Is 5lbs in two weeks too fast?

Options
Hi, I just joined and I started the program and didn't really change anything other than limiting calories. Well... it's REALLY working!

The thing is, should I be happy or alarmed?

All the web sites say that more than 2lbs. a week is dangerous.

I really haven't done anything drastic. I've been eating and everything, even keeping myself from being hungry even though I am eating less than I used to.

I was also thinking maybe my weigh in wasn't accurate. You know, time of day, water intake, food intake etc. might have changed the results from day to day.

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Hi...

If you are just starting out i dont think that is alarming. Your body is getting used to the change and the lower or better calories. Are you keeping up with the amount of calories MFP gives you or more? When i first started losing weight i lost 4lbs every week for the first month. then 3lbs a week the seond month. Now it is a more consistent 1-2 lbs a week and i just finished the 3rd month. I am down 37lbs so far. I changed what i ate and i moved my body.

So, make sure you are eating enough whether you are hungry or not . Its important to keep your body fueled but with the right fuel. Good luck to you !

Also, you should weigh in at the same day and time each week. Usually in the morning before you have had anything to eat/drink etc.
  • zozie73
    zozie73 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi
    I joined MFP just under 3 weeks ago and have lost 8lbs already. From my experience of any weight loss / healthy eating programme, I always lose really fast the first 2 or 3 weeks and then it settles down to about 1 or 2 lbs a week, I've always put this down to the change in eating and the increase in exercise, in the first few weeks.
    I have just reset my daily allowance to 1400 from 1200, as I know that 1200 is too low for me and that with this I will still lose weight (have done in the past I just never seem to be able to stick at things for long enough - except this time I am determined to get my weight down and have it stay there.
    Good luck on the journey
    x
  • zozie73
    zozie73 Posts: 26
    Options
    Also agree to weigh yourself at the same time (ish) and wearing the same things / very little:smile:
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't worry about it. The weight comes off fast in the first couple of weeks. It's usually water weight. As far as I see you have nothing to worry about.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you just started, that is completely normal. it's your body getting shocked from the restricted calorie intake and exercise, and the surplus of water.

this will even out, and especially with your monthly cycle, you might even go up a pound or two for a week. just please don't make a thread in two weeks that your weight has gone up.
  • KabbyGU
    KabbyGU Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I dropped 5lbs in the first week...it's pretty normal for me when I drastically go from eating like crap to eating within my calorie budget. Nothing to be alarmed about for the first few weeks. (they say the first ten are the easiest!). You should start seeing a healthy slow loss in the weeks to come.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Hello! You will see a larger weight loss within the first couple of weeks than you will later on. Your body is probably dropping a lot of water weight and getting used to your new lifestyle. It's nothing to be alarmed about.

Keep up the great work!
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Just starting out, the weight comes off quick, as a lot of it is water weight and your body is in shock adjusting to the new you. It will slow down soon. Don't worry -all is ok!
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I lost about 8 lbs in my first 2 weeks of dieting, but if you look at the amount of weight I have to lose then its okay - I have slowed down and regularly lose 2lbs a week now which I want to be more but know it would be bad for me, I'm happy plodding along getting smaller and fitter by the day. Its a great feeling even if it takes longer to get to my goal weight - there's a greater chance of me staying there I think. Good luck on your journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Normally the first few weeks are water weight. Presumably, you have reduced the amount of processed foods you are eating. Your body will kick in to actual fat loss mode soon!

Just keep in mind that water weight goes quickly, but it comes quickly, too. So if you have a high sodium day (eating out at a restaurant for example), it will also show on the scale. Just knowing how water weight affects the scale so drastically helps me reconcile the numbers on scale.
  • dpure
    dpure Posts: 18
    Options
    2-3lbs a week is fine.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posts that it's probably mostly water. Most people will lose faster in the beginning while the body adjusts to the better choices and less sodium filled, processed foods. Once adjusted and you begin losing actual fat, that loss will slow down.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined and I started the program and didn't really change anything other than limiting calories. Well... it's REALLY working!

The thing is, should I be happy or alarmed?

All the web sites say that more than 2lbs. a week is dangerous.

I really haven't done anything drastic. I've been eating and everything, even keeping myself from being hungry even though I am eating less than I used to.

I was also thinking maybe my weigh in wasn't accurate. You know, time of day, water intake, food intake etc. might have changed the results from day to day.

After just logging what I was eating for a week, I cut out my biggest junk food item- a nasty 600 calories every day plus the fat and sugar. That and cutting out the mountain dew most of the time ended up in a quick drop.

I've changed my goal from 2lb a week to 1lb a week last week because I don't want to do too much too fast while breastfeeding. I can always bump it back up after he is weaned.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    naw not in the beginning, i lost 3 pounds my first week. Your body is adapting and losing the water first off. I tend to lose 2 pounds on average a week, but I have gone a week with no loss and the next week i lost 4! Sometimes your body has to catch up.