Logging calories and meals...

Options
Do you guys and gals log your calories or meals before you eat them or after? Just curious

Replies

• jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do it after , usually i have no idea what i am going to eat beforehand , just make it up as i go along , lol
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    after, only because i never know the exact amount im going to eat, or wether i decide not to eat
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I always log before. In fact, I usually log my entire day in the morning or even the night before. Planning is key to being successful.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sometimes before, sometimes after. If I know I'm going out to eat one day, I'll log the food I'm going to order before I go.

Most days I log after...usually soon after the meal. I don't wait until the end of the day to log it all. Doing it throughout the day helps me keep track of how much I have left and helps me plan my next meal.

When do you log?
  • lizzy00125
    lizzy00125 Posts: 138
    Options
    I will usually do it the day before. If I feel like doing a last minute change I do but I like to have the plan beforehand.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    After. I've done it before...but then I always have to go back anyway.
  • kimmiedunne
    kimmiedunne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I log them before. I log my entire day in the morning so it's planned out and I rarely go off schedule. It keeps me from eating something that I shouldn't because I already logged the day. If it does happen to change I go in and change it, but that doesn't happen very often. For me it keeps me on track.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    I do before sometimes, during other times, and some days I am eating it while logging it.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a rush, I log it after. If it's new foods or a new recipe, I normally have items to scan and check on the database, so will likely do it before. That way, I can plan alterations to my recipes to keep with my calories for that day. Also helps me decide if I really do want that dessert... :smile:
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I generally plan my meals a day in advance, and adjust the day of if need be.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always log before. In fact, I usually log my entire day in the morning or even the night before. Planning is key to being successful.

^^This!
    I log everything I'm going to eat for the day while I'm eating my breakfast. It's a rare day when I don't do this.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Before almost always. Sometimes it's right before I take a bite, more often it's earlier.
  • keliana1
    keliana1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Usually after unless I'm eating out. I love that the mobile app tells me how many calories something is going to be so I can figure out what to order and how much of it I can eat and still stay within my target zone.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Since I usually have the same breakfast, lunch and snack I do those before. Dinner changes but if I am eating at home I log it before I eat to make sure I am in line. Eating out does make it harder if I am eating at someones house etc.
  • monram34
    monram34 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Before! I usually have my whole day planned out.
  • alison0511
    Options

^^THIS!^^ I too log most of my food for the day in the morning and try to stick to it. You can always make changes or deletions if it pans out differently, but it gives you a good idea of where you're at, and how much leeway you have for snacks and meal portions throughout the day. And if not in the morning, I definitely try my best to log right before a meal, because then it's not about relying on myself to know when to quit and being tempted to push it. If I have an amount in mind before, and already know how much I can afford to eat... then I'm much more likely to have a smart meal/portion than if I didn't, and I don't feel deprived, but savor the portion I have.

I also try to do this as much as I can when restaurant meals come up. If I find out where we're going beforehand, I try to quick look up the menu on their website so I'll be prepared to order when I'm there. If it's something more spontaneous and I don't have time to figure it out ahead of time, then I have to rely on myself to pick smarter options - grilled things, salad, half portions etc... and then log afterward. A lot of restaurants are getting really good about posting low-calorie sections with good choices.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Mostly after.. since I know exactly what I eat and how much, (and I very rarely eat back exercise cals) it's easy to remember and log.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If I know what I'm going to be eating for dinner I will pre-log it. It makes it easier to decide what I want to eat for rest of the day.
  • Fockertots
    Fockertots Posts: 221
    Options
    Always after.

When I get all Nazi on myself and start pre-logging and menu planning, by the time every meal comes up, I don't want it anymore.
    I'm a **** like that.

I log after and call it good.
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I usually log afterwards but if I know I'm not going to have reception or computer access I'll log them before!