Blast from the past! Remember when..

Options

Replies

• cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Leaving the house in the morning to play with your friends and not coming home until the street lights came on.

"Creature Feature" ,,,Here Come the Brides...The Love Boat...The Banana Splits on tv.

Everyone walking to school and the worst embarrassment is having your mom or dad walk with you.

Trick or Treat started ON HALLOWEEN when it got DARK OUTSIDE.

GI Joe was 12" tall

Major Matt Mason

Staying home from school when you are sick and laying on the couch, drinking 7Up from a bottle and watching daytime tv which consisted of the morning movie (with jackpot questions during the commercials) and game shows later on. Let's Make a Deal with Monte Hall..Password...What's My Line
  • HannahK08
    HannahK08 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I remember when Saturday morning cartoons were AWESOME!
    I remember getting to play outside until the sun went down and then getting to play in the yard and catch lightnin bugs
    I remember when you could get swats from the principal
    I remember when all the boy bands were popular
    But most of all I remember

"WHO LOVES ORANGE SODA??? KEL LOVES ORANGE SODA... OH YES OH YES OH YES I DO-ooooooo"

lol
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Kids would leave out on their bikes and ride all day until the street lights came on and our parents never worried about us (or had cell phones they could call).

Playing Frogger ALL night.

Going to a game room (because we didn't have games we could play on our cell phones)

Microwave ovens cost like $10,000 (not really, but it was a lot)

Disc players and cameras

Shawn Cassidy was the hottest guy you'd EVER seen and every girl you knew had a t-shirt with him on it

Cordless phones were as big as your head

Evil Kineval was cool
  • willy0524
    willy0524 Posts: 1,897
    Options
    I remember MTV coming on the air.

When most TVs were black and white.

When Star Trek first aired.

That Michelle and Help Me, Rhonda came out in the first year.

Party lines.

When doors were left unlocked and you could count on the neighbours keeping you to the same rules your parents did, and telling them when you 'acted up'

Record players that played 45, 33 1/3 and 78

WOW I remember that too. Including:

Standard transmission on the column

Hi Beams foot switch next to the brake pedal

Cigarettes $0.20 per pack (glad I quit)

Gas lines during the 72 Arab oil embargo

Rawhide (Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates)

Geez this is making me feel old................:noway:
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I remember in the late 70's that 50 cents could buy you a bag of chips and a chocolate bar :-) and the base city rollers rocked :laugh:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    the base city rollers rocked :laugh:

LOL they still do! I bought their greatest hits a few years ago. I love all those old songs. It's pretty sad when you can remember lyrics fom 30 years ago :laugh:
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    When a song was coming to an end on the radio, waiting by the boombox with your finger on the record button so you didn't miss your new fav song!

YES!!! or hitting the record button quick enough so you got enough song but no radio broadcasters in it talking LOL!!!
    I used to tape TV shows that my faves were on on my portable cassette - see above :smile:
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Remember the School House Rocks commercials?
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

LOL they still do! I bought their greatest hits a few years ago. I love all those old songs. It's pretty sad when you can remember lyrics fom 30 years ago :laugh:
    I can remember...

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Nite! On A Saturday Night. A Saturday Night! :laugh: I got my plaid pants on and my hair cropped on the top!
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I'll bet my Pog collection would put yours to shame. Also you know what I remember, My super effective method of getting my nintendo cartridges to work. blow into the cartridge using your shirt as a filter and smack your knee with it 3 times.

I did that too.. well, without smacking my knee! The question is, why would you do it three times? :laugh:

