i need some advice and help on what to do? skinny fat

Options
hi everyone ! I lost 90 pounds, but I started my journey when I was 16 and its been on and off until I was 17 and really committed. I didnt know what I was doing. I just ate 1200-1300 calories and walked for 20-40 minutes on weekdays. I wasnt eating healthy, I was just counting calories and my diet contained of special k cereal and bars. Now Im aware of protein and healthy fats and such but the damage has been done because my body just looks horrid. I have a bunch of stomach fat while the rest of my body is thin (my spine sticks out). Im 5'8 and 130 pounds, but the stomach fat doesnt disappear. The damage has been done. Does anyone have any advice to get rid of the skinny fat look and be more toned? I do have stubborn fat; Im 18 and a girl;
Id really like to get in shape; What should I start doing that wont be harsh on my lower back (my lower back is "sensitive" and I get pains occasionally). I cant do full sit ups but I could do crutches. I cant do stuff that involve me using my legs and arms at the same time (bicycle crunch) because it causes sharp pains on my back.
I eat relatively healthy (except this week was horrible due to stress about school but ill get back on track tomorrow). I dont have my own income so I can only eat simple things like eggs, turkey, almond butter and chicken; I can't really cook my own recipes and such. Anyways, how many calories should I get? (reduced or maintain?)

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Try maintenance and weightlifting
  • Ilovetrish
    Options
    I don't think you will be able to tone your stomach without ab exercises.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    At 5'8", your weight of 130 is at the very low end of the normal range.

I realize that the BMI is not the be-all and end-all, but I think that you can at least get from that that you don't need to lose any more weight, especially not to what you have showing as your goal weight - 120 pounds.

I think you need to go to the thread called "In Place of a Roadmap" or go to the Scooby's Workshop website and enter your stats in and see just how many calories of healthy foods you should be eating and start there.

Start doing some strength training as well, as already suggested. Since money is an issue, you might try body-weight exercises.

By eating enough and building muscle, I do think you can re-shape your body.

BTW, congrats on the weight loss!
  • underthisfatareabs
    Options
    i could do some ab exercises like leg lifts and crunches and planks, but i cant do a lot at a time because then my back starts hurting; like after 3 leg lifts,i have to stop; and after 25 crunches; i have to stop;
  • underthisfatareabs
    Options
    thanks (:
    i am part of a gym, but most people suggest a trainer and that I cannot afford;

also, since im in school most of the day, i find it difficult to eat maintenance, any tips?
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I too find it difficult to eat during my work hours. I don't have the kind of job that I can just stop and eat.

I have to bring along the kinds of foods that I can eat either quickly, or a few bites here and there - - - protein bars, grapes, bananas, pre-cut slices of cheese, nuts, dried fruit.

You might have to scarf a few bites quickly between classes.
  • underthisfatareabs
    Options
    thanks! ill pack a few luna bars and some almonds (:
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's good that you're committed to learning how to develop a healthier lifestyle.

Congratulations on the large weight loss, but I'm not going to sugarcoat it - the way you did it was not optimal. 1200 calories, especially 1200 calories of mostly processed carbs, and repetative, steady state exercise has resulted in you losing both fat and muscle. Your weight may have changed, but your body composition hasn't changed as much as you would have expected.

Starting with some basics:

Nutrition:

There are two numbers you need to pay attention - your RMR and your TDEE.

RMR is your Resting Metabolic Rate. This is the number of calories your body needs to function before taking into account things like actually getting out of bed and doing anything. Given your height and current age, assuming light exercise (like walking) that number for your is around 1430 calories. This is the MINIMUM number of calories you should be eating in a given day.

TDEE is your Total Daily Energy expenditure. This is the number of calories your body needs based on your age, weight, gender and activity level. In your case, if you are moderately active (exercising 3-5 times a week) you need to be eating around 2250 calories to maintain this weight.

If you want to run the numbers yourself, there are a number of good calculators here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html

Honestly, you are on the skinny side of the weight range for your height and if you start changing your body composition, your weight will likely increase while actually decreasing your waiste size. It might sound counter intuitive, but if you consider that muscle weighs more, and takes up less volume than fat.

