Replacing dinner with protein shake?!!!

Options
Hi guys...

me and my other half have started a new fitness regime (as of last night!) where we go running straight from work...then drive home (we work a couple of hours drive away) then do weights/30 day shred.

I want to eat before working out otherwise it's late by the time i get home & don't want to eat before 30day shred but way too late afterwards.

I'm thinking of replacing dinner with either phd diet whey protein shake / optimum nutrition whey protein powder made up with almond milk maybe? / or an atkins ready to drink shake? Any thoughts? just think i can then drink this before our run and it won't sit in my tummy like food!

Thank you! xxx

Replies

• andre_Benjamin
    andre_Benjamin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have tried protein shakes before I've gone running and it's worked. However I still have my dinner to replenish nutrients
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    I don't replace meals with protein shakes. I include them as a supplement.

There would be no way in h*ll that I'd be able to eat all the protein I need to in one day without them. So rather than become dependent on them for meals, I just mix it with half cup semi skimmed and half cup skimmed milk and eat other small portions of other things for variety (ie, have a smaller regular meal with a protein shake). Then again it depends on the brand of shake you have. Mine is low in calories, high in fiber and protein.

Not only do I get the protein boost of all three, I get calcium too...which I wouldn't normally have since I don't eat cheese or milk regularly.

I don't want to fall into the slim fast/diet shake trap. One other alternative would be to replace breakfast with the shake, but put fruit and such into the shake so you're having more than just the shake, which is what I do. Might also eat a piece of wholemeal bread/toast.

P/S: They are great as a snack between meals especially after a lengthy bout of exercise. You do feel the benefit of them afterwards.
  • sumeetn
    sumeetn Posts: 56
    Options
    shakes can not replace foods that is why they are supplements, once a while is fine..however remember they do not provide any dietary fiber which is essential..my 2 bits :)
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    shakes can not replace foods that is why they are supplements, once a while is fine..however remember they do not provide any dietary fiber which is essential..my 2 bits :)
    yes they most certainly can.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    thanks all...anyone else? xxx
  • YoukilledJosh
    Options
    Whenever I do replace a meal with a protein shake I will usually blend in fruit or peanut butter to up the calories
  • zackels
    zackels Posts: 2
    Options
    Whey protein contains a peptide quality blend that actually exceeds most naturally occurring proteins. It is absolutely a complete protein source. If you are looking for a meal that can sustain you throughout your run, drive home and then weights session, I would recommend a significant carbohydrate intake, up to 100g, depending on your day's prior intake and your caloric goals, combined with a whey protein. It would be beneficial to take in some form of macro nutrients post workout (despite your late arrival home), so your cells can obtain the requirements for prolonged protein synthesis throughout your upcoming fasting period (sleep). This could be a simple piece of fruit, coupled with a chicken breast, can of tuna or a protein shake. The preworkout meal is not fundamentally required, however, a meal, be it pre or post workout, would be necessary considering it will mostly likely be the last meal of your day (by the sounds of your post).
  • zackels
    zackels Posts: 2
    Options
    Additionally, stay away from ANY pre-prepared shake. 99% of the time they are loaded with simple sugars and the carbohydrates that are not listed as simple sugars are usually dextrose, which is virtually as close to a simple carbohydrate as you can get. Not to mention they are expensive and contain low quality ingredients. This goes doubly for meal replacements.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Its better than just not having anything. i mix a shake with peanutbutter and soymilk if im not really hungry for dinner :)