first couple of times was out of anger, then I realized it worked.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was 18 years old and paid only $.87 cents for regular gas, not regular unleaded but just regular gas. I didn't drive a car that used unleaded gas. I remember when you'd blow into your Nintendo games then hit them up against something to get them to start working again, and using pencils to tighten the loose tape in your music cassette or BETA or VHS tapes. I remember BETA and had plenty of them. I also remember when VHS videos came out to purchase and were always like $89. WTF? And I remember being stupid enough to pay that price for them. I remember saying the Pledge of Allegiance in school and having to say Amen afterwards. I remember the Big Blue Marble and Land Of The Lost, my favorite show ever haha. I remember going to the opening of Fantasia in the theaters. I remember the original Weebles, Stretch Arm Strong, Lincoln Longs, Shrinky Dinks, Sea Monkeys, Simon, Light Bright and Easy Bake Oven. Now they're all lame and nothing like their oldschool versions. I remember the day when we actually had to go to the arcade to play video games. TRON was the *kitten*! That WAS my game, I loved it. I remember when we used microfiche and remember having to search through the old school file cabinets and card catalogs in the library to find my books. I remember when roller skating WAS the *kitten* and remember Roller Boogie. I was so in love with Jason Bray? It think that was his name haha. Wow, so many things but not enough time.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i remember watching the first video at my next door neighbor's house - only house on the street with cable.
    I remember when MTV actually played music.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    not sure if this one has been said - i remember holding my tape recorder up to the radio to tape favorite songs
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    3 2 1 CONTACT! LOVE IT
    Captain Kangaroo.

Romper Room.

Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

Sesame Street. (never went away)

3-2-1 Contact!

OMG! I LOVED 3-2-1 Contact! I used to rush home from the bus stop umteen blocks away just to watch it and Scooby Doo after school. I remember After School Specials. I remember the 20 Minute Workout. I remember watching Romper Room in the morning before school. I remember putting aluminum foil on the TV antenna. I remember when Nike and Reebok tennis shoes first came out.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    OMG this was my childhood. i'm loving reading these brings back so many memories
    I remember I Spy and New Zoo Revue. When Shaggy and Scooby never palled around with Scrappy. I remember leaving the house just after Saturday morning cartoons and not coming home until you could see the light of fireflies.

The day we brought home the Atari and how kick butt Space Invaders was to play.
    I was the the t.v. remote as well as the dish washer and on the weekends I also played lawn mowing service.

Awww the memories of the box fan as air conditioning, blessed was the day we go a ceiling fan...

I remember during the week it was homework before anything and if failed at school it was my fault and not the teachers.

I remember if I misbehaved the only time out I got was the time it took the belt to reconnect with my *kitten*.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    didn't collect them but collected stickers.
    Oh...and who here collected Garbage Pail Kid cards?!?!? Eh...eh??? *raises hand*
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I remember when MTV actually played music.

I remember that. Good tiiiimes.

I remember when kids actually played outside. >.<
  • Anastasia0511
    Options
    Punky Brewster

Webster

Different Strokes

Facts of Life

Alf

CHiPs

Love Boat

Fantasy Island

Mork and Mindy

Land of the Lost

I think I watched too much TV as a kid...

Xanadu

Breakfast Club

16 Candles

St. Elmo's Fire

Did we grow up together?? These are some of my all time faves!!!!
    I must of lived across the street from the both of you's lol.
    Land of the Lost was my favorite show EVER lol and last month I was visiting some relatives and went to a county fair and OMG I found it in one of the exhibit halls on DVD, season 1 and bought it. I love your selection here and have all of that on box set dvds minus Alf who I hated lol but my brother LOVED. Mork and Mindy I watched but don't own it or Punky Brewster but watched her too. LOVE The Fact of Life and have re-watched seasons 1,2 and 3 at least 10 times. Xanadu is still one of my all time fav movies and 16 Candles. Was sooooo in love with "Jake Ryan" in that movie lol and how cute did "Farmer Ted" get as he grew up and started acting on the HBO show The Dead Zone which I love! Life was amazing back in those days. Our music kicked *kitten*. Every male singer from that era had a good voice and the TV shows were awesome. AND we had Space Invaders and Galaxy and Tron! :D
  • Anastasia0511
    Options

Bay City Rollers ;) Are you kidding me, its awesome that we still remember all these lyrics. If only I would of applied myself in school like that I'd be some high flootin' executive right now lol. I love all those TIME magazine CD's where you get like 10 cd's for $100 and all of the One Hit Wonders from back in the day on 10 discs. Music was amazing back then, all of it. Even if you didn't like the genre, the musicians and vocalists had some integrity back then and it was about the music and not the producers like it is nowadays. And everyone had a good voice no matter what they sang, who they were, male of female. Singers were good, period :D
  • myfitnessisavirtue
    myfitnessisavirtue Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Apple IIe computer with a dot matrix printer

Wearing overalls with one strap undone on purpose