Nutritionally, you'll want to go for good quality protein sources - like chicken, fish, greek yogurt - and you'll want to keep your carb sources to mainly non-starchy vegetables (e.g. limit the corn, potatoes, peas), and various fruits. Good fats can come from things like olives (if you like them - personally I don't), avocados, nuts, olive oil, even things like butter.

For the exercise part, there are a number of good resources on the net like http://www.nerdfitness.com that discuss diet and exercise, and provide links to resources to help you develop a good exercise routing. You might also want to check out the New Rules for Lifting series of books by Lou Schulder and Alwyn Cosgrove. They have a practical approach to working out that is based on years of experience.

Ultimately, you're going to need to start doing weight bearing exercises. The fundamental ones are squats, planks, deadlifts, push exercises (like push ups), pull exercises (like rowing) and hinge exercises.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    thanks (:
    i am part of a gym, but most people suggest a trainer and that I cannot afford;

also, since im in school most of the day, i find it difficult to eat maintenance, any tips?
    Figure out HOW to eat at maintenance. We all have jobs or school. It's a challenge. But you must learn how to eat. Otherwise you'll just keep damaging your body.
    Eat healthy (special K and bars is not healthy) and get some exercise. EAT FOOD (as in vegetables, fruits, etc.). REGULARLY.
    And please stop losing weight.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I normally eat 8 medium sized meals/snacks throughout the day. However, I have done Intermittent Fasting before which works for me on busy days since I eat 4 large meals between 6am and 4pm. If I couldn't get all my calories in during that time, it's no problem since I have the rest of the day to eat the remainder.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd opt for more natural bars like Zone Perfectly Simple or Lara bars...something that has more of a balance of carbs/protein/fat and less carbs. What about packing a small cooler with string cheese and boiled eggs or other things that you don't need to keep cool like a small single serve container of peanut butter with some Kashi Sea Salt Pita Crisps. Fruit.

What concerns me the most is your ticker that says your goal is 120 pounds. At 5'8", that's very very thin. I'm 5'5". 120 is a good thin weight for me...like a size 4 even with muscle tone. If you're only wanting to lose because of the stomach, I would focus more on eating healthy instead of carb-rich overly processed foods. Carol_L gave you great information.

You are the only one who can help you. So my best advice to you as someone who has been your age and was once in my 20s and done the unhealthy eating but skinny thing, is to stop focusing on what you can't do and focus on what you can do. Control the controllables. No one can do this for you. So if you want to eat all your calories (which will be more than 1200) and be healthy, find a way to make it happen. People do it every day successfully without excuses. I don't mean that to be harsh but to be honest. I have a mobile job. I leave my house in the morning, often have business lunches in offices (which are not healthy) and come home late afternoon or evening. Every day is different. Some days I have no lunch scheduled but am running around. I have choices. I can eat the unhealthy lunch or skip it and starve. I can pick up fast food or not. I can pack a couple of bars and eat them in the car. Instead, I prepare the night before and pack something to eat the next day. I pack a lunch box in a small cooler for my car with something healthy in it and usually throw in a Lara bar or a couple of string cheese sticks or some almonds and fruit for an afternoon snack. I have an insulated water bottle ready to go. On days when that prep doesn't happen, it's not a good day and I don't even feel well. But this is a choice I've decided for myself. And I'm only trying to lose 8 pounds. Sometime I get asked why I'm not eating the work lunch. I tell some people either I'm not hungry or I ate in my car, etc. I think they're used to my healthiness by now! Lol! But no one is going to eat healthy for me. I have to do it myself. So what I'm trying to say is that every day is a choice for all of us. If you really truly do want results, you need to assess how badly you want them. If its bad enough, you'll do what it takes to get them. No excuses.

Try to incorporate pulsing or isometric ab training. And do workouts that shape you whether it be strength training with weights (The FIRM DVDs are good to start and progress with this), yoga, Pilates or barre workouts.

Dumb question, but are you using a padded mat under your spine for ab exercises?

If you can, get on YouTube and check this out. It's dated but is one of the best, most complete ab workouts that gets results. I've kept it in my video collection for almost 20 years because it works. Not one full sit up required:

The original 8 Minute Abs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqrkGnkUWc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hope that helps you a little bit.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Try the zumba for abs you stand and do all the work outs
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Look into Turbo Fire - not necessarily to buy it, but the types of exercises in that program are great to strengthen and develop the muscles in your core. If you can strengthen your back / core area, it might be easier for you to do more complex ab routines and save you some time in the long run. I hope that helps. :) Diet is key, but having a nice body is also linked with the right exercise routines so you are absolutely on the right track. Good luck!

