my latte had how many calories?!?!?!

Options
So this moring I decided to stop and get myself a chai soy milk latte. The spicy, sweet goodness was beckoning me. I finished that lovely concoction and dutifully logged into MPF to journal my consumption. 310!!!!calories later, I am planning an extra long workout tonight. What treat did you eat thinking it wasn't going to be too horrible and then you found out the real truth?

Replies

• kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    yuuup.. that chai is sneaky.. I'm getting rid of my oregon chai concentrate.. pure sugar.. and 90 calories for 1/2 cup! My solution when I'm really craving chai is getting actual chai tea (bags of looseleaf- 0 cals).. and brewing it in some almond milk (30-40 cals) and adding a little honey (0-20 cals) or stevia for sweetness
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've learned that if it tastes good, it as lots of calories. Plain boring tasteless food is the only way to go.
  • amy_36
    amy_36 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I will never give up my FF Chai tea latte. Maybe that is why I remain overweight :/
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My starbucks obsession went out the door when i realized the calories. I couldnt imagine my normal drink was around 300 an sometimes more than that!! I make coffee and put a scoop or whey protein in it now which gives it a mocha taste, the only calories in it are the protein but its like a meal, so it works.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    as an official SB barista i can say that some of our stuff is just ridiculous but a lot of it can be improved and made healthier. did you know you can ask for protein powder in your lattes? it makes them creamy and protein packed! also we have a bunch of sugar free syrups if thats your bag. also asking for less pumps of something is an easy way to cut calories. just some ideas. :)
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Philly cheesesteak sandwhich. Now it was on my free day, and i knew it would have a lot of calories. Its a 15 inch real philly cheese-steak, cheese, onions and peppers. I figured i was being generous assuming 1000 calories. I ate it, and it was GOOD. Then i looked it up. 1800! Oh. My. God. Thats crazy! Lol. I'll still have one every few months or so on my free day though. Theyre too good not to :) the shop's slogan is 'caution: may be habit forming' :p
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ahmazing!! i didnt know starbucks had protein powder there!! :D im hooked all over again =/ haha
  • barbellina
    Options
    The cake in my profile pic. 3200 calories or something. No wonder I got fat lol. Sometimes you gotta have a little cake before breakfix.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Is that you in your profile pic?
  • jobelle217
    jobelle217 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Marble slab shake......1800 or so calories! Couldn't believe it!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Chai lattes from Starbucks are my weakness, too!
    I used to get a chai latte anywhere from 1-5 times a week, but now I try and avoid Starbucks *whimper*.
    If I simply MUST have one, I try and ask for only a tall and with fat-free milk.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Danish pastries - and they are so nice :-(
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    In the future ask for those types of coffees with skimmed or soy milk in it, as it'll bring the calorie content way down. Most places will automatically do it with whole milk unless you specify otherwise. I also ask for my favourite hazelnut latte with sugar free syrup. I also only ask for a 'tall' now. I've found that that's really all I need.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I used to order either a medium or large mocha with whipped cream @ starbucks.
    Since I knew I couldn't give it it up now I order a small skinny latte with hazelnut syrup approx 100 calories :) I love the foam
    I have also pretty much stopped eating pasties and sausage rolls also anything greasy. If I have them now it give me a upset tummy and make me feel yuk. I dont really miss them that much
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love Starbucks and I'll never stop treating myself to it every now and then. I downloaded their nutrition facts, though, so I'm able to plan ahead when I know I'm gonna go there. And I went from always ordering a grande drink to a tall. The other day, they were out of soy milk and I had to get normal lactose free milk. To apologize, the barista made me a grande instead of a tall without asking. I was almost heartbroken. Haha.

Oh, and I got myself a Dolce Gusto coffee machine. Their Chai Tea is almost as good as Starbucks (no soy, though) and it "only" has around 90 calories. Still a lot but not as many as Starbucks.

Oh, by the way, Starbucks Germany recently had signs up saying they always make drinks with skimmed milk unless you ask for anything else. I think that's pretty cool.
  • socialyte1
    Options
    I could not help but smile when i saw this thread. I have been indulging in homemade Tazo chai lattes daily for the last week. I use 4 oz of organic vanilla soy milk and 4 oz of Tazo. This has become a breakfast staple for me since my all day classes have begun. I am still loosing weight but have slacked off on posting my intake. Seeing the amount of calories listed for this drink made me realize i better get back to counting cals. Thanks guys! :wink:
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had a few shockers like this and now my husband and I are obsessed with tracking. We will actually stand outside a restaurant with our phones out trying to figure out if there is anything there we can eat. It's kind of sad actually. People probably think we're nuts.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I hate popping into a sandwich shop at lunch, picking what looks healthiest at the counter (tuna melt) and then discovering it is 600 odd calories.
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    TGI Fridays Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger....I knew it wouldn't be pretty so I ate half...good, right?! Only half ended up being nearly 800 calories!! Over 1500 had I eaten the entire thing! And you can get this thing "ultimate" sized!?! I shutter to think how bad that must be!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    320 cals in 2ox salad dressing at Zoe's resturant... Wtf!!!