Top tips based on my diary please?

Options
I've recently had a mfp friend suggest switching to spray oil to cut a lot of calories. Are there any other nifty little tips like that, that people can think of based on my diary? I'm making this a permenant lifestyle change so no faddy vegan/atkins style diet suggestions please! x

Replies

• JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You've obviously made a good start, and I am not an expert, but for what it's worth I'd say cut back on the processed, ready bought stuff. Tends to be more salt in that, which is supposed to be bad for weight loss. The more fresh and home prepped stuff, the better.
    Hope that helps. :smile:
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1) Cut out the pop/soda.
    2) Add veggies. Eat one BIG salad a day to start. Use mixed greens, tomatoes, broccoli (or broccoli slaw), carrots, peppers, radishes, etc. Fat free or low-fat/low sodium dressing. Thrown on a handful of beans.
    3) Add whole grains. Oatmeal, steel-cut oats, Bob's 7 grain cereal, etc.
    4) Your veggies are good - eat more.
    5) Cut back on processed foods. Make whole wheat pita sandwiches and stuff them with hummus and veggies. Buy broccoli and steam it with a little whole grain or rice pasta on the side.
    6) Add beans, legumes, etc.

You should know though that I'm one of those "faddy vegans" (who have been at it for 3 years, stabilized blood sugar, dropped cholesterol, overcome cancer) - so you may not want to listen to me. :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out the good fats. Olive oil is good for you and fats help suppress hunger.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1) Cut out the pop/soda.
    2) Add veggies. Eat one BIG salad a day to start. Use mixed greens, tomatoes, broccoli (or broccoli slaw), carrots, peppers, radishes, etc. Fat free or low-fat/low sodium dressing. Thrown on a handful of beans.
    5) Cut back on processed foods. Make whole wheat pita sandwiches and stuff them with hummus and veggies. Buy broccoli and steam it with a little whole grain or rice pasta on the side.

You should know though that I'm one of those "faddy vegans" (who have been at it for 3 years, stabilized blood sugar, dropped cholesterol, overcome cancer) - so you may not want to listen to me. :)
    I agree with this and am not a faddy vegetarian- there is quite a lot of processed food in your diary- especially breakfast cereal and sugar syrup hidden in some of your foods (selected 5 days food diaryto examine). Soya products are very heavily processed and can adversely affect female hormones and I was told to cut these out of my diet completely as they were causing fat storage on my tummy. A little more natural foods and omlette (protein breakfast) sometimes rather than carb will fill you up. Try sweet potato and zero yogurt unless you are intolerant to diary. Berries (fresh or frozen) are good too for filing power. Your diary looks quite good otherwise- at least you are eating breakfast!.

Feel free to add me to look at my diary and comment back for revenge!

Jasmin
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Stop eating bread. Eat eggs. Eat a salad every day to fill you up. Remove the sugars.
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice I didn't mean vegans and vegetarian's are faddy, I just meant I wouldn't keep to it so it'd be a faddy diet. Sorry if that seemed offensive, just meant I need a plan I'd to stick to. I'm going to work on those processed foods slowly, because I've cut out takeaways for the mean while, while I'm adjusting to new eating, because I don't want to end up craving the bad junk I used to eat. More vegetables and wholegrain I've noticed a lot, I'm going to up those tonight :D!

I'm lactose intolerant, I try introducing a bit of dairy here and there, but unfortunately it's the only soya alternative I've tried
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Cut out the instant noodles - swap them for rice noodles.
    Change the sunflower oil spray for olive oil spray or coconut oil
    Reduced sodium soy sauce
    Change the munch bunch yogurt for Greek yogurt - you can add your own fruit and different flavours to it
    Swap couscous for quinoa
    Track sodium and sugar
    White pitta for wholemeal
    Don't drink your calories (Fanta etc)
    Add some fruit

Feel free to check out my diary and give some back! :wink:
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    1) Cut out the pop/soda.

