never tested positive. He has been fighting this for so long, and he has a family to take care of, a HUGE charity to run, and a life to live. I don't know what the truth is, but if he had been doping, I have a hard time believing we'd still be sitting here without any actual hard evidence that he was.

True, true... just joking really, no one really knows but him. BOOMER SOONER!
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can understand why he would step away, if all of the testing he has been though didn't prove his innocence, what could he ever say or do that would. To me he would just spend endless dollars for something that can never be proved.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!!!^^^ Nothing else freaking matters!

BUUUUUTTTTT
    Don't care if he was. Not even a little.

This as well.