Sugar is keeping me from my goal weight. Sugar and booze.

Options

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is IIFIYM go for it....Just make sure to log EVERYTHING. I am a sugarholic too & I have weaned myself to use Stevia in my morning coffee now but with my chocolate or sweets, I just eat a little at a time b/c once I get a bite or two then wait a few minutes I feel that I satisfied my sweet tooth...With alcohol (for me margaritas...YUM) I just make sure to log them & if it fits, I drink 1 or 2 (or more at times...lol)

Don't stress too much b/c you know that causes belly fat too...:cry:

Best of luck to you....You CAN do it!! The last 10lbs or so are ALWAYS the hardest...Just have patience & you will get there!! :flowerforyou:
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE sweets fanatic (ice cream, cake, cookies, etc). I have found some really easy recipes that use a cake mix and either applesauce, canned pumpkin, diet soda, etc instead of oil and egg. I usually use applesauce or pumpkin and I throw in shredded carrots, zucchini, whatever to make them more healthy. And instead of making a cake, I'll make muffinx/cupcakes so they are pre-portioned. Sometimes I'll make mini ones and they're even smaller. Good luck!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any advice. I'm just replying because I have the same exact problem!! Only mine was dr pepper lol. I have cut back to one a day, but have no desire to cut it out completely. I just work it in. I also drink a lot of beer. It cuts into my calories, but I make it all work, for now. I know when I get close to my goal weight I will have the same issues you are having now. :( I'm not looking forward to that.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    "Sugar" itself does not make you fat. If your macros are in check,(protein, carbs, fat) and you are consuming less calories than you are burning, you will continue to lose weight.

I've lost almost 20 lbs, and I do not track my sugar intake at all. I make sure whatever treat I want ( be it ice cream, cake, cookies, etc) fits into my allotted calories for the day, and then I eat it, enjoy it.

I believe that when we "limit" ourselves and what we can eat- is when we want the "bad" things that much more and then over indulge. Having a sweet something everyday is not going to kill you or your healthy eating plan.

Perfectly stated Sarah.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE sweets fanatic (ice cream, cake, cookies, etc). I have found some really easy recipes that use a cake mix and either applesauce, canned pumpkin, diet soda, etc instead of oil and egg. I usually use applesauce or pumpkin and I throw in shredded carrots, zucchini, whatever to make them more healthy. And instead of making a cake, I'll make muffinx/cupcakes so they are pre-portioned. Sometimes I'll make mini ones and they're even smaller. Good luck!

Have you had the brownies that use black beans instead of egg and oil? Delicious!
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    "Sugar" itself does not make you fat. If your macros are in check,(protein, carbs, fat) and you are consuming less calories than you are burning, you will continue to lose weight.

I've lost almost 20 lbs, and I do not track my sugar intake at all. I make sure whatever treat I want ( be it ice cream, cake, cookies, etc) fits into my allotted calories for the day, and then I eat it, enjoy it.

I believe that when we "limit" ourselves and what we can eat- is when we want the "bad" things that much more and then over indulge. Having a sweet something everyday is not going to kill you or your healthy eating plan.

Perfectly stated Sarah.

I totally agree. I lost the first 60 eating just like I do now. But that is not working for me anymore. : ( I need more willpower or to just love my bod the way it is now.
  • superhippiechik
    Options
    One note though and I have to admit I'm not a big drinker but its not just the empty calories in the beer - the alcohol slows down your metabolism for up to A WEEK as it works through your system (not just digestive but liver and kidneys).

Remeber alcohol is a poison as far as your bady is concerned :-(

I don't think there's anything wrong with your fruit intake - its a good source of calories and contains fibre and lots of other vitamins essential to good health! :-)

The chocolate and ice cream - I'm with ya there! But I agree with others posts - moderation...just a little ice cream, not half the tub!

Good luck with losing the last 12lbs

I did not know it slowed my metabolism down like that!!!! I only drink on the weekends but that info SUCKS!!!! Thank you for filling me in.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I switched my sugar out of my coffee for Domino Light (stevia + care sugar). Less sugar but just as yummy. I use less now because stevia is sweeter than sugar.

I have the same problem with morning smoothies/juice. Maybe reduce the fruit a bit and add a carrot/tomato (NEVER broccolli. Gross.)

