working night shift?

Options
Hello, just started here, I have been blessed enough to have been given a personal trainer for the year, and this is the first app he put on my phone. I love it. My question is: does anyone work long hours during the night? On the first day I work I am up for over 24 hours and it has been messing up my eating schedule. I document from midnight to midnight, but find then, on my first day off I literally only eat 500 to 800 calories (because I end up sleeping for a good portion of the day,eat dinner with family, and then go back to sleep). The second question I have is, is it better to get more sleep or excercise. Sometimes when I work I only get 4 hours of sleep and find myself asking if it would be better to go back to sleep or get up and work out.

Replies

• LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    currently at work, 11p-730a (this is my main job) also work nights (4p-9p) about once every other week at my other job

as far as the exercise sleep question...I havent gotten into a routine of working out. I walk on my breaks at work though!
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hello!

i also work nights. i end up adding up all the calories starting from the day that i wake up, so friday (my first night shift day) is always a stuggle with making sure im not eating too many calories. Its easier for me to do it that way though, as far as sleeping or working out i would prefer the sleep option if youre only able to get 4 hours! working out can be for another day!! haha

good luck!! :D
  • bellabutton1
    Options
    Hi I have the same problem and years later still not properly worked it out yet , although I do find that if I have my main meal just before I go on night shift I only need a snack during the night ( however not all the time). So I would be also interested to see what advice you get.
    Welcome to the site its great help:happy: and feel free to add me as a friend
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hello, just started here, I have been blessed enough to have been given a personal trainer for the year, and this is the first app he put on my phone. I love it. My question is: does anyone work long hours during the night? On the first day I work I am up for over 24 hours and it has been messing up my eating schedule. I document from midnight to midnight, but find then, on my first day off I literally only eat 500 to 800 calories (because I end up sleeping for a good portion of the day,eat dinner with family, and then go back to sleep). The second question I have is, is it better to get more sleep or excercise. Sometimes when I work I only get 4 hours of sleep and find myself asking if it would be better to go back to sleep or get up and work out.

I work two jobs. One is from 6:30 pm to 7 am three days per week and the other is from 10 pm to 6 am between one and three days per week. I log my stuff all from midnight to midnight. Some days I don't reach enough calories because I am sleeping, but I don't worry about it. I only get about 5 hours of sleep usually. 6 is a good day. I workout when I get home or it won't get done. As for my food, I don't really eat meals, I kinda graze all night. Feel free to check out my food log.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I am currenlty working 4pm - 4am. normal shift should be 4pm - 12:30am but that hasn't happened in a long time.

I tried logging my diary from midnight to midnight, but it just didn't sit right with me. My first entry of the day would be my after work snack??? then 8+ hours later I log in breakfast???

Now I log my diary from the time I wake up till I go to sleep. No matter how long my shift is...
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    wow such quick responses! Thank you! Okay my break is over, back to work! Be safe ya'll! :flowerforyou:
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    I dont know what you guys do for sleep, but I used to work 12 hour shifts. On nights, I did not sleep as soon as I got in. I slept 8 hours before I was due to go to work.
    This helped due to the fact that on a day shift, I would sleep(12a), go to work (8a), then play (6p). On a night shift, I slept (12p) went to work (8p) then play (8a) Same times of sleeping, working and playing, but then I would eat better too.

On the transition day (usually Sunday was the beginning of the week of nights) I would eat breakfast at 930am (ish) then eat a fairly heavy British sunday roast meal (around 2/3pm, then sleep for 4 hours in the afternoon. when I went to work at 8pm, I wouldnt be hungry until around 2am, when I would eat loads of fruit and drink coffee. Once into the swing, I would eat normally (breakfast at 6pm, lunch at 3am, dinner around 10am)

This worked for me on a month of nights.
  • gpoliver
    Options
    Thanks, Bellabutton1, I would love to just as soon as I figure out how! :wink:
  • gpoliver
    Options
    I dont know what you guys do for sleep, but I used to work 12 hour shifts. On nights, I did not sleep as soon as I got in. I slept 8 hours before I was due to go to work.
    This helped due to the fact that on a day shift, I would sleep(12a), go to work (8a), then play (6p). On a night shift, I slept (12p) went to work (8p) then play (8a) Same times of sleeping, working and playing, but then I would eat better too.

