Spin - what type of class do you prefer?

Options
I used to be a regular at spin classes a few years ago (twice a week), and I loved it, ithe instructors were both cyclists, one was an iron-man fanatic and the other, road cycling/touring. Both classes were different but focused on proper technique, and combined spin sprints with slow, heavy hills, changing the resistance & followed the music quite closely. (tempo-based or standing for chorus, sitting for verses etc). I stopped going as one of the instructors left and was replaced by a girl that was obsessed with 3-4 minute spins, low resistance, & disregarding the tunes (90s dance usually!) and i found this really boring. :-(

Last week i went back to a new class and the(different again) instructor was again focussed on v low resistance/fast legs and no technique at all... I just wondered if this was the norm and my old instructors were the anomalies? I find these new classes really boring with little variation. in facty i went back again to the class this week to see if it was just a one-off, but she did the ame routine, just with a different danc mega-mix CD on :-( and even the instructor was bouncing around in the seat as her resistance was so low & legs so fast. (something i had been taught was incorrect, there should be enough tension so your bottom stays on the seat?!))

I used to LOVE spin, but finding it difficult not to get annoyed at these classes.
What kind of spin class is yours? what style do you prefer? AM I ODD?!

Replies

• HRCephei
    HRCephei Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    She's gotta be off. Spin is all about technique and resistance. Good grief. I'd never go back to her class again
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Around the area we have BikeOrBar which is a locally owned spinning facility. Their classes range from ones for beginners that help you learn how to up the resistance to classes that incorporate kettlebell exercises. I love it there! Even the beginners ones are challenging! I too stopped spinning for awhile because my gym has crap spinning bikes and times for the classes, but thankfully this place opened up, is relatively affordable, and reminded me of what great cross training spinning is for distance running!
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    My instructors change it up. Sometimes its mostly sprints, then another time hills and those are my favorite. Im not as big of a fan of tempo rides, but do them because I like my instructors.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I've found it all varies with the gym and the instructor's style. I've had some really good ones, and I've had some really bad ones. My old gym had 10 different classes in a week, all with different instructors, so I could pick and choose and attend those I liked. We had a contingent of male instructors with 'groupies' (super skinny girls who wore full make-up, designer gym clothes and barely broke a sweat)--I started avoiding those classes. Others tended to chose classic rock and I had a hard time getting my heart rate up to that. All of the instructors at that gym were very focused on form and making sure that the class participants were spinning safely.

My new gym has less classes and less instructors, so I've stopped going to classes. I've been spinning for 10 years now, so I know enough to put together my own mixes and get out there--you just have to have the drive to do it yourself.

During one class at the new gym, I noticed several of the participants clearly spinning unsafely, and I mentioned something to the instructor after class about the gym having some responsibility to make sure that people were not getting injured or doing harm. He actually said that people complained about being 'harassed' by the instructors, so they stopped focusing on form. Ridiculous.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I take spin classes at a local gym, and our instructors focus on a variety of moves and exercises, usually changing about every song. So, for one song, we will do a lot of tension, hovering over the seat, and some standing up. The next song will have us doing sprints, pushups on the handle bars and "jumps" without any tension. It's a great workout and they introduce new moves all the time to keep us interested.
    Sorry your recent instructor sucks! Sounds like she doesn't have a clue.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I used to be a regular at spin classes a few years ago (twice a week), and I loved it, ithe instructors were both cyclists, one was an iron-man fanatic and the other, road cycling/touring. Both classes were different but focused on proper technique, and combined spin sprints with slow, heavy hills, changing the resistance & followed the music quite closely. (tempo-based or standing for chorus, sitting for verses etc). I stopped going as one of the instructors left and was replaced by a girl that was obsessed with 3-4 minute spins, low resistance, & disregarding the tunes (90s dance usually!) and i found this really boring. :-(

Last week i went back to a new class and the(different again) instructor was again focussed on v low resistance/fast legs and no technique at all... I just wondered if this was the norm and my old instructors were the anomalies? I find these new classes really boring with little variation. in facty i went back again to the class this week to see if it was just a one-off, but she did the ame routine, just with a different danc mega-mix CD on :-( and even the instructor was bouncing around in the seat as her resistance was so low & legs so fast. (something i had been taught was incorrect, there should be enough tension so your bottom stays on the seat?!))