Liquour is lower calorie and suger than beer :drinker:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    One note though and I have to admit I'm not a big drinker but its not just the empty calories in the beer - the alcohol slows down your metabolism for up to A WEEK as it works through your system (not just digestive but liver and kidneys).

I did not know it slowed my metabolism down like that!!!! I only drink on the weekends but that info SUCKS!!!! Thank you for filling me in.

Good news, not true...
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/459176-does-drinking-alcohol-slow-your-metabolism/

Just stick with moderation and you will do fine.
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Good news, not true...
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/459176-does-drinking-alcohol-slow-your-metabolism/

Just stick with moderation and you will do fine.

So if the article is accurate in its information then the question (and the article does not specifically address this) does the process increase of thermogenesis burning calories offset the liver's process of converting alcohol to a substance it can use and the resulting impairment of the body's ability to burn fat as a source of energy???

Also as people trying to lose weight - we are not a control group drinking a certain amount of glasses of white wine vs our fruit intake...many overweight people need to boost their metabolism to lose the weight as unhealthy eating and inactivity has made it not as effecient as it could be.

The article is too short and non-specific to properly inform on the issue.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I am so close!
    Seriously.
    I am 12 pounds away from being the same weight I was before I got pregnant with my 1st. daughter 17 1/2 years ago. I know my addiction to Sugar,(Ice Cream,Chocolate and every fruit known to man)Latte's:drinker: and my love of Beer are the reason but I just can not seem to find the will power to give them up.

You can lose 12 lbs in 5 weeks, you're that close. You have to limit your beer drinking to the weekends only. You can buy skinny cow ice cream bars. Chocolate sugar free vitatops. You can drink half a latte. If you have a smoothie for breakfast, you can't eat fruit through the rest of the day. It's a choice.
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Have you had the brownies that use black beans instead of egg and oil? Delicious!

I haven't! I usually use pumpkin in brownies. I will definitely have to try black beans. Is it just brownie mix and a can of pureed black beans? Will def be trying this!
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with really salty foods and wine. Oh i love me some wine. And I know the everything in moderation stuff and not being too restrictive. But I couldnt ever stop after a few chips or 1 glass of wine. I had to cut it out completely for a few weeks, and then my cravings went away. I can now have just a little bit of whatever I want if it fits into my calories and I can stop.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Pick and choose. I love my glass of wine after supper and to me I'd rather have that then a serving of ice cream. I love having a piece of fruit for lunch much more than adding sugar to my coffee. You don't have to cut it out completely just chose one or two servings of sugar or alcohol a day.

I support this idea. Also, if it's not in the house, you can't eat it. Figure out a few items for your fix and only keep those in the house.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There's room in any diet for sugar and beer so long as you're consuming the amounts of protein and fat you need. After you've given your body what it needs, why not have an occasional treat? It's all about balance and doing the correct planning. KNOW what you're eating by weighing, measuring and planning.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Water? Are you drinking and just not logging it? Ok so you know your calorie intake allowed for a day. Just factor in what bad thing you want to eat. Honestly, I would cut the sugar, up protein and just every once in awhile treat yourself to something.....
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Micholeb Ultra and apples with peanut butter! Im not a big drinker but ive always loved my micholeb ultra, sweet wine and sweets! Since ive been focusing on my diet and exercise i find that i dont want or eat the sweets because it defeats what i just worked so hard at all day so i settle for an apple with natural low sodium peanut butter for my sweet treat ( although on occassion ill still have bday cake ice cream i just portion it) and as for drinking i notice i feel crappy the nxt day from a few beers. I think when you eat healthy and exercise when you drink it hits the system harder etc. Anyways its everything in moderation as they say! You can still have what you want just try to look for healthier versions that still taste good and portion control! Also watch your sodium! When i go over with that i have water weight for like a week! Best of luck!
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    :smile:
    First of all congrats on your weight loss. I know how hard it is to give up something you love or that your used to. However you can acually still satisfy your sweet tooth and still keep up your weight goal. So try using the no calerie sweeteners such as Splenda or Trvia. They taste just like real suger but you can enjoy it without undoing your progress. And try making your own smoothies at home using fresh fruit skim milk and any of the sweeteners i have already mentioned. And also try limiting to one light beer upon craving.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not to state the obvious, but if you know what your problems are, and you choose not to do anything about those problems, you will not see change.
    ^This guy is right. Here's the criticism: If they're a problem, reduce them or cut them out.
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bud Select 55!

THIS!