Can you count housework as a way to burn calories?

Options
I've been busy all morning doing housework, like laundry, baking, dishes, making beds, etc. I haven't sat down until now. Is there any way to count this as excercise or at least burning calories?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    absolutely. Look "cleaning" up on the exercise tab under cardio. It gives you a choice of heavy cleaning or light cleaning. One day I did four hours of light cleaning and burned 666 calories!
  • krisc15
    krisc15 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    yes!! housework is in the exercise database i think it's cleaning light/moderate effort or vigorous effort
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sure! Especially if it isn't typical for your daily activities. I used to count walking my dog, but I do it 3-4 times a day, every day, so I've stopped counting it as exercise and just figure dog walking is part of my day to day activities.
  • para999sal
    Options
    When I do the same, I add it in as a brisk walk.:smile:
  • walkermom58
    walkermom58 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :smile: I found it and burned over 300 calories! :smile: I am usually at work as a secretary, so not on my feet for any extened period of time. So Saturday housework is different from my normal day. It is encourageing to see that in my diary. I probably won't eat those extra calories, though. What do you think?
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :smile: I found it and burned over 300 calories! :smile: I am usually at work as a secretary, so not on my feet for any extened period of time. So Saturday housework is different from my normal day. It is encourageing to see that in my diary. I probably won't eat those extra calories, though. What do you think?

I would eat a portion of them if you are counting it as exercise. This website overestimates calories burned so I wouldn't eat them all unless you got the figure by wearing a HRM.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I never do. Humans are not supposed to be just sitting around. Your supposed to be doing some work during the day. I only count intentional exercise that I set aside time for. I just feel like your cheating yourself if you count regular activities as exercise.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I wouldn't. I know its a lot of work but then it will become a convenient excuse not to do exercises that elevate the heart rate
  • walkermom58
    Options

I would eat a portion of them if you are counting it as exercise. This website overestimates calories burned so I wouldn't eat them all unless you got the figure by wearing a HRM.

Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking. BTW, I just figured out how to post my weight loss ticker. I'm kind of happy to report 11 pounds gone! Also, I really like the support from MFP message boards.
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I add housework under general cleaning - it's 2 birds with 1 stone and I like it. It also encourages me to stay active.
  • walkermom58
    Options
    I wouldn't. I know its a lot of work but then it will become a convenient excuse not to do exercises that elevate the heart rate

That's true. I still plan on walking to get that continuous/not stopping for 30 minutes type of workout.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Once a week? Yes,and eat back half. I am starting to think some people,like me, can't count daily activities as a burn. :frown: