Ice cold water burns calories!

Options
Let's figure out exactly what you're burning when you drink a 16-ounce (0.5 liter) glass of ice water:

The temperature of ice water can be estimated at zero degrees Celsius.
Body temperature can be estimated at 37 degrees Celsius.
It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
There are 473.18 grams in 16 fluid ounces of water.
So in the case of a 16-ounce glass of ice water, your body must raise the temperature of 473.18 grams of water from zero to 37 degrees C. In doing so, your body burns 17,508 calories. But that's calories with a little "c." Your body only burns 17.5 Calories, and in the grand scheme of a 2,000-Calorie diet, that 17.5 isn't very significant.

But let's say you adhere to the "eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day" nutritional recommendation. In 64 ounces of water, there are 1,892.72 grams. So to warm up all that water in the course of a day, your body burns 70,030 calories, or 70 Calories. And over time, that 70 Calories a day adds up. So, while you definitely shouldn't depend on ice water consumption to replace exercise or a healthy diet, drinking cold water instead of warm water does, in fact, burn some extra Calories!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/question447.htm

Replies

• tallskinnyblond
    Options
    Wow that's really cool. I always try to drink ice water because it boosts your metabolism, and I'm definitely going to do it more often!
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Do you also add calories burned processing different types of food? Isn't this all just calculated in with TDEE. Seems silly to me. Does your body not burn calories cooling down coffee, as an example? Why not factor that in too. Shoot, pretty soon, I don't have to exercise with all the heating and cooling my body is doing to food and drinks. Awesome.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Do you also add calories burned processing different types of food? Isn't this all just calculated in with TDEE. Seems silly to me. Does your body not burn calories cooling down coffee, as an example? Why not factor that in too. Shoot, pretty soon, I don't have to exercise with all the heating and cooling my body is doing to food and drinks. Awesome.

^^agree

Also to get that 70 cal benefit you need to be drinking water at 0oC. That is very cold. Most people when given a glass of water at or near zero will naturally leave it sitting on the table for a while and sip it, bit by bit. The last bit of water from the glass will be significantly warmer than zero.

I agree that water can aid weight loss though.... drink plenty and your frequent bathroom visits will burn lots of cals.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Indeed, just check out how much energy the body has to expend to process a gram of protein versus a gram of carbohydrate (or fat). Proof that a calorie isn't a calorie ...

I would say that if you are chugging ice cold water as a weight loss strategy then you have an eating disorder.
  • Karena_Juarez
    Options
    this is just one small way to help get your metabolism started, I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone should depend on this alone to lose weight. The simple fact is that not any one thing will work but adding this with eating right and exercising is beneficial.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    this is just one small way to help get your metabolism started, I didn't mean to insinuate that anyone should depend on this alone to lose weight. The simple fact is that not any one thing will work but adding this with eating right and exercising is beneficial.

When did my metabolism stop?
  • Karena_Juarez
    Options

I dont know if yours has stoped or not. . . . I was only eating one meal a day before I started myfitness pal so MY metaolism was slowed dramaticly. If the information I posted doesnt help you that's fine it just one of the things that has benifited me. I've lost 26lbs since June so I must be doing something right. "_"
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Indeed, just check out how much energy the body has to expend to process a gram of protein versus a gram of carbohydrate (or fat). Proof that a calorie isn't a calorie ...

It's proof that the body expends a different amount of energy processing the various macronutrients. It does not prove that a calorie isn't a calorie. It's the same unit of energy going into your mouth and thermodynamics still accounts for this on the energy-out side of the equation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I dont know if yours has stoped or not. . . . I was only eating one meal a day before I started myfitness pal so MY metaolism was slowed dramaticly. If the information I posted doesnt help you that's fine it just one of the things that has benifited me. I've lost 26lbs since June so I must be doing something right. "_"

Eating one meal a day v 10 meals a day has no impact to your metabolism. calories and macros remaining the same. I assume that you have been restricting calories since joining MFP which is the reason for the weight loss, not intra day meal timing.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Nobody is questioning your progress. You are succeeding because you are eating less calories than you need. You are not succeeding because of any thermic effect created by cold water consumption.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Proof that a calorie isn't a calorie ...

That's like saying a joule isn't a joule or a Btu isn't a Btu
  • ChinkyButt
    ChinkyButt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice cold water also helps to solidify the oils in your body, creating these nice lil' fatty balls that stick to and build up in your colon...eventually being cancerous.

I think I'll just keep my lukewarm water and take a walk.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Drinking ice cold water also helps to solidify the oils in your body, creating these nice lil' fatty balls that stick to and build up in your colon...eventually being cancerous.

not sure if srs
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I like how you explained that:)

I always wondered about this and really how many calories we are talking here lol Good stuff!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

not sure if srs

That was my first thought as well: this HAS to be sarcasm.

And then I realized how many utterly daft statements I have read on MFP. :noway:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Holy crap, this old fable is still around?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/coldwater.asp
  • Karena_Juarez
    Options

Nobody is questioning your progress. You are succeeding because you are eating less calories than you need. You are not succeeding because of any thermic effect created by cold water consumption.

I don’t believe that I'm losing weight with Ice Cold Water. As I have said already, I believe it’s a combination of eating right and exercise that has made the difference. I have been reading daily on different ways to help my metabolism and thought I’d share what I had learned. I also attached the link to the website where I read the information. I will say that I regret post anything. My only intend was to share something that I read.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wow that's really cool. I always try to drink ice water because it boosts your metabolism, and I'm definitely going to do it more often!

Drinking ice water will NOT boost your metabolism. Green tea also will not work.
  • Karena_Juarez
    Options
    How do you drink your water? We don't mean on the rocks, or with whiskey. We mean cold. And often. A study at the University of Utah found that people who are better hydrated have higher metabolic rates. Eight to twelve 8-oz. glasses of water every day will do the trick [source: University of Utah].

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/10-things-dieters-need-to-know-about-metabolism4.htm

if there is anyone who doesnt agree with this can you please point me in the right direction (website) where I can read more accurate information, just like I have attached the address for where I found this information. :noway: