Surprisingly UN-healthy

Options
13»

Replies

• jjefferies7
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Just curious as to why you seem to be concerned about sugar? From a weight perspective it's not really a concern it's calories in vs. calories out. Nothing wrong with carbs either. Don't let the food nazi's scare you

It's not being a "food nazi" to recognize that not everyone is the same. High carbs and sugars can be problematic for some people and those people may benefit by eating slightly more healthy protein and fat. To say sugar is only a concern if one is diabetic is completely false, imo. Sorry, but it's not just calories in and calories out for EVERYONE.

yes, your body is magically different from everyone elses. biochemistry must not apply to you
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    As a type one diabetic ha shown me ......there are no essential carbs.
    Turn that body into a fat burning machine...

You will stay ripped all of the time.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I went to Pret A Manger this morning to pick up breakfast and lunch for today and got a Vietnamese Banh Mih and a Meatball Wrap that was supposed to be under 300 cal. I didn't think much of it b/c it's all natural and came across healthy, but wow, that really put a damper in my day. (Check out my diary lol).

I then look at other people's diaries, and they eat a lot of processed stuff, but it comes out with less numbers than what I have sometimes and I don't get it. LOL

Agh, lesson learned to not eat out, just don't. ):
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I look at everything now. It's crazy how many things have sugar, corn syrup, added sugar, soy protein, wheat, etc in it when it has NO business being there.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The milk is a shock to me. Does it list sugar as an added ingredient??

The sugar found in milk is the natural sugar lactose and there is nothing wrong with is. Same type of natural sugar that's found in plain yogurt.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Just curious as to why you seem to be concerned about sugar? From a weight perspective it's not really a concern it's calories in vs. calories out. Nothing wrong with carbs either. Don't let the food nazi's scare you

It's not being a "food nazi" to recognize that not everyone is the same. High carbs and sugars can be problematic for some people and those people may benefit by eating slightly more healthy protein and fat. To say sugar is only a concern if one is diabetic is completely false, imo. Sorry, but it's not just calories in and calories out for EVERYONE.

yes, your body is magically different from everyone elses. biochemistry must not apply to you

I am not a moron, and I don't appreciate your tone. I think I can observe the kinds of foods that cause me to get sick. Some of us have health issues, that perhaps you have no comprehension of because things are so simple for you and your calories in/calories out mentality. Be thankful it's so easy for you.
  • jjefferies7
    Options

I am not a moron, and I don't appreciate your tone. I think I can observe the kinds of foods that cause me to get sick. Some of us have health issues, that perhaps you have no comprehension of because things are so simple for you and your calories in/calories out mentality. Be thankful it's so easy for you.

obviously if you have some ailment or illness then you may have to work around things in your diet. but for the majority of people without those problems it simply calories in vs. calories out while meeting your macro and micronutrients. i thought it was a given i was talking about healthy individuals. everyone claims their body is different but in most cases it is not.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

obviously if you have some ailment or illness then you may have to work around things in your diet. but for the majority of people without those problems it simply calories in vs. calories out while meeting your macro and micronutrients. i thought it was a given i was talking about healthy individuals. everyone claims their body is different but in most cases it is not.

I was going to walk away from this thread until I saw your comment. The basis of you comment is that it is calories in vs calories out as long as your make you macro and micro nutrients. Generally speaking I would agree, but I would respond by stating that it ignores the fact it is hard to make the micro and macro nutrient numbers if you eat a lot of carbs and sugars (not impossible, but unlikely).

With your opinion that everyone's body is generally the same I will call 'a foul. Every person's body has a different set of experiences and so their metabolism is defined in part by all the past food, exercise, lifestyle, etc. For example, some people do not lose weight with a lot of sugar and carbs. Additionally, there are so many complex organ and hormone systems in the body that it can be a challenge to find what works for the individual. It is for this reason that if a person does not see a change they need to reformulate their diet and change again. In the end what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

Calories in vs calories out is a start not the end of a weight loss journey, the actual balance of nutrients is ultimately the real hard work.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    How is stating calories in vs. calories out while meeting your macro and micronutrient goals(which would be balancing your nutrients) needs ignoring that fact? I did say while meeting those goals. it is true that generally in terms of healthy(key word) individuals their bodies are not much different in many aspects.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's also about eating more fruits and veggies, drinking tons of water, less processed foods and portion control. A slice of bread be it white or whole wheat has 3 tbsp's of sugar.....just saying
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    How is stating calories in vs. calories out while meeting your macro and micronutrient goals(which would be balancing your nutrients) needs ignoring that fact? I did say while meeting those goals. it is true that generally in terms of healthy(key word) individuals their bodies are not much different in many aspects.