I used to LOVE spin, but finding it difficult not to get annoyed at these classes.
    What kind of spin class is yours? what style do you prefer? AM I ODD?!

No, you're spot on.
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I regularly take spin classes and they vary depending on instructors. As with all classes, you have to find the right instructor that fit your needs. There are two spin instructors at my gym that I try not to miss their classes. Both of them focus on proper technique, endurance and increasing strength. I don't bother with instructors who want you to sprint with low resistance; I find these classes useless.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When the resistance is low you should not be bouncing around, and I would question the expertise of any instructor that is doing this during class since shes teaching bad form. I just started taking spin a few months and and I've only taken classes with one spin instructor but I like her style and her playlist. She focuses on proper technique, following the tempo of the music, and most of the class has the resistance up for slow and fast hills but there are a couple very fast intervals with the resistance almost all the way down. If someone isn't doing something properly, such as bouncing around, she finds a convenient moment during a song to come down and quietly correct them. I've been thinking about branching out and taking more spin classes, since she only teaches three times a week in a convenient time slot, but stories like this make me not want to. Good luck finding a better class!
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I take spin classes at a local gym, and our instructors focus on a variety of moves and exercises, usually changing about every song. So, for one song, we will do a lot of tension, hovering over the seat, and some standing up. The next song will have us doing sprints, pushups on the handle bars and "jumps" without any tension. It's a great workout and they introduce new moves all the time to keep us interested.
    Sorry your recent instructor sucks! Sounds like she doesn't have a clue.
    this sounds like my old classes, think i need to find a different class!! I'm tempted to speak to someone at the leisure centre regarding this instructor.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i prefer when it relates to real outdoor cycling not where its like bounce all around crazy activity thing that happens to be on a bike
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    --for the OP... I like the same spin classes that you do... if I had the other kind you describe I would likely stop going as well. I've never been in one that was all low resistance sprints. All of my instructors here use a combination of sprints, hills, etc. I find the "other" classes you describe to be the odd ones... not the ones you enjoy. :happy:
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    We have quite a few different classes at my gym. I prefer the interval class. You do a 2-3 song warmup, then do 4-6 four minute songs where you give all that you can, and then two minutes in between to relax. It's awesome, and you burn and sweat like there is no tomorrow. Perfect and usually about 45-55 minutes long.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i go to lifetime fitness and the instructors have a set schedule they are given monthly for each class which includes: Hills, aerobic endurance, AT interval, or speed play---Good luck finding a great instructor and ask around!!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I used to go to classes with an instructor who did the exact same thing every single class, including playing the same music. I finally just started doing my own thing that related to actual cycling and I had much better results. Luckily I just got my own spin bike and I can formulate my own routine now!
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    What this instructor is doing is totally wrong and she is cheating you and your classmates. I am a recently certified instructor and have been taking about 5 spin classes a week for over a year now. Resistance is your friend and without it you are setting yourself up for a knee injury not to mention you are not working your body to it's full potential.

Sprinting should be done at a cadence of around 100 RPM (rotations per minute.) Climbing should be done at a cadence of around 60 RPM. Bouncing in your seat is not good and it is an indication that the person needs to turn their resistance up. If I see this in my class I remind my students that they neeed to turn it up. However, I will not turn it up for them simply because if I do and they injure themselves I or the gym I work for could be sued.

I also try to mix my classes up by doing a climb, sprints, then a hover or jump song. And I have several different routines I will rotate. If I were in your shoes I would probably approach who ever is in charge at the gym and let them know what is going on in the class. They may not be aware that this instructor is teaching this way and they may want to know because if she is not using resistance and she is teaching this way her students will imitate what she does and she is a liabilty to that gym. It is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Some work outs are more speed focused. Some are more endurance focused. Some are a mix of both. If an instructor ever told me to do a push up or a tricep dip on a spin bike I’d find another instructor. That’s what the floor and the bench are for.
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replys, I'm going to make a visit to the leisure centre over the weekend anyway so I'll drop a comments card in about the class. Plus book into a different instructor's spin class.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've been going to spin classes for about 12 years and during that time, at three different gyms. Currently, I am at Lifetime and like their spin classes the best because of the variety they offer. As the previous poster stated, they switch it up often so you are never bored and your body does not get used to the same routine. And I would not ride a spin bike without proper tension on-too hard on your knees!:noway: