500 calories a day program?

Options

Replies

• specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, for a normal stomach this sounds unheard of. Keep us posted on how long that person lasts...I'd be dying to know. I'm a weight loss surgery patient and even I can eat more than 500 a day :P ..
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is called the HCG diet where you take HCG drops or pills and then eat 500 calories a day! Insane! But my sister in law lost 45 pounds doing this and my husband's brother lost 30 but I don't think I could survive eating so little! I do work so how on earth would you have enough enery to do that! Crazy!
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Plus I'm waiting to see if they gain it all back and more! lol
  • stephl21uk
    stephl21uk Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ive just deleted a friend off my friends list as she was doing alternate day fasting so 1 day she would eat under 500cals (somedays she ony eat 2 cereal bars all day which amounted to 280cals!!) and the day after that she would eat what ever she wanted and so on and so on!! how on earth is that healthy!!!!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's crap.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    So, what about those of us who really CAN't lose on 1200 or more cal?. I've tried.. and tried. The ONLY success i've ever had has been to stick around 1000. Yes it's miserable. Yes I work out (p90x). I've even tried the whole "metabolism reset" thing. NOTHING seems to work. I have resigned myself to having to eat VERY small amounts for the rest of my life. I know that I will never be able to increase my cals without gaining weight :(

If you open your diary, maybe we could help. Worth a shot?
  • cmbalint
    cmbalint Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did something like this .I also stopped having my cycle and my hair fell out because i was starving myself.It is not worth it
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    ive just deleted a friend off my friends list as she was doing alternate day fasting so 1 day she would eat under 500cals (somedays she ony eat 2 cereal bars all day which amounted to 280cals!!) and the day after that she would eat what ever she wanted and so on and so on!! how on earth is that healthy!!!!

Assuming her weekly calories are in line, there is nothing wrong with that. There is lots of research on intermittent fasting, and frankly, until the last century or so, that would be the pattern many, in fact most, people would eat like simply because food was not that available for the majority of people. They would eat a lot when it was available, but would go hungry when it was not. Since the current approach of always being fed is only leading to a society of fat people with the attendent health issues, don't slam something because it involves occasionally not eating. I do 1-2 days a week of 24 hour fasts (supper one night to supper the next so I don't actually go a day without eating) and eat normally the other days. Frankly it has been, for me, one of the best changes I could make. I am more focused and alert on fasting days, and have lots of energy on them as well, and I can eat more on my non-fasting days than I would doing a daily deficit. In the weekly picture I end up with about the same deficit as I would eating less calories each day, but I am much happier overall.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My mother in law over the last 15 years has had 2 weight loss surgeries that has amounted to 220 lost and 2 tummy tucks. In the end she has gained all the weight back and more.

This last week she told me shes on a diet, I was excited!... then she tells me shes been on HGC and has lost 4 lbs in the last 3 days(Sigh) She eats 500 calories a day and does the drops etc which btw her doctor has given his blessing to do!

I am VERY concerned for her health (shes 65) and she wont listen to me. Her reply is well ive had many clients do this diet and they have all lost weight. My doctor says its safe and you dont know what you are talking about. I understand people want to lose weight I really do but at what point do you just shake a person and tell them what they are doing can kill them?! I have read the stories on MFP about HGC and some of them are down right scary :(

I guess in the end it comes down to how much damage are you willing to do to your body to get what you want?
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So, what about those of us who really CAN't lose on 1200 or more cal?. I've tried.. and tried. The ONLY success i've ever had has been to stick around 1000. Yes it's miserable. Yes I work out (p90x). I've even tried the whole "metabolism reset" thing. NOTHING seems to work. I have resigned myself to having to eat VERY small amounts for the rest of my life. I know that I will never be able to increase my cals without gaining weight :(

If you open your diary, maybe we could help. Worth a shot?
    thanks. I opened it and looked back ti when i was logging 1600 to 1700 cals. Definitely wasn't as "clean" as i thought :/ i read apost earlier that suggesred SLOWLY upping cals to repair metabolism. This week i finally lost 2.8, but that was sticking close to 1000 :/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    thanks. I opened it and looked back ti when i was logging 1600 to 1700 cals. Definitely wasn't as "clean" as i thought :/ i read apost earlier that suggesred SLOWLY upping cals to repair metabolism. This week i finally lost 2.8, but that was sticking close to 1000 :/

Well, you can either guess which direction that will eventually lead, eating at 1000, make the wise decision now, or you can test it.

So you can either test it and see. And after weight loss has slowed and finally stopped, you can either lower again, or get wise and eat more for your level of activity. While increasing, you'll likely gain weight back while metabolism tries to speed up again.

Or.

You can go higher right now, get it burning faster, and likely lose at the same rate for longer.

Your choice.

Notice what you could do right now though:

A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Well, you can either guess which direction that will eventually lead, eating at 1000, make the wise decision now, or you can test it.

So you can either test it and see. And after weight loss has slowed and finally stopped, you can either lower again, or get wise and eat more for your level of activity. While increasing, you'll likely gain weight back while metabolism tries to speed up again.

Or.

You can go higher right now, get it burning faster, and likely lose at the same rate for longer.

Your choice.

Notice what you could do right now though:

A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.

Thanks. THis is my hope. To be able to get up to 1500 cals without gaining. Gonna aim for 1200 this week. Hopefully after a few weeks i can get up to 1500 and still lose. I think the mistake I may have made (other than ever doing 900 to 100 cals in the first place) was trying to make a big jump all at once. Even thought I as eating the recommended amt, I was gaining :(
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    PS:

when adding calories to an already slowed RMR you WILL GAIN WEIGHT until the RMR stabilizes at its proper level.
    This is normal.

Programming and adjustment takes about 2-4 weeks.

I've had clients gain 9lbs only to lose them the second month while eating at a regular rate.
    Regular rates for my group run 1600-3k a day.
    People who eat at a regular rate can go to BBQs and eat out with friends.

At 1k or less youd be hard pressed to have much fun going anywhere.

also i'll shoot this tidbit out there for you to roll around in the brain:

At what point do you think fat has a reason not to exist while eating at 1k or less?
    In fact as soon as you introduce any calorie above the daily TDEE youll probably store it for the next time you introduce famine into your life.

Eat like a human and move like a human and youll lose the fat naturally.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Sounds pretty bad to me, the lowest I have every lived off of calorie wise was 900 cals and that wasn't by choice.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In fact as soon as you introduce any calorie above the daily TDEE youll probably store it
    Naturally. That's always the case. Where else could it go.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    These diets are stupid and pointless. 90% of people gain the weight back that they lost PLUS some extra! Have fun with that diet. Diets like that are stupid because they teach you how to NOT eat as opposed to teaching how to eat healthy! Portion control, no fast food, no sodas and you'll lose weight. It really isn't that hard.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

It was the subject of a UK TV programme, and showed to have major health benefits. Full study here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    yup this diet exists, it's called natural selection. It's used to help us identify the dumbest people on earth when they aren't wearing an Ed Hardy shirt
    :laugh: :laugh: FTW!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

It was the subject of a UK TV programme, and showed to have major health benefits. Full study here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

ADF and ESE are perfectly healthy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    You probably have a medical issue that needs attention, OR you're not eating the right food.
    this.

OR maybe they have spent their lives doing too many yo yo diets and need to spend a month or 2 getting their metabolism back up to where it should be and THEN worry about losing weight. i personally think it makes more sense to spend 2 months correcting my metabolism and get it running right before trying to lose weight than to just jump right in the weight loss pool with a crappy metabolism and spin my wheels for 6,12,18 months etc