Edited to add: I also think you should stay on maintenance calories and focus solely on improving your diet + exercise. Lift heavy, train hard. Don't starve yourself! :heart:
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Pick up the book The New Rules of Lifting for women.... read it, do it. eat at maintenance, stop trying to lose weight. Lift heavy you will see your body change and become what you want it to. I have not done this (I can`t due to medical restrictions) but I know almost every female on my list swears by lifting to get the figure you want.

Good luck!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will be able to tone your stomach without ab exercises.

Tone your abs and your core should help relieve your back pain.
    When the muscles are strong and supporting your frame, it takes stress off of your bones.

I say focus on what you should be eating... getting in all of your happy fats, complex carbs, protein, calcium, iron, vitamins, and all your other micro-nutrients. You are already at the low end of the healthy BMI range. Now is the time to Eat to be strong strong means so much more than skinny. You can do more with strong. you have choices with strong.

If you haven't been exercise start small and build gradually.
    Make sure you track, so you'll be able to see your accomplishments more clearly months from now.

oddly enough I started by counting stairs, then it became a game I'd go out of my way to find more stairs to add to my routine. Now I"m at the gym a couple a times a week.
  • underthisfatareabs
    Options
    i truely thank everyone for the great advice (:
    my inital goal weight at 16 was 120 along with when I first made my account, however, I have my calories set at my TDEE and i have no idea how to change the ticker (lame.)
    I will switch my low calorie breads and almond milks to the higher calories that contain healthier things for my body (:
    thanks for the advice for the string cheese and fruit and such; Ill pack some almond butter and apple slices in my bag

I think I get back pains because my core is weak due to the unhealthy weightloss since I never had back pains before;
    I did start exercising, Im slowly building my endurance up on the treadmill and once a week, I walk on a high incline (7 or 8)
    I will also incorporate some core workouts and my gym is going to start offering core classes that I will take along with zumba;

thanks for helping me develop my plan (:
    good luck to everyone with their body goals, whatever it may be
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Find something heavy, pick it up, put it down. Yes, weight lifting. Don't worry about bulking up, you have to eat at a significant surplus and lift with the specific intent of adding size (moderate weight, high reps). New Rules of Lifting For Women is a highly recommended training program. It gives instruction on how to do the lift exercises as well as the overall training program. It's highly recommended. A balanced fitness program does both strength training and cardiovascular exercises (cycling, running, swimming, etc). Exercising will slowly build muscle as well as strength, but that's a good thing.

1 pound of muscle weighs the same as 1 pound of fat (as in they are both 1 pound), but 1 pound of muscle is smaller and denser than 1 pound of fat. To stay the same weight, you will get smaller by having more muscle than fat. To stay the same size while building muscle, you will gain weight. Does weighing a couple pounds more if you are fit and trim and feeling great?

As others have mentioned, EAT! For the next month or two, eat at a maintenance level if not a slight surplus. I don't care if you eat 10 small meals a day or 1-2 very big meals, just make sure you're getting enough calories and the micro-nutrients your body needs (vitamins and minerals). Why maintenance? You need to eat to fuel your body for the exercise and healthy living you plan to do. After a period of basically resetting your metabolism, then it will be ok to start making changes if you need to. But really, your weight is low enough already.

The BMR calculator at Fat2Fitradio.com is a great place to start figuring out what maintenance level calories look like. You should get the same or extremely close to the same value from MFP.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Most of what I want to say has been covered here already- eat more, get protein, lift weights. Compound weightlifting exercises will work your core without specific core work.

But mostly I wanted to suggest trying the Captain's chair at the gym- it's a very simple piece of equipment that's very effective for abs, and shouldn't put stress on your back. You support yourself on your forearms with your legs hanging, and do leg lifts/knee raises, so there's virtually no pressure on your back. Look up video on youtube if my description sounds confusing (it probably does). It's kind of hard to describe.
  • underthisfatareabs
    Options
    theres no captains chair at my gym D:
    its very small but the price is affordable;
    however, my school gym has one and once school becomes more organized, ill be sure to check it out !