Bloating advice, PLEASE! ):

Options
Hi,

I used to think I needed to lose a bit of tummy paunch, but I'm steadily starting to think more and more that my real problem is bloating and chronic constipation :S (sorry guys, there may be mention of stools and such so apologies in advance!!)

I'm 5"1, and 7 stone - about 99lbs - which is at the lower end of a healthy BMI for someone my age and size. I don't think I need to lose much more weight. BUT I've always felt that my worst feature is my little pot belly :S I have a narrow waist, from front on and behind I look skinny, but when I see myself from the side I just think URGH!

Right now I am eating healthily, I've stopped trying to lose weight actively for now and am just eating just below my TDEE (so about 1600 cals per day). I eat all the things they tell you to eat if you have constipation - veg, wholegrains, plenty of water.

I very rarely have an easy bowel movement - to the extent that when a real log comes out I'm seriously proud! (Gross, I know, but that's the facts!)

My typical eating habits are:
Peanut butter on a slice of toast about 7-8am, plus a glass of water
Water in the morning/afternoon, usually about a pint or more from 9am-12 noon
Lunch that's usually some sort of protein, usually fish or chicken, plus veg and perhaps rice or pasta for carbs, with another glass of water, around 12 noon
Another pint of so of water between lunch and dinner
Dinner at 6-7pm is usually another meat, often a stew or a cut of meat with potatoes or veg (my mother cooks this so it's not as healthy as my other meals, but is still pretty virtuous as she's also on a bit of a diet), plus another glass of water

I used to snack more inbetween meals but I found this grazing method isnt for me, as I just overeat and never feel satisfied.

So basically, do you think bloating is my problem? And what on earth can I do to help it?!

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    What's your fiber intake look like?

How often do you exercise?

Fiber and exercise both "get things moving", so I'd check those first before assuming there might be a food intolerance involved.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I don't think I have a food intolerance because it's pretty constant - I wake up with a flat tummy, once I eat anything it bulges out and doesn't go down again all day =/

I do a 45 min weight/strength training workout every other day, as well as a 20 min run every other day too, and a brisk walk whenever I can.

As for fibre, these last few days it's been lower than normal, but I usually manage to hit the 18-20g mark.
  • vijitjain
    Options
    You can try some natural, home based remedies for bloating provided by the below site.

https://www.gasrelief.com

This site is dedicated only to providing solutions to digestion related ailments. Their suggestions are natural, home based and available online. It may really be useful.

Good luck!
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    An over the counter probiotic should help. Good luck!
  • jtinker2010
    Options
    Bloating is most always diet related. I just lost a 12 pounds and 16 inches doing the Beachbody Ultimate reset. It was awesome and really cleaned out a lot of bloating. Will help with the constipation too. It also cleaned up a lot of my emotional eating issues. Hard to imagine, but true. www.ultimatereset.com/dtinker

Cut out your carbs. You might be allergic to peanut butter. Peanuts are very toxic to some people and not super good for you. Try almond butter. Also if I read your weight correctly, you might not be getting enough nutrition...

Good luck.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Water, stool softener, and omg, get some fiber in your diet. More fiber will get it all moving.
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    An over the counter probiotic should help. Good luck!

Do you just look for something labeled "probiotic" at the pharmacy?

I also have mild constipation whenever I am trying to eat well. It seems related to my fat intake as any time I cheat and eat a fatty food things are normal again. It's the bloated tummy feeling that bothers me the most.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So sorry! that's so uncomfortable, and frustrating.
    I have experienced that, too. And it did not matter how well I ate, I couldn't seem to normalize!
    Here, problem solved:

www.drnatura.com

Get their fiber and laxative tea, at least.
    If you can, order the cleanse kit.
    Seriously, anything else I tried was just miserable and uncomfortable and harsh.
    But this works, is totally comfortable and soothing, and makes your digestion perfect again.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have the exact problem to the tee,they said ibs take over counter powders didn't this went on for 6 yrs. Finally they did more testing found out I have celatic diease so i eat guten free &WHEat free.it's helping but takes a while have no more bloating & still have some promblem going to bathroom but bloating gone. PLUS I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.maybe talk to DR.about it. I did best move i made
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too suffer with constipation if I don't get enough fibre. certainly 20gms is over the recommended daily intake. Looking at your daily diet i note you don't mention fruit which is a good source of soluble fibre (5 prunes soaked overnight in cold tea does the trick every time) as opposed to rice & wholegrain that is non solluble. I'm assuming your bread/rice/pasta is all wholegrain? I sometimes add a tablespoon of organic oatbran to my natural yoghurt that helps a lot. As you are already slim, perhaps you should look at eating more & concentrate on strengthening your core & abs muscles to reduce the tummy?
  • tinarhodes
    tinarhodes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Had this problem and conquered it:) First, the probiotic is a must, it helps with keeping good bacteria in the gut and will help with digestion and elimination. Second, with your statement, "I wake up with a flat tummy...", I know exactly what you're talking about and it probably points to what you're eating for breakfast. I would definitely try completely changing it up and see if you notice a difference. I have type 0 blood and we don't tolerate grains well, especially wheat (major bloating). We also don't tolerate dairy or any corn or corn-based products. All of these cause bloating in me, the dairy also causes lethargy in this blood type. If I stay away from these products and take a probiotic my tummy stays flat and I feel so much better! Maybe this will help:)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have the exact problem, and like you, even when I was VERY thin, I would bloat instantly from any food I ate. Probiotics are big deal (I had a series of antibiotics in my life for acne, which I think seriously damaged all the good little guys in my stomach).