I apologize as I may not have been clear in my previous comment,. What I was saying is that if you eat too many nutrient lacking carbs and sugar you will not make your goals on either macro or micro nutrients. To some extent our current diet gets so much nutrition beaten out of the food only to have some of it replenished and fortified it can be difficult to get enough nutrients.

I was saying that the way you phrased the statement it appeared that one could eat all the carbs or sugar under their calorie goal and still make certain micro nutrient goals (obviously it has the ability to throw off macro nutrients by percentage). On this point I suppose we are saying the same idea, but in different ways.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    If the guy is cutting down on sugar..he's most likely cutting down on calories. So, he found a way to do that.. Good for him.

As far as restaurants? I've decided when I go..I'm going to get something obviously fattening...because then I know what I'm dealing with. Nothing worse than getting a grilled piece of fish and vegetables and it ends up having as many calories as something "bad" for you.

Avoid eating out if you can.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and some might want to throw exercising in there.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    I apologize as I may not have been clear in my previous comment,. What I was saying is that if you eat too many nutrient lacking carbs and sugar you will not make your goals on either macro or micro nutrients. To some extent our current diet gets so much nutrition beaten out of the food only to have some of it replenished and fortified it can be difficult to get enough nutrients.

I was saying that the way you phrased the statement it appeared that one could eat all the carbs or sugar under their calorie goal and still make certain micro nutrient goals (obviously it has the ability to throw off macro nutrients by percentage). On this point I suppose we are saying the same idea, but in different ways.

agreed. sorry if what i was saying was unclear.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options

You are so rude. Of course not everybody is the same. Not everybody has allergies and sensitivities to certain substances. You can be a smug as you like but I know I cant eat wheat, it makes me vomit, double up in awful pain, swell up in both my stomach area and joints. As I have got older it has got worse. I have cut out all grains, cane sugar and most dairy and feel like my life has been given back to me. I am loosing weight on more calories.....so why is that do you think? There are a lot of people like me.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Some of these I totally get why the concern, but others, not so much. Nature's Own Honey Wheat Bread only has 2g sugar/serving, according to their website. That's pretty low in the world of bread.

On the skim milk - 1 cup of whole milk also has 12g of sugar. Milk naturally has lactose (a sugar) in it. Unless your milk has added sugar on the label, then those 12g are natural lactose, and any cows milk is going to have a similar sugar level.

Unless you're trying to avoid all sugar, I'm not seeing a problem with these.

I just try to minimize my processed food and hit my macro targets, and things like sodium and sugar tend to take care of themselves.

Man, I wish there was a "like" button on this website.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I learned a lot when I had gestational diabetes. Added sugar should be avoided but natural sugars, eaten in moderation are not bad for us. For instance, a small banana had my max carb/sugars that I could have in a meal so if I was to eat said banana, I had to be sure that was going to keep me full until I was able to eat again. It did not so I chose not to eat banana's but instead get my carbs/sugars from somewhere else. And I had to actually eat carbs with every meal/snack that I had. It is not recommended to cut them out completely, just to limit them. I hated that diet but actually came out of my pregnancy 17 pounds lighter than I started and had an 8 pound 9 ounce baby.

I am actually thinking about following my diabetic diet even though the diabetes did not carry over PP.
  • livelivefree
    livelivefree Posts: 18 Member
    Options

awesome =) exactly my thoughts...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think it's fair to say when someone responds to a thread on with general diet advice, unless otherwise stated, they are taking to the general population and not to those with specific allergies/diseases/conditions etc

It would be pretty difficult to craft every single post to account for every single possible dietry condition, I don't know why people always feel the need to chime in with "but but but I have ___ I'm allergic to ____ so I'm different etc", you are in the minority, most likely the post was not referring to you in the first place. Also the fact you can't eat _______ has nothing to with cals in v cals out.

If you talking about the basic mechanics of fat loss/fat gain and thermodynamics then yes, [again, outside of diagnosed medical conditions] we are all the same

Read