On the transition day (usually Sunday was the beginning of the week of nights) I would eat breakfast at 930am (ish) then eat a fairly heavy British sunday roast meal (around 2/3pm, then sleep for 4 hours in the afternoon. when I went to work at 8pm, I wouldnt be hungry until around 2am, when I would eat loads of fruit and drink coffee. Once into the swing, I would eat normally (breakfast at 6pm, lunch at 3am, dinner around 10am)

This is pretty close to my shift, and I am going to try it, thanks for the insight!
  • suzanneb77
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts 3 days a week. I log my food from when I get up until when I go to bed next. Sometimes I come close to going over my calories and sometimes I'm on the low side but it all evens out over the course of the week. As for exercise, I don't do much on the days I work so that I can get 5-6 hours of sleep. On the days I'm off I try to do more than one activity to compensate for lack of exercise on my work days. I hope this helps.:smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    11pm-7am, 5 days a week including weekends. All of my weight loss has come while working this shift. For me sleep is key. I make sure I get at least 6 hrs of straight sleep. I have tried broken up sleep but it doesn't work for me. When I am tired from lack of sleep I over eat to help stay awake which of course equals out to going over my calorie allowance. Plus I don't even bother with exercise since I have no energy.

Typical day for me is:
    Sleep from 3pm-10:30pm
    Work from 11pm-7am. I also have my first meal of the day here. I don't have a scheduled lunch break. It's just when I have some time to work it in.
    Get off work and go to the Gym 8am-10am
    Errands if any, shopping groceries also have my 2nd meal of the day. 10am-2pm

The hours I work doesn't leave much for a social life. As for family, I don't have kids or girlfriend/wife so that's a plus or minus depending on your view. Also with logging I just log midnight to midnight. I don't worry about labels when it comes to food. If I want a eggs and toast at 3am, that's what I have. I worry more about hitting macros and calories.

On the plus side of working this shift, I have a bit of downtime. Even though I work a desk job, I am able to get away for 15 min breaks throughout the night and go for a walk. On the weekends it's even less busy and sometimes I'll be able to get away for up to 30 mins. My co-workers are cool with it. They support and cover for me if needed while I am out.
  • MarcyYvette
    Options
    I work nights as well. very high stress job. so snacking is very hard to refrain from. but im only 25 so I have to really come to grips with this whole weight loss thing.
  • AprilRN10
    Options

I have a 45min commute. It's nearly 8am when I get home, usually about 15 til. I get my daughter off to school at 8, get my BF off to work or school, whichever he has that day, by 8:30. Then I work out, shower, eat, then go to bed. In that order. It's usually between 10 and 11 when I get to bed. I get up between 4 and 4:30 since I have to leave at 5:45 to be there at 6:30. That's how my 12 hour days work. When I work my other job, it is the same order, but the schedule is more relaxed because it is 8 hour shifts and 5 minutes from home. I find that if I don't work out when I work 12 hour shifts, that laxity carries over and then I don't work out ever. So I just do it anyway.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've been working 11p-7a for 5 years now and the biggest thing that's helped me is having a schedule. I log from midnight to midnight as I find that that works for me whether I'm working or not. At work I have cereal, yogurt and fruit, then in the afternoon I try to work out as soon as I get up so I have the rest of the day to relax. On average I'll get between 5-6 hours of sleep, and then try to nap before work, which doesn't always happen. The challenge this year will come for me as I'm in grad school and will be doing research 2 days/wk after my shift.
  • AprilRN10
    Options
    11pm-7am, 5 days a week including weekends. All of my weight loss has come while working this shift. For me sleep is key. I make sure I get at least 6 hrs of straight sleep. I have tried broken up sleep but it doesn't work for me. When I am tired from lack of sleep I over eat to help stay awake which of course equals out to going over my calorie allowance. Plus I don't even bother with exercise since I have no energy.