I eat a tablespoon or so of chia seeds every day because someone, somewhere, mentioned it helped them with bloat. I HAVE noticed a difference. I can go out to eat, and don't look like I have a baby in pictures right after.

Also, of course... work the abs. As I've done more core training, my stomach has flattened to a point that it's harder for my stomach to bloat.

Let me know what ends up working for you.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys :)

To answer some of the points I've read in all your posts:

- I don't think I'm intolerant to my breakfast foods; over the years I've had lots of different breakfasts (I tend to go through phases of always having a certain food, be it cereal, or toast, or even salad!) and I always get the same bloating. I do often switch it up with almond butter too, so it isn't the peanuts.

- I don't eat too much fruit purely because I try hard to watch my sugar intake, as when I was trying to lose weight I figured that this is the one area where I am naughty. Also, I'm not overly partial to a lot of fruit, I prefer my veggies - of which I eat loads, easily get my 5-a-day, and surely that contains the right fibre too?

- I'll look into probiotics, though I'd add that I don't ever get uncomfortable bloating or pain really - it's just a big annoyance!

I will say that last night I took a dose of mild sennokot laxative, and this morning I did manage to get things moving, which is a rlief as it cant be good to have stuff all backed up (it also did it really gently, I wasn't dashing to the loo like it was a terrible emergency!! lol!) So I may take that for a few more days, but no more, I know its only a short term solution. Maybe if I do that while making an active attempt t up my fibre and water even more, things will even out *fingers crossed*
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    Also, to the few people who've said I'm too thin/not getting enough nutrition, I eat a very healthy balanced diet, and I have super healthy/clear eyes, skin, hair and nails - which are the best indicators of how much nutrition someone is getting!! Plus, I'm not skin and bones, I've got a good amount of muscle on me, and some fat deposits.
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How long have you had your symptoms?

I'd surgest a visit to the doctors.

I suffer from IBS and a 2 years ago I suffered from constant bloating and constipation which with IBS is quite normal, but I'm quite good at controlling my IBS through diet. After a month or two I went to the doctors and as I suffer with IBS it was put down to that. Month later I was still the same and went back but seen a lady doctor who also was a gyneacologist, she examined me and gave me an internal and informed me she could feel a lump, no what I expected to hear! I was booked in for a scan and turned out I had a boarderline ovarian tumor within months I expanded and by time I got it removed looked heavily pregnant. The tumor weighed 35lbs I never gained weight as I was eating healthy and trying to loose weight I just maintain, once removed couldn't believe who much weight I'd lost.
    Now I never hesitate on going to the doctors whether I think its something or nothing I go.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I suffer from IBS and a 2 years ago I suffered from constant bloating and constipation which with IBS is quite normal, but I'm quite good at controlling my IBS through diet. After a month or two I went to the doctors and as I suffer with IBS it was put down to that. Month later I was still the same and went back but seen a lady doctor who also was a gyneacologist, she examined me and gave me an internal and informed me she could feel a lump, no what I expected to hear! I was booked in for a scan and turned out I had a boarderline ovarian tumor within months I expanded and by time I got it removed looked heavily pregnant. The tumor weighed 35lbs I never gained weight as I was eating healthy and trying to loose weight I just maintain, once removed couldn't believe who much weight I'd lost.
    Now I never hesitate on going to the doctors whether I think its something or nothing I go.

Just go off of this, since I also know someone who had the exact same problem (and went into the doctors BECAUSE she looked pregnant, but wasn't)... that symptom is generally, like you said, CONSTANT bloating. The problem is more a bloat immediately after food.

Again, I suggest probiotics because I think it's heavily IBS related. I also suggest it COULD be partially genetic. Many people on my dad's side, including me, regardless of their diets (since some of them are gluten-free) still get the weird insta-bloat. It's annoying that sometimes I try to avoid eating before swimming, lest all the hard work I've had seems shot the moment I eat a carrot and put on a bikini.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I think it may be IBS related yeah - mostly because, long story short I have a boyfriend who lives a few hours away by train, so I get the train quite often to visit him, and the trains used to stress me out at first because I was travelling alone, scared of missing them, etc, and in the morning before I left I'd quite often get a bit of diaherreoa which was clearly stress-related. And I git it at other stressed times too.

Not sure I want to have to go to the doctor's about it, like I say, it's never uncomfortable, I just get a bit gassy and have a bit of trouble 'going'. I'm actually feeling like I'm a lot better today, as I took some laxatives last night - feeling much less bloated today, so hopefully things will even out.
    I think I'll eat more probiotic yoghurt though, that seems like a good idea.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options

Just go off of this, since I also know someone who had the exact same problem (and went into the doctors BECAUSE she looked pregnant, but wasn't)... that symptom is generally, like you said, CONSTANT bloating. The problem is more a bloat immediately after food.

I don't think it's that, I'm certainly not constantly bloated and I've not put weight on in the past year or so, if anything I've verrryy slowly lost weight (I was about 110lbs this time last year). I know for a fact I'm often gassy and so I think the problem is definitely gas-related bloating, not a tumour :L
  • 4manda76
    4manda76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it's a tumour, but what I am saying is it's better to be safe than sorry!

Wouldn't it be better to have a diagnosises and know what your dealing with than just guessing?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    DUMP the peanut butter! Most Doctors and pharmacists will tell you peanuts in any form are the hardest food to digest and can cause constipation.