Halibut

Options
colleen586
colleen586 Posts: 12 Member
Any good tips on preparing Halibut? My parents just got back from a trip to Alaska and brought a bunch back for everyone.

Replies

• fuzzybutler
    Options
    I've always found that the less you do, the better. I add salt, pepper, a little lemon juice, and some fresh dill. Depending on how thick the fillets are, I found the best way is to either broil or grill it. If you think the filets are too thin to grill and still want to cook them on a camping trip, place them in a disposable foil tray and add 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil to avoid sticking. Serve it over some rice. Fresh Halibut is by far tastier than farmed fish and the flavor requires a lot less enhancing. Hope you enjoy.:wink::wink:
  • drsdghtr
    drsdghtr Posts: 27
    Options
    Spray nonstick spray on your pan. Cook in the oven approx 375 degrees. Place it on the pan and sprinkle butter buds, lemon pepper seasoning, and a bit of garlic powder on top according to how much seasonings you like. Bake until cooked completely. It's so simple and so tasty. Good luck, and I'm very envious of you right now!
  • colleen586
    colleen586 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! About how long do you cook it for? Is there a good way to batter fry it for my husband? I will eat it just baked/grilled, but I don't know how he would like that.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My kids loved it when I used pancake batter to dip fish, fresh vegetables even hot dogs.
  • hatescardio
    hatescardio Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Our favorite is marinating in Italian dressing overnight & then bbq it - the leftovers mashed up w/mayo make a great "tuna-like" spread - and add some fresh cilantro (use it like lettuce) on the sandwich & it's amazing!!! Hmmmm...ideas for dinner!!
    Cook until it's easy to seperate at the thickest part - easiest way I've found to cook it without killing it twice.

I also had a friend that lived in AK part time that told me how to make what he called "poor-mans lobster" - cut it into 1-2" pieces & toss into a boiling pot of seasoned water - when it floats to the top, it's done - serve w/lemon and butter. :smile: