30DS and cardio? Can it be done?

Options
I have two questions.

First: Was anyone able to do 30DS and another exercise programme (c25k for me) in the same die without wanting to keel over, die, and chop their legs off? I'm thinking if I can get my run in the morning I won't be too sore to do 30DS in the afternoon and hopefully will be able to have enough energy to wobble up the stairs to go to bed at night.

Second: Did you guys ever have a rest day?

Okay, I lied, one more question....

What kind of pre/post workout snacks did you eat and do you think they helped?

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i'm currently doing JM body revolution and there were a few weeks when i would do the workout plus the cardio session, so it definitely can be done. make sure to take AT LEAST 1 rest day though because you dont want to strain yourself and hurt those legs.

as for nutrition just make sure you're properly fueled the entire day (protein) and hydrated, i recover with a small low calorie protein shake and then i have a healthy dinner loaded with protein and veggies. (i work out before dinner so this is perfect for me).
  • determined_01
    Options
    bump for later. I'm starting 30DS and C25K on the 3rd...interested to see who's an animal...
  • brendas026
    brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I did 30 ds in the mornings and went for walks 1-1 1/2 hours each day while completing it. It depends on the type of cardio and how high impact as well as how fit you are already.
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    I do 30DS and C25K on the same days. Not back-to-back, but with a couple hours in between and I'm fine.
  • kissedbytheocean
    kissedbytheocean Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30DS as well as kickboxing. It's hard at first, but I found that just after a couple of days, it got easier and I didn't feel like I was about to drop dead. My muscles stopped aching and I felt like I had enough energy to power through the rest of my workout.

I take 2 rest days, Monday and Wednesday, because I fast on those days. So far, I don't see that it has made any difference. I think taking a rest day or two is probably a smart idea. It gives your body a chance to rest and repair.

I always have a homemade bowl of banana maple oatmeal and 2 glasses of water before I workout. It gives me a lot of needed energy. After my workout, I tend to just have my lunch, which is most often a sandwich and some soup.
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Was anyone able to do 30DS and another exercise program (c25k for me) in the same die without wanting to keel over, die, and chop their legs off?
    When I did 30DS I didn't attempt any other exercise programs... however I am doing Ripped in 30 now with c25k on my off days (meaning I run Fridays and Mondays). As the programs aren't that much differently, it is very possible, just be careful that you don't over work yourself.

Did you guys ever have a rest day?
    I didn't take any rest days, but I did do it twice on the odd day just for kicks... now that I'm doing Ripped in 30 I'm taking two rest days a week simply so I can run without killing my legs.

I always had a low cal dark chocolate mug cake with banana and hemp seed as a treat... really for no other reason than wanting it... i can't say it "helped" in the traditional sense, but it did make me happy and helped finish off my remaining daily cals!
  • brendas026
    brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did 30ds and an hour of running, on my rest days I would not run but did do 30ds, (just to finish in the 30 days).
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I did 30 DS along with Ripped in 30, one in the morning, one later on...and sometimes other cardio on top of it! Don't fool yourself that you're not able for it, you're able for more after the first few days!
  • katiegregory23
    katiegregory23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just finished 30 ds, and I did cardio either right before or right after. I did 3 days a week running for 30 or so minutes right before because I am focused more on running, so I wanted my legs to be fresh. Then I did 4 days a week of walking for 30 or so minutes right after as a cool down and way to stretch out my legs. I did the first 15 days straight and then decided to take 1-2 rest days per week (except I still walked on those days). I lost 13lbs and tons of inches, so I did see some results :). I'm doing ripped in 30 now, and I plan to continue that with doing cardio the same way as before. Good luck!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 ds, and I've been using my elliptical too. Today I've been lazy, and I won't give myself rest days from the shred.
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump.....I'm curious to hear other people's responses too. I've been running/walking and I'm planning on adding 30DS to my daily workout routine next week.....
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! (:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have two questions.

First: Was anyone able to do 30DS and another exercise programme (c25k for me) in the same die without wanting to keel over, die, and chop their legs off? I'm thinking if I can get my run in the morning I won't be too sore to do 30DS in the afternoon and hopefully will be able to have enough energy to wobble up the stairs to go to bed at night.

Second: Did you guys ever have a rest day?

Okay, I lied, one more question....

On the weekends, I usually do 30 DS in the morning and take a walk/run in the afternoon. You probably won't be sore until the next day. On the weekdays, I usually do 30 DS Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. Walking Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday

I have a rest day every Friday only because I don't like having to take 2 showers a day plus I want a day during the week where I look really good.

I usually don't eat anything before the 30DS. If I do, it's at least 2 hours before. Afterwards, I have something with protein in it. Usually a chicken sandwich or turkey sandwich with some greek yogurt
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 30DS (about to move on to week 2) and C25K (I might be on to C210K now, or almost). I also "walk, carrying infant or 15 pound load" on most days for at least 25 minutes, and take an hour long boxing class every Sunday. When I started my "weight loss journey" I was 197 pounds and had just had a c-section and then spent 7 pretty sedentary months soothing a super colicky baby who didn't want to ever leave the house, and before that I was pregnant and doing office work with a little clerking, so I was in pretty bad shape. Now I am full of energy and down to about 165 (eventual goal 135), following the program you're talking about. But my days are "lightly active" and I eat 1550 net calories -- I don't think I could do it on 1200 with a much more active day (which is where a lot of people on here seem to be at), just because my feet would be killing me and I wouldn't have the energy for the workout. But I'm losing so I'm very happy with my plan.

So yeah, it's great. It's actually giving me a ton of energy and I love it. Sometimes I have a hard time meeting my protein and fiber macros, which is customized higher than the MFP usual because I find that helps with my reactive hypoglycemia. So I make a smoothie with plain unsweetened kefir and hemp protein, which is *revolting* to taste and texture, but makes me feel awesome once it's inside my body, and helps with the elusive protein and fiber macros. I also eat a protein bar called "ThinkThin" sometimes to make it to my calorie goal for the day.

Enjoy!
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do 30ds and Zumba. I do the shred first and before I do the cool down, I do Zumba for 30-60 minutes and then do the cool down.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I was doing 30DS in July after about 45 minutes on the treadmill or an hour treadmill + recumbent cycle. I absolutely took rest days! I would work out 3 days and then have a rest day. It was tough, but I could already run 5K. I wasn't trying to run any faster or longer than I could already do, although running 5K is by no means easy for me yet, so it was hard work.
  • neonflowers
    neonflowers Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I alternate between walking 2-4 miles and doing one of the Rocking Body workouts with 30DS depending on how much energy I have. On the weekend I pick a day to do just 30DS and rest the other. I usually eat yogurt and oatmeal before my workout if I have time and peanut butter toast and a protein smoothie afterwards. Since I exercise first thing in the morning, I think the presnack helps.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    when i do 30DS usually 3xweekly i add 10 min of fast walking on treadmill. Other days do other activities e.g. run/walking

Just not into exercise that much to do more than that. LOL
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's like people are reading my mind - I get home from a rather sad attempt at "running" today after doing 30DS earlier today and think is it too much? I didn't get to 5k but I did do 3.5kms and burned 339 cals. Just had some more aches in the joints but I'm definitely going to continue to do both.

Part of my problem today was nutrition...not particularly smart choices. Certainly not the best when exercising this much. I will learn from this mistake.