Is Medifast Worth the Money?

Options
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying the program for a month, but the cost gives me pause. Is it worth the money? Are the results any better than doing it on your own? I need opinions!

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Not in my opinion, it's always best to do it on your own. But sometimes you just got to try it to see for yourself
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd read the article that someone posted about repairing a damaged metabolism and then rethink engaging in a diet which restricts you to 600-800 calories/day :)
  • sfstegall
    sfstegall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I went on the Medifast in 2000. Within 8 months I had dropped 88 pounds. I lost several sizes; there were whole shops I could no longer patronize because I was so much smaller. I went through several wardrobes, and looked better than I had in years. My group leader (you should NEVER go on this diet without medical supervision and group meetings for support!) told me I was his poster child.

However, after eight months of below-900 calorie dieting, my hair was falling out and my teeth were getting loose. With the help of a physician specializing in weight loss, the group leader trained in psychology, a registered dietician and a personal trainer, I worked out a program to transition back to normal eating. I aimed for 1200 calories a day (I am a small person) and a cardio workout 5 times a week. My goals were approved by my doctors and the others. I stuck to the program as faithfully as I had during the fasting part.

Every single ounce came back. Every. Single. Ounce.

Worse, I wound up being one of the 2% of participants that they warn you at the outset about: I lost my gall bladder, and have developed diabetes and metabolic syndrome. I have been struggling ever since with acid reflux so bad it has put me in the hospital. This, in spite of the fact that I adhered to the diet and worked out religiously. When my weight began to come back, I turned to my doctors/support again. They had no answers for me.

Did the diet work? Of course it did. Restricting your caloric intake to 900 calories a day will inevitably lead to weight loss. There are no fat starvation victims. However, the real problem is that starvation diets put your body into starvation mode, and triggers it to hang onto EVERY FREAKIN' CALORIE you ingest thereafter. The trouble is that science really does not know much about metabolism, does not understand the mechanics of PERMANENT weight loss, and has virtually no real scientific data about the different ways men and women lose weight. But unlike every other area of medical research, weight loss is the only area where failure is blamed on the patient, not the method or the lack of data. (When was the last time you heard of a failed cure for cancer being blamed on the patient?). Since medical science does not bother to actually play by the rules of science when it comes to weight loss (so much more lucrative to serve up expensive fantasy diets), it's no surprise that there has been little or no progress on this front for a century.

So, bottom line: I do not recommend a starvation diet. It will certainly work (and forget a month--you will need to commit to many months of starvation)--as long as you are on it. What happens after you go off the diet, is anyone's guess.
  • NeekoM03
    NeekoM03 Posts: 27
    Options
    IMO, absolutely not. This was a huge diet trend at my workplace a couple years ago. We all had incredible losses while on the program but within a year of completing it all but one out of 12 of us gained back most or all of the weight.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A coworker of mine told me a few weeks ago that she was starting Medifast.. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I felt it was a waste of time and money. I mentioned MFP as a cheaper alternative and said she should start by making healthier food choices, tracking her calories, and adding in exercise when she can, but she shrugged it off. I feel like her attitude was telling me she wanted something "easy" or something to "do it for her". Yeah, the shakes and stuff supplement most of your meals, but you're not learning how to eat correctly again (since poor choices, unnecessary snacking, and exaggerated portion sizes are typically what get us in trouble in the first place). Once you take away the stuff in the program (unless you want to pay to be on it forever, which I don't feel is very healthy) you are at more of a risk to gain it back in the long run.

I guess if you are completely determined to do it, please look at ALL angles of sustained weight-loss during the program. It's never to early to learn how to keep off weight you haven't lost yet.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese when I tried it. I lost 30 lbs in one month so that part was awesome. The bad part, it was so boring and gross that I couldn't continue on. I am not a sweets person and almost everything is chocolate, vanilla or some other sweet flavor. And if it wasn't, like their soups, it was so foul I couldn't bear to eat it. I likely didn't get near 800 calories per day because I just couldn't make myself drink/eat the stuff.

If you are doing it for only one month you should be good but don't buy a big plan because you might regret it.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying the program for a month, but the cost gives me pause. Is it worth the money? Are the results any better than doing it on your own? I need opinions!

No! No multi-level marketing company/ campaign like medifast, Visalus, Advocare, Beachbody, etc. IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY! Mediocre products for the price of high quality ones.

Think of how many levels/hands of people the products go through...
    They start with the cheapest ingredients possible to save on cost. So let's say one of their meal replacement shakes goes for $3 a container to be made by the manufacturer, then it gets transfered to a wholesaler for $6, then it gets shipped to the distributor for $12, then it finally gets to your rep for $20, who then sells it to you for $40-50.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My husband's office girl did it and could not stomach the food. It tasted nasty and gave her horrific gas. She ordered a different menu and gave it another go but again she could not stomach the food. She dealt with it for a week and then gave up again because the food was so bad.
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I went on for two weeks. I did lose 8 pounds and only gained back 2 when I went back to regular food. But I hated the food! And the cost is prohibitive too. Right after I stopped, I found this site and have lost the "real" way since. I much prefer this way.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have just looked on the site.

