Running help?

Options
My daughter and I have decided to try to jog/run to help lose some weight and get in shape. We are both overweight and find ourselves out of breath very quickly. Are there any tips or suggestions that could help us improve pace and or breathing. We don't get very far but each night set a goal for a little farther (one mailbox, the next mailbox etc). Hoping that one day we can do a mile or more. Will the breathing and heavy chest feeling ever go away?

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    http://www.c25k.com/

highly recommended

" Will the breathing and heavy chest feeling ever go away?".... yes it will.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went from being a total non-runner to being abe to run a 5k and beyond with the Couch 2 5k program. Google c25k and/or find an app for your smart phone or iPod. It takes you through nine weeks of walking/running intervals, slowly building up the running and decreasing the walking until you're running for 30 minutes straight.

Works great!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, Couch to 5K for sure! I started with that and while it took me 13 weeks to do the 8 week program, I can now run 4.5 to 5 miles at a time! It's still incredibly hard, but I can do it. 5Ks are now my normal workout for running.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the c25k program. I started a little over 4 months ago and could hardly run for 1 minute (I was 5'4", 175) and now if I go slow enough to keep my heart rate down, I can run for an entire hour!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    What they said! C25k is the best beginner's program I've ever seen. Eases you into it and challenges you just enough to get you addicted to the fantastic results running gives you!
  • RachArmstrong
    RachArmstrong Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    agree with the above re C25K

Also, if you're starting, start slow. For weeks I hardly jogged, but did what I call the fat girl trot :) Faster than walking but slower than jogging.

The build the distance and the speed will come.

Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running and are still at a fairly low level of fitness you may want to consider a combination of walking and running to start off with.

When I started I could barely get around the block with feeling like I was going to die. I started of with 100% walking then added 1 minute of very slow running followed by a walk break, then 2 minutes of slow running etc etc

If you're getting out of breath slow down, pay attention to how your body feels. It's hard work but you shouldn't be gasping for air - it takes a bit of practice to get your pace right.

You'll be surprised at how quickly your fitness starts to improve as long as you're consistent (3 or 4 times per week) and progress gradually. Most running injuries are caused by too much, too soon, too fast - take your time and listen to your body.

Running is both exhilarating and liberating, one of the few sports where all you need is a decent pair of running shoes and somewhere to run. Have fun!
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I have decided to try to jog/run to help lose some weight and get in shape. We are both overweight and find ourselves out of breath very quickly. Are there any tips or suggestions that could help us improve pace and or breathing. We don't get very far but each night set a goal for a little farther (one mailbox, the next mailbox etc). Hoping that one day we can do a mile or more. Will the breathing and heavy chest feeling ever go away?