My BMI is discouraging

Options
Okay, so I just checked my BMI. I understand that they don't calculate much for muscle or a healthy appearance, but it still really sucked when my BMI said that I was considered obese. I don't consider myself obese, though I do completely understand that I am overweight.

Does anyone else get slightly discouraged by BMI calculators?

Replies

• shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Yes. I take it with a pinch of salt, but it is discouraging.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do! I think my BMI is at 35? I can't remember. Granted, its incredibly horrible, but it is discouraging. But let that motivate you to not be in that category anymore!
  • livelivefree
    livelivefree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my bmi was in the obese range, instead of letting myself get discouraged by that i set myself a goal to get to a normal weight bmi.
    now i am not only there but exactly in the middle of normal.
  • Corexecution
    Options
    Don't use BMI. Its not accurate when you are working out and have muscle. Calculate your bodyfat instead. You can buy an electric one pretty inexpensive and it will count for your muscle. Its easy to use and alot more accurate than BMI.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    "Obese" in the BMI scale is not "obese" as we'd generally think of it. Most people probably cross that line are a bit chubby rather than very fat. For instance, here is somebody who is just at the border of obese.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/1472354096/in/set-72157602199008819/

That's taken from the Flickr album of illustrated BMI categories. http://www.flickr.com/photos/77367764@N00/sets/72157602199008819/

So yes, I think it is discouraging to find out your obese, but I think that's partly because we have our own idea of what it means and that's at odds with the BMI categories. Once you see other people who are borderline obese, you get more of an idea of what it really means.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    BMI may not be a great metric, but it is a decent indicator of where you are. If you're frustrated by your number, stop calculating BMI! Focus on other indicators: absolute weight, measurements, clothing size, etc.

My BMI is now "Normal," but not too long ago I was "Overweight." And this surprised me, as I thought, after having lost a good deal of weight, that I would certainly be "Normal." This realization motivated me to push harder to lose the additional 10 pounds or so I needed. So for me, BMI was a key motivator.

--P
  • lambing05
    Options
    this bmi result help me realized that i need to change my lifestyle. Use it as motivation to go get your goal. I just started a month ago and i am looking forward to be in healthy or normal stage.
  • ShaunMc1968
    Options
    BMI should be looked at considered and then get on with your life of getting fit.
    Lots of professional rugby players who are some of the fittest guys in the world have high BMI !
    Don't worry about it.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I personally don't bother with it.....a bodybuilder who has just 3% body fat and is as fit as would come out as 'obese' due to height/weight calculation. In my opinion it's far too simplistic.....
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Considering mine was 41.1 when I started *hides under paper bag* but is a 33.1 now, that's encouraging! Silver linings...
  • clarebetteridge
    Options
    HI, My BMI says I am obese too but I think we weigh the same. I ignore it as it doesn't take into account physique. i bought some scales which give body fat, visceral fat and muscle and bone mass and they are great. I have a lot of muscle mass (covered by fat!!). Just keep going as you are not far from your BMI just saying you are overweight
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Get a soft measuring tape and plug your numbers into a body fat calculator for a much more useful number.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    BMI iis not a good indicator of health because, it does not take into account what the weight consists of (i.e., muscle, fat, bones, organs, connective tissue etc.) Google "percent body fat and _Your_Town_" to find someone who can give you an accurate %BF. Then calculate gour goal weight based on a healthy %BF.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am 2 lbs away from obese - that was my first goal, next is to get my waist below 35, then halfway through fat, then into normal. I didn't want to admit how big I has gotten, but by setting smaller goals on my way to healthy its an easier battle. I have to remind myself it took 12 years and several injuries which demotivated me to get where I was. Now I am already feeling stronger and lighter. Love it. Thanks to MFP - the diet log is really helping - I really didn't understand how BIG my portions had been!
  • Pencilberry
    Pencilberry Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I know, it seems unfair. I feel fairly healthy yet I am one pound away from being overweight for my height (140 now vs 141 overweight). I see is as motivation though. It makes me try harder :)
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either, but it's reality and it's the kick in the booty I need to get it say "normal" or "healthy".
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    i know how you feel.. the last time i went to my doctors and they took my bmi, they told me that i was overweight for my height bracket and that i needed to loose weight. try not to think too much about it. itll come down in time as the pounds fall off.