Thanks for your advice :). Sorry read my above comment I meant I wouldn't go vegan for a faddy diet, you're at it permemantly that's different, it's a lifestyle change which is good for you. I just love chicken too much to give it up, so it wouldn't really work. What should I swap my fizzy drinks for, I like the flavour that's the thing I'm not really a water girl unless I'm walking or at the gym. And well done for fighting that *kitten* cancer! I've tried to start eaten porridge, but I have to add loads of stuff to it and it makes it unhealthy, so I'm trying to work on that.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    drink at least 8 servings of water today. Looks like you drink around 2 or 3.
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    Cut out the instant noodles - swap them for rice noodles.
    Change the sunflower oil spray for olive oil spray or coconut oil
    Reduced sodium soy sauce
    Change the munch bunch yogurt for Greek yogurt - you can add your own fruit and different flavours to it
    Swap couscous for quinoa
    Track sodium and sugar
    White pitta for wholemeal
    Don't drink your calories (Fanta etc)
    Add some fruit

Feel free to check out my diary and give some back! :wink:

Your diary is flawless compared to mine. I never knew half the things you suggested existed next shop I'm stopping by this thread and writing it on my list :). Thank you, for all your help. The fizzy drinks help get me through my days in the library I'm hoping to find an alternative to water, water is kinda gross. I do have neglected apples that need eating too, looking at them isn't making me any healthier afterall. x
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think your diary doesn't look all that bad. Just a few minor changes - but - to be terribly honest, EVERYONE - ok not everyone, but many people have certain foods they keep in their menu because it's a minor adjustment that makes life livable. I.E, if it's something you really don't want to limit much, find a way to keep it in, in moderation.

That said, you could reduce your amount of oils if you wanted to - instead of 2 tblspns, go with one. The diet pop - primarily the concern I have with that, aside from the artificial sweeteners that I am trying to avoid - is that those sweeteners do tend to make you more hungry. i.e., the more artificially sweetened stuff you want, it seems to make you hungrier.

Really, as diaries go, yours is not horrid. If you want to find a way to trim corners, a lot of the advice already given is great!

Good Luck!
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Fruit juices could replace sodas.
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others said about eliminating the processed food. You look like you're on the right track though! If you're looking for a non-dairy soy alternative I would suggest almond milk; Silk makes a great unsweetened version that I LOVE. It's great for drinking, cereal, baking, etc.

Also I would recommend starting your day with a breakfast that's high in unprocessed whole grains or lean protein. It may help with your junk food cravings later in the day. I find that if I start my day with some sugary cereal or a muffin I'm more likely to reach for the same types of food later in the day. My favourite thing for breakfast is a bowl of plain rolled oats with some chopped apple, cinnamon, and a little bit of almond butter mixed in. Today I had Kashi 7 Grain Puffed Wheat cereal (no sugar or sodium!) with a banana and a bit of blueberries topped with some coconut and chia seeds. Hope that helps! :)
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    I think your diary doesn't look all that bad. Just a few minor changes - but - to be terribly honest, EVERYONE - ok not everyone, but many people have certain foods they keep in their menu because it's a minor adjustment that makes life livable. I.E, if it's something you really don't want to limit much, find a way to keep it in, in moderation.

That said, you could reduce your amount of oils if you wanted to - instead of 2 tblspns, go with one. The diet pop - primarily the concern I have with that, aside from the artificial sweeteners that I am trying to avoid - is that those sweeteners do tend to make you more hungry. i.e., the more artificially sweetened stuff you want, it seems to make you hungrier.

Really, as diaries go, yours is not horrid. If you want to find a way to trim corners, a lot of the advice already given is great!

Good Luck!

Aw thank you, it's just because I have some really sedentary days I'm looking to be able to stay within my calories for those. I will avoid the diet stuff then because I already have a ravenous hunger, it's how I ended up on here in the first place :). x
  • nicoliravioli
    Options
    If you are looking for a 'fizzy drink' replacement, try kombucha! It's a bit of an aquired taste, but I think it's yummy! There are all sorts of flavors out there, even more if you make your own. It's good for you, too! If you can't get into that, there's a drink called Izze and they have a low cal version called Izze-esque. That's around 60 cals for a bottle and doesn't have added sugar or other junk in it. Hope that might help :)
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    Fruit juices could replace sodas.

