Help! Clueless with toning exercises

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm starting my workout routines in order to tone up, define my body more, and well...look sexy! I need to lose about 10lb of fat and replace some of that with muscle. I'm in the average weight range but I do have a decent bit of pudge. This is the first time I've ever really worked out seriously before to build muscle though. I'm concentrating on my stomach and legs right now, but arm exercises would also be really appreciated. Is there any routine that has really worked for you over time? What has shown you the best results? At what rate did you increase the amount of each exercise you did over time (ex. 20 sit-ups to 30sit-ups)?

Replies

• karynmillar
    Options
    PLANK!! It is so good for so many muscles!
  • DetroitKilljoy
    Options
    Planking?
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would try some Jillian Michaels. I have been able to check out the DVD's at the local library for free. You may not love her system, but you'll learn a lot of different moves that work all sorts of muscles. Start with low weights (the first time I did it, I didn't have hand weights available and used soup cans, at about 1 lb each :laugh: ) and then increase until you feel fatigued by the end of the interval.

Also, if you have access to a gym, many will offer one free session with a trainer to give you some ideas. It's worth checking in on it.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Planking?

A plank is when your body is in a firm push up position but you are resting on your forearms and keeping your abs tight.
    Try holding it for 15, then 30, then 60 seconds. You can google different ways to spice it up too.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is my own personal experience, but eating at TDEE and doing circuits along with weightlifting
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No More Trouble Zones is a video by Jillian Michaels that has a lot of bodyweight/light dumbbell exercises. You can find it on Youtube on the BeFit channel, but it's in parts instead of one video.

If you're a little more advanced than that, Chalean Extreme or P90X would be good. Chalean Extreme focuses on weight lifting (any weight that challenges you, as opposed to light dumbbells) and some cardio and I believe P90X is just a little bit of everything.

Or you could go to a gym and start a weight lifting routine.