will my cellulite ever go away?

Options
So one of my major motivators is to have nice legs again--I once used to be proud of them but that seems like a million years ago. I lost about 40 pounds two years ago and my legs look ok in tights or pants, since I've got good leg muscles now, but uncovered it's another story. A story of cellulite!!

My question is, if I continue to lose and exercise and tone, will the cellulite eventually go away, when I'm fit and muscly and slender enough? Or will I just have slender orange-peel thighs?

I'm scared of the answer! But I think I'd rather know the truth...

Replies

• nphillips0124
    Options
    Since cellulite consists of fat formations it should reduce when you lose weight- but of course it doesn't always go away :( Toning up the muscle underneath helps to smooth the lumpiness. I've heard it's hereditary, which would explain a lot. I've seen large people without it and skinny people covered in it- arms, legs, everywhere!

....I sometimes think of that to feel a little better :P
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I used to have cellulite when I was 105 pounds. Now 5 years later I am 112 pounds and have no cellulite. The way I got rid of it was eating more, and lifting heavy weights, including squats, deadlifts, and lunges. I basically replaced the fat (all of my fat was in my thighs/hips) with muscles, now they look shapely and firm even though I weigh more.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. When I was in college I went down to my all-time low weight of 88 pounds (hated the food) and the tiny bit of cellulite I had went away. Now, decades later, I don't think that would happen because my skin is thinner and cellulite is caused in part by connective tissue pressing against the surface of the skin. As you age or if you are pregnant, the hormonal levels change, which affects the skin. Being heavy usually makes it more noticeable, but losing weight won't necessarily eliminate it.

I, too,have seen youngish people of normal weight who surprisingly had cellulite on their legs and arms.

All you can do is continue to lose weight and exercise and see what happens.
  • mskatee
    mskatee Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everybody! Sounds like there are no guarantees but there IS reason to hope, which is good.

Kdiamond, I've been lifting heavy weights for about two weeks now and I cannot BELIEVE the difference it's made, particularly in my arms. They are toning up practically before my eyes.

It makes me mad thinking about all those hours I wasted lifting tiny 5-pound weights!! :grumble:
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes dear cellulite can be removed with the help of exercise. Do Exercises like swimming, walking, stair stepping and even dancing will facilitate burn calories and these exercises can help remove cellulite from the legs. You can also massage the portion where you feel cellulite it helps to get rid of it.
  • smaslyn
    smaslyn Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't ever post anything but I wanted to share my recent experience. I am 47 and have always been in good shape. I ran about 2 miles 4-5 times a week and did push ups,, sit-ups etc. about 2 years ago I had to stop running due to knee pain and a tight hamstring. I never had cellulite before and over the last year I noticed it everywhere! I was so discouraged! I figured I am almost 50 and this is part of aging! :(. But I have a big year coming up with 3 daughters getting married!!! Yes, I said 3!!! I saw a personal trainer and he gave me some stretches for my hamstrings and the pain went away do I started to run again. It's been about a month and I can hardly believe it but the cellulite is gone!!!! It's absolutely amazing! Don't give up hope!
  • emmahealth93
    Options
    Last year I had really bad and noticeable (to me anyway) cellulite all over my thighs. After reading a lot that exercise was the best way to reduce it I started to go to the gym, I did a lot of cardio but I couldn't really see much happening in the leg department, I was losing weight but the cellulite was still there. I started the Joey Atlas programme (which I was also skeptical about having never paid for an exercise programme before and worried about online scams) but it has helped an awful lot, combined with lifting heavy weights as a previous user said and doing 20-30 minutes of cardio every other day. I think it goes when you lose fat and gain muscle, I think the key is in building muscle in the legs and bum! I do still have a few stubborn dimples but I'm hoping they may be gone, or at least almost gone, by next summer! Good luck to you, and remember you're not alone! :)