Canned fish

Options
I really like canned fish... tuna, salmon, sardines etc. I'd like to be able to eat a can a day for lunch, but I'm not sure if this is safe. I'd eat a variety of fish like maybe tuna twice a week, salmon twice , sardines twice and something else for the 7th.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I limit my fish intake to only 3 or 4 times a week?

Replies

• cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Bumping this cause it may be valuable information for me as well.

I LOVE canned tuna! It's a very affordable source of protein for me and has no carbs, I eat a can a day and it has been phenomenal for my weight loss.

Could it potentially be doing me harm as well?
  • ksabourin67
    Options
    You need to be concerned about mercury levels in the fish. I don't think having canned fish everyday is a good idea or recommended. 2 -3 times a week is sufficient. That's what is suggested here in Canada.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the type and amount you are eating. I've read that white albacore tuna is higher in mercury than the cheaper canned tuna. In general the bigger the fish, the higher in mercury so I would imagine sardines would be pretty low.

Salmon, like tuna, would probably vary by the size and age of the fish used. I've read so many varying things on mercury in seafood that I'm not convinced anyone really knows the risk and there are probably many variables at play.

Sorry, I'm sure that wasn't much help. :ohwell:
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not to sure aboutthe mercury but i love canned Tuna and its an important source of protein for me. I would think the main concern would be sodium, but i try to stay with the low sodium variety.
  • asticoral
    Options
    Be concerned about the mercury AND sodium

here's a website for good fish and less than describable: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

For the sodium rinse the tuna before using - lowers the amount by about 35%
    I use this for any canned product I can get away with doing it

I've been getting the Supreme Choice Fillets found in the freezer area 1.39 at the local grocer (4 oz) they have Haddock, Tilapia and Perch here.
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thx for the info!
  • nicolars1977
    Options
    oh boy, i eat it five times a week in my lunch
  • asticoral
    Options
    Thx for the info!

Quite welcome! My friend gave me a nice recipe for a tuna patty and we were both eating them often, then ran across this article reading about alternate fish for the patty ( in the database as flat tuna patty ) was a shocker for me!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Eat wild caught Alaska salmon, no mercury or other methyl ethyl bad sht. I get a stack of 6 oz cans of Bear and Wolf at Costco and usually have a can for lunch 4-5 times a week.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options

here's a website for good fish and less than describable: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

I've been getting the Supreme Choice Fillets found in the freezer area 1.39 at the local grocer (4 oz) they have Haddock, Tilapia and Perch here.

Thanks a ton for this info! And everyone else for their input. I will continue to enjoy my daily tuna, now with less sodium
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    http://www.ewg.org/tunacalculator?lbs=106&sex=female

There's a tuna calculator where it tells you how much canned tuna you can safely consume in a week ;3.
  • likeswhiskey
    Options
    I buy low sodium tuna and salmon, so I'm not too worried about that.