Help with toning arms !

Options
Hi people! I hope you're all well, more so I hope it's cooling off wherever you're from--as it's starting to do so here in Tejas ;)

Anyways, I've been wanting to start toning up my arms and I don't know what is a good weight for the dumbell... I keep thinking 5lb will be too light--so I am thinking I should go with an 8lb one... but then I'm thinking it might be too heavy... so I figured I would ask what is the best weight to start off with as I work myself up to at least 10lb... well... I guess until I tone my arms.. as I'm not looking muscles :/

Anyways... I'm rambling... hope you're all well :D

best,
mandy

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Try pushups first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The best weight to use is the one that feels comfortably challenging. If you are doing say, 10 repetitions, you should feel like you would really be struggling to do 12-15 reps with that weight and maintain good form.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Dips and planks are good to.
  • 100forme
    Options
    When I first started it was with 3lbs I slowly worked my way up to 15. When it becomes "easy" to do your sets you need more weight.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HeatherTransformed
    HeatherTransformed Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The best weight to use is the one that feels comfortably challenging. If you are doing say, 10 repetitions, you should feel like you would really be struggling to do 12-15 reps with that weight and maintain good form.

I think this is good advice.

I just started a few weeks ago with reps of 10 with a 5 lb weight. It's now not any problem to do, so I have increased to reps of 15. Probably next week I will increase to 8 lb.
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Shake weight
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Although pushups, dips, and planks are awesome, if someone has been doing nothing at all, these will be incredibly difficult.

I'd get an adjustable weight so that you can add to it and work you way up to body weight exercises.
  • mermegan
    mermegan Posts: 143
    Options
    Others can speak to free weights (I don't use them as often as I used to), but I've gotten my arms pretty strong with body weight exercises—tons of push ups, planks (several variations) and dips. Although running hills with a double jogger totally 110lbs w/kids doesn't hurt either :)

There's some great information on bodybuilding.com re: weights and proper form.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Will 8 pounds make you grunt?
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Shake weight

The Topic isn't "How to Get Cab Fare". :P
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i use 25 pounds...and i believe i have some nice muscle tone.
    heavier is more efficient...i do 4 or 5 sets of 5 to 8 reps

you wont get big muscles.
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Shake weight

The Topic isn't "How to Get Cab Fare". :P
    :laugh:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    curl reams of copy paper.
    I hear they are lighter than dumbbells even when they weigh the same, therefore making them easier to lift.
  • mandypinetown
    Options
    awesome replies! thanks everyone :D
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Diet, diet, diet for losing bodyfat.

The triceps are roughly 2/3's of your arm's muscle mass, make sure you work them well. Too many people, guys especially, make the mistake of overworking their biceps to get bigger arms.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Start out with a weight that you can do between 8-12 times. The last 2 should be hard, but not so hard you loose good posture. Never use your body to help lift the weight, only use the bicep muscle. Keep elbows close to your side if doing standing curls. I started out with 5-7.5 pounds and ow can curl 20-25 pounds.. BTW, if you really want nice defined arms, don't ignore the triceps. They are bigger than the biceps and give great definition! Also, compound exercises really help such as pull ups/chin ups and lag pull downs.
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Lots of great replies above. Not a whle bunch to add to that.

I will say things here in San Antonio are till pretty hot, but I am startting to feel a sligt dip in temp at night, also love Jeff Buckley, so awesome for you.