New food you have tried while dieting

Options
I'm on MFP for a while now (about 1 year) but seriously logging my food/exercise/etc. for 4 weeks now and have set a goal weight that I want to get to.
Dieting is a bit of a challenge for me sometimes because I don't like raw veggies and salads..
Because of that I figured I'd have to try to eat new things.
I thought introducing 1 new 'food' per week would be reasonable... and interresting !

Last week I made veggy and lentil soup and it was excellent ! I never had lentils before :)
This week I tried low fat creton on my toast and it's really good !

What do you do to try and bring a good variation in your menu ?

Replies

• Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Kale, Swiss Chard, Quinoa, Greek Yogurt (never really liked yogurt). And the big one... FRUIT! I loathe fruit and never eat it, but I have been more and more eating it and actually enjoying it.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love most fruit but never tried any new ones. Mango was a new one as well as figs. I'm trying to just try something new every now and then and learn to mix it up.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I use it evryday in my coffee and I love it :-)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've started drinking Silk's Almond Milk. I love moo juice, and giving it up on a low carb diet was tough. Almond milk isn't the same thing, but it's got the whole creamy goodness thing down pat!

Also, I've had an insatiable desire for zucchini. LOVE that stuff!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of an old hack and my diet is quite varied but when I first moved to an area with large Asian markets, I used to go in and pick up one item I've never eaten before and figure out what to do with it. It was a fun experiment and tried quite a few veggies I've never had. I stayed away from the durian though. If I go to the store, I do tend to buy unusual veggies that I rarely see.

I think dandelion greens were one of the things that surprised me the most because I never knew they were edible. I like them sautéed or in soup.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    almond milk, grapefruit, stevia, spinach, greek yogurt and a few new veggies. Grapefruit is not one that I am really fond of.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I miss grapefruit but it interacts with so many medications, including birth control.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Eggplant. Not a fan, but I'll try again.
    Heavy whipping cream. Use it for a bunch of stuff now.
    Lots of different recipes.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Was never very keen on yogurts but got a bio live strawberry one from shop today...and it was gorgeous!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm on MFP for a while now (about 1 year) but seriously logging my food/exercise/etc. for 4 weeks now and have set a goal weight that I want to get to.
    Dieting is a bit of a challenge for me sometimes because I don't like raw veggies and salads..
    Because of that I figured I'd have to try to eat new things.
    I thought introducing 1 new 'food' per week would be reasonable... and interresting !

Last week I made veggy and lentil soup and it was excellent ! I never had lentils before :)
    This week I tried low fat creton on my toast and it's really good !

What do you do to try and bring a good variation in your menu ?

I tried lentils too and really enjoyed them! I ended up putting them in stuffed peppers instead of rice. It was really yummy, and I think next time I can even take out the ground beef.

I also tried barley, brown rice, all kinds of new veggies(like radishes!) and fresh beets. I feel like I have opened a whole new world of food that is underappreciated. I always liked veggies before, now I crave them!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Aloe vera juice... Its has a strange texture but I like it, it is supposed to be very good for your skin and has anti aging propertys

Beetroot juice... Read about it in a fitness mag, apparently its a superfood, good for oxygenating the blood so im giving that a go as well
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out sodium and lose weight - so I've been eating NATURAL foods.......cheese, eggs, whole milk, grass fed beef, vegggies, fruit, sea salts and fancy pants exotic sugars (not really more expensive but better quality, less is MORE!)

I love now: tomatoes, basil (all fresh herbs), GARLIC (a girl can never have enough garlic!), coconut oil for skin/feet and olive oil!

Oh and chia seeds! My cholesterol numbers took a big JUMP HIGHER in the RIGHT direction after just 4 months....my good cholesterol went from 33 to 41. :)

Good luck!
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of an old hack and my diet is quite varied but when I first moved to an area with large Asian markets, I used to go in and pick up one item I've never eaten before and figure out what to do with it. It was a fun experiment and tried quite a few veggies I've never had. I stayed away from the durian though. If I go to the store, I do tend to buy unusual veggies that I rarely see.

Yes. For the love of God, stay away from the Durian. I had a Durian milkshake (in a restaurant, there is no way I'm brining that smell home),,,,,tasted like raw meat. YUCKY. And the smell. Your neighbours will thank you.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    kale, quinoa, millet, bulgur, any new spices you dont usually use, plain yogurt, a new fish you haven't tried, arugula (one of my faves).
  • iBetYouDontBelieveMe
    Options
    Radishes.

I used to totally avoid them, but then I heard that they were like 1 calorie per, plus they're crunchy and dense, so I tried them out.
    I can eat them raw, but they're a bit spicy and bitter.

TIP(!)
    Legit though, try this out.

Buy a can of Campbell's reduced sodium chicken soup, and boil a bunch of radishes in it.

When they're done they have a taste and texture that is almost identical to those little potatoes, except they're only 1 calorie per!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Today is my second time in the last week that we are having spaghetti squash. I've fallen in love with canned zucchini with tomato sauce, but now need to try it fresh. Cauliflower rice is now on our menu. Looking for many other ideas.

I'd like to know if anyone has a low fat, low cal recipe for fruit cobbler. That would be yummy. Oh, we've also had mango for the first time.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to new foods yet this go around, but over various times I've eaten healthier I've learned to love avocado, steel cut oats, almond milk, Greek yogurt (though I'm still picky about what kinds I'll eat), different kinds of fish, wheat germ, flax seed, and, yes, lentils!

Quinoa and jicama are still on the list to try (I can't ever seem to find jicama in the store though!)
  • slrobin88
    slrobin88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Vita tops (OMG delicious-TRY THEM!!), and quinoa so far. Now I want to try lentils, haha!
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    protein bars...didnt realize i didnt get enough and also watching sodium
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Eggplant, spaghetti squash, tilapia, , juicing, frozen greek yogurt, spinach wraps, asparagus, mango, grapefruit, and I'm sure there's more.