Awesome thank you, maybe I could bring a bottle of fruit juice and a bottle of water out with me to the library so I get healthier sugars and will be more likely to be less angry at the water. x
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    If you are looking for a 'fizzy drink' replacement, try kombucha! It's a bit of an aquired taste, but I think it's yummy! There are all sorts of flavors out there, even more if you make your own. It's good for you, too! If you can't get into that, there's a drink called Izze and they have a low cal version called Izze-esque. That's around 60 cals for a bottle and doesn't have added sugar or other junk in it. Hope that might help :)
    these replacements are all very helpful. I've been hooked on fizzy drinks/soda/pop sorrysince I was about 11 swapped from coke and dr pepper since startign this. So it'd be cool to find tastiness elsewhere. I'll be looking out for this too :)!
  • MoonyRose
    Options
    I agree with what the others said about eliminating the processed food. You look like you're on the right track though! If you're looking for a non-dairy soy alternative I would suggest almond milk; Silk makes a great unsweetened version that I LOVE. It's great for drinking, cereal, baking, etc.

Also I would recommend starting your day with a breakfast that's high in unprocessed whole grains or lean protein. It may help with your junk food cravings later in the day. I find that if I start my day with some sugary cereal or a muffin I'm more likely to reach for the same types of food later in the day. My favourite thing for breakfast is a bowl of plain rolled oats with some chopped apple, cinnamon, and a little bit of almond butter mixed in. Today I had Kashi 7 Grain Puffed Wheat cereal (no sugar or sodium!) with a banana and a bit of blueberries topped with some coconut and chia seeds. Hope that helps! :)

I have porridge oats but I didn't know what to do with it without a tonne of sugar (how my mum makes it). I shall try cinammon and apples tomorrow :)! I'm nearly out of soya milk so I shall give almond milk a whirl, see if it makes my belly go down a bit, if it is a hormonal thing. I do carry most of my weight around my mid drift. x
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options

That's almost my breakfast every day! Great minds........
    You can make yours with unsweetned apple juice instead of milk or even make it with water. Try lactose free milk.
    I add berries rather than apples, mountains of them in season- fills me up until lunchtime. Cinammon will add a sweet taste add until you get the taste you want. I have also been known to add a little honey (but that is still sugar). Juice with 'bits' has a lower sugar effect in the blood- so the whole fruit is better than juice.
    Otherwise eggs for breakfast (not in the cereal though!) are great fillers and can add tomatoes (low calorie).
    Another filler upper is soup and its a great way to get liquid. Take a large tin of tomato and liquidise with a dash of chili or some basil- its only 18 calories a bowl. I need filling power and when really hungry make a spicy root veg and brown rice, stick to ribs concrete mix. Love chicken too. casserole in cider, apple juice, tomato passata, tenderises and you won't be tempted to eat the skin as it isn't crisp but the chicken will be really tender. Use the juice (buy a separator to remove the fat) to make a sauce or soup next day.
    Don't like water? Confess I am not crazy either.....
    Try taking a freshly squeezed juice and adding soda. I add high 5 tablets to my water (no artificials) but gives fizz effect and I get two glasses down that way. I have learned to like soda water (make with water and Co2 only). I also add Angosdura bitters to soda to add extra taste. I also add rose water to fizzy water for a poor mans champagne. I also make ginger tea (I cheat with bags!) and can even drink it cold, it needs no milk. Almond milk is lovely with a dash of vanilla essence- taste like a milkshake and can make ices with it too.

Feeling the need for buscuits? Tin of unsweetened apple with porridge oats and cinamon (regulates blood sugar) spoon of honey and baked is just so filling and I can't manage more than two.

Well done for looking for strategies that will be permanent changes. Congrats on keeping your diary too.
    Any more recipes fellow travellers?

Strategies for the long term will win you the war.
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Adding club soda to 100% juice as a treat helped me get over my soda craving. It's really the carbonation I was after, and keeping little bottles of reduced sodium club soda in the pantry helps whenever that craving hits, so I mix a bottle with some minute maid pomegranate-blueberry juice (about 4 oz) and MMMM. Sweet as heck, fizzy, and because I don't use a full cup of juice, less sugar than soda and more nutrition (vitamin c, antioxidants, etc.)