I have lost more weight in less time than their people on the site with testimonials and I have done it eating real food I can eat for the rest of my life.

I cant imagine having milkshakes for 2 meals a day will be sustainable for very long.

Waste of money in my opinion.
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are many different plans on Medifast.. I am very happy with it, but I eat about 1000-1200 a day about 100-125 carbs a day, After their transition and maintenance program I will be able to keep off my weight.. I tried everything else and at my age and with pre-diabetes (and on a vegetarian/vegan diet), high BP and bad knees and slow metabolism.. this i he ONLY thing that I could really stick too
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did medifast for about 6 months. I did lose about 50 pounds. I was one that lost weight very slowly because I was on birth control and that can slow you down greatly. I did go off the diet and also gained all my weight back. Now that I have joined MFP, I am losing. Some weeks are slow and some weeks are bigger in the weight loss. Medifast taught me very little in the way of how to do things properly in losing weight. Although I did learn that I do need to cut down on the carbs in order to lose weight and will have to keep the carb count low to maintain my goal weight. But not nearly as low as Medifast requires you to be at. I am much happier on MFP than I was on Medifast.
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options

No! No multi-level marketing company/ campaign like medifast, Visalus, Advocare, Beachbody, etc. IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY! Mediocre products for the price of high quality ones.

Think of how many levels/hands of people the products go through...
    They start with the cheapest ingredients possible to save on cost. So let's say one of their meal replacement shakes goes for $3 a container to be made by the manufacturer, then it gets transfered to a wholesaler for $6, then it gets shipped to the distributor for $12, then it finally gets to your rep for $20, who then sells it to you for $40-50.

Medifast is not a multi-level marketing company.. Listen do your research, if you are not morbidly obese, don't do it.. but it works! and is healthy..The meals cost about $2.00 each and for $10.00 a day, I was paying that much to eat out at lunch and you pay less for your monthly groceries.
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    I ordered the soy chips and 1 box of shakes. The shakes are nasty, the chips arent so bad and actually help with my salty/crunchy cravings. They are about as big of a bag as the $1 potato chips. They are only 70 calories.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    definitely not.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Nope. And I can pretty much say this with confidence since I've had many an experience with clients who used diets to lose and regain when they stopped.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    There are no shortcuts, miracle diets, miracle pills, new ways, scientific breakthroughs.
    Eat less, exercise more, done.
  • sonshinelady
    sonshinelady Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi...I used medifast to SUPPLEMENT my other meals. I began replacing my lunch every day with medifast. The drinks were like a SHAKE...they tasted AWESOME. And I got the high protien ones...choc. and vanilla and added fresh berries to the vanilla. BUT like the others have said. The food is NASTY...the NASTIEST!!!

I bought a very large amount of shakes...then realized I could get smaller portions for less or not more than the website itself on Ebay from individuals that wanted out. So if you want to try some and see if you like them...might try EBAY.

I am not familiar with the MEDIFAST DIET as you and others are talking bout. I just replaced one meal a day with a shake ...and I lost 11 pounds the first month, and 4 the second. After two months when I wasn't seeing bigger numbers, I put the drink/shakes away and went back to counting calories...

If you use them to replace your meals, a couple or one meal...you might have success. The ingredients were healthy on the shakes, plus you can add other fruits and veggies to them if you're that kind of a shake gal/guy.

But again, I don't recommend the food. YUCK!
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi...I used medifast to SUPPLEMENT my other meals. I began replacing my lunch every day with medifast. The drinks were like a SHAKE...they tasted AWESOME. And I got the high protien ones...choc. and vanilla and added fresh berries to the vanilla. BUT like the others have said. The food is NASTY...the NASTIEST!!!

I bought a very large amount of shakes...then realized I could get smaller portions for less or not more than the website itself on Ebay from individuals that wanted out. So if you want to try some and see if you like them...might try EBAY.

I am not familiar with the MEDIFAST DIET as you and others are talking bout. I just replaced one meal a day with a shake ...and I lost 11 pounds the first month, and 4 the second. After two months when I wasn't seeing bigger numbers, I put the drink/shakes away and went back to counting calories...

If you use them to replace your meals, a couple or one meal...you might have success. The ingredients were healthy on the shakes, plus you can add other fruits and veggies to them if you're that kind of a shake gal/guy.

But again, I don't recommend the food. YUCK!

But no less in calories, no less in nutrients and not better for you than cooking a piece of fish and some vegetables?

SO ultimately the shakes are a kop out for people too lazy to take control of their own meals?

Not having a go by the way just trying to understand why seemingly intelligent people would pay a load of money for some powdered vitamin tablets and vanilla essence and be happy to.

I have lost 60lbs in 5 months. Seems to be more than most of the people on the medifast diet. And I eat all kinds of delicious things. Burgers if I want, today I had sweet and sour chicken and rice AND cake. And I am never hungry.

I just cant get to grips with why people would swap out meals for a milkshake.

You cannot sustain that. You cant eat like that for the rest of your life (not YOU btw, just you in general haha)

ANyway to each their own I guess. Good luck to anyone no matter what method works. I'd just begrudge paying over the odds for some powder.