Typical day for me is:
    Sleep from 3pm-10:30pm
    Work from 11pm-7am. I also have my first meal of the day here. I don't have a scheduled lunch break. It's just when I have some time to work it in.
    Get off work and go to the Gym 8am-10am
    Errands if any, shopping groceries also have my 2nd meal of the day. 10am-2pm

The hours I work doesn't leave much for a social life. As for family, I don't have kids or girlfriend/wife so that's a plus or minus depending on your view. Also with logging I just log midnight to midnight. I don't worry about labels when it comes to food. If I want a eggs and toast at 3am, that's what I have. I worry more about hitting macros and calories.

On the plus side of working this shift, I have a bit of downtime. Even though I work a desk job, I am able to get away for 15 min breaks throughout the night and go for a walk. On the weekends it's even less busy and sometimes I'll be able to get away for up to 30 mins. My co-workers are cool with it. They support and cover for me if needed while I am out.

I don't take breaks either because I can't leave my patients unattended. So I eat while I do my charting. That's why I graze all night.
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    I am only on night shifts randomly at different jobs, as I travel to different parts of the country throughout the year. I have been on the night shift a lot this year, and I have yet to find a schedule that works for me either. I either work 6pm to 6am or 9pm to 9am. The latter shift is the worst for me. I don't eat normally, and working out doesn't seem to work. What does work for me though is eating in moderation and drinking a lot of water. I'm the type that needs to eat about 6 small meals or more a day, but nightshift to me means eating one meal after I wake up, and some sort of meal overnight. I'm not fond of it at all, as I feel like I can't find my 'rythym'. Beside that, it SUX for any kind of a social life or fun! I work 72 hours a week, not counting travel time to and from work! I feel your pain, and am ALWAYS looking for a better way!
  • gpoliver
    Options
    yea, stress is also a big deal for me as we can have some intense moments at work, and I used to make the excuse that that is why I couldnt lose weight. HOWEVER, working out, and eating this way, I find myself so much less stressed, and better to cope with the adreneline rushes I get during my shift. that was a very pleasant surprise and good motivation with this new lifestyle change. I also find myself not so down in th dumps by my fourth day of work.
  • gpoliver
    Options
    I am only on night shifts randomly at different jobs, as I travel to different parts of the country throughout the year. I have been on the night shift a lot this year, and I have yet to find a schedule that works for me either. I either work 6pm to 6am or 9pm to 9am. The latter shift is the worst for me. I don't eat normally, and working out doesn't seem to work. What does work for me though is eating in moderation and drinking a lot of water. I'm the type that needs to eat about 6 small meals or more a day, but nightshift to me means eating one meal after I wake up, and some sort of meal overnight. I'm not fond of it at all, as I feel like I can't find my 'rythym'. Beside that, it SUX for any kind of a social life or fun! I work 72 hours a week, not counting travel time to and from work! I feel your pain, and am ALWAYS looking for a better way!

okay, as i get more into the swing of this then, I will let you know what works and doesn't for me. I have to eat every two to three hours as well, so that has been so hard!
  • suzanneyang8
    Options
    Hi, I'm a nurse working 12 hr night shifts. I gave up counting my calories midnight to midnight, it ended up being too unbalanced. So now I count my calories from when I wake up (whether it is 4pm as usual or 8am on a rare day off) to when I go to bed (obviously excluding naps). On the days that I end up awake for more than 24 hours, I just accept that I'll have to eat more and try to make healthy choices (lots of veggies) and do some exercise to offset the extra calories. I have been doing it this way for a few weeks and it seems to be working well.
  • natie12482
    Options
    I also work third shift full time and then go to classes full time in the day. I myself, usually only get 2-4 hours of sleep 5 days a week so I completely understand. I usually log my food at midnight each night for the following day. Third shift is very rough on our bodies so sleep is very important. My best suggestion is work out a little bit in the morning when you get off of work. Start off slow, try 30 minutes to begin with and then work your way up. There are some days I am just too exhausted to do any workout. I have some days off and than other days I may work out for a while and others I may supplement only 45 minutes just to get something in. Hope this helps.