FITBIT ULTRA & Calories

Options
I'm trying to understand this still, before I buy it...

When it logs your calorie burn each day & say you walked more then you thought you did. So it says you have 1,000 extra calories to eat for that day. Is that completely right or is that a glitch?

Also, if that happens, do you wear it during your workouts like say I'm doing Turbo Jam (& I am) would you wear it the full workout & log your exercise after. Or do you not wear the Fitbit & log as normal?

Final question guys- do you eat back every single calorie it gives you?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I wear the FitBit 24/7. I'd have to walk a marathon to get an extra 1,000 calories for the day! Some days I eat them back, some days I don't.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wear the FitBit 24/7. I'd have to walk a marathon to get an extra 1,000 calories for the day! Some days I eat them back, some days I don't.
    Thanks for the reply! :)
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. I've seen it give me as many as 600 extra calories in a day, and I know I was running around all day so that makes sense to me. I don't sync it everyday so I usually don't see the adjustment till almost a week later and so I don't eat those calories back. I usually will eat the calories I log from my HRM back though.
  • katyparish
    katyparish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband has it and LOVES it! He wears it 24/7, even when he's doing P90X. He gets back a lot of calories, it seems like. He logs both his P90X and his fitbit exercise ... he doesn't eat all his cals everyday and sometimes will go to bed with 800+ from the fitbit/P90x even though he has eaten a lot during the day. It seems to work for him.
  • BrettS1973
    BrettS1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and wear it 24/7 and love it. When you exercise you just press and hold the button on it at the start and finish and it records it as an activity when you sync that activity shows up, but you can edit it, give it a descriptive name, even edit the figures if you have more accurate data. Also have mine stnced with MFP and if you add an activity on MFP it checks the times and makes sure you don't double dip. Though MFP calorie data overwrites Fitibit data.

I don't generally eat my exercise calories back at the moment. But it does show you what it thinks you can eat back.

The activity monitor and pedometer are addictive and often make me eager to do that little bit more to reach a personal best or get an extra badge. I walk a lot at work too but some days I don't so it lets me see when I have had a lazy day and know I should do some more exercise to catch up etc.
  • sumeetn
    sumeetn Posts: 56
    Options

same here except i do not run a marathon :)
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brett. Record the exercise on the fitbit. Wear it all day so you can monitor your steps, it really does encourage you to take those extra steps. I work as a nurse and last night at about 23.50 I checked my steps and found I had walked around 9500 steps. I then did a few rounds of my ward (luckily my unit is circular) to make it up to 10000 steps. I hate doing just under so it keeps me motivated to move!
  • BrettS1973
    BrettS1973 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brett. Record the exercise on the fitbit. Wear it all day so you can monitor your steps, it really does encourage you to take those extra steps. I work as a nurse and last night at about 23.50 I checked my steps and found I had walked around 9500 steps. I then did a few rounds of my ward (luckily my unit is circular) to make it up to 10000 steps. I hate doing just under so it keeps me motivated to move!

This happens to me all the time. I try to make sure I do 10,000 a day minimum but even if its 10,500 I find myself wanting to do that extra 500 steps. Also has me eager to walk further, park the car further away from shops for some extra steps, I walk right around the houseyard when I g out to tie up the dogs or such, having a record of your efforts, for me at least, makes it seem much more worthwhile to do.
  • elbeets10
    Options
    Totally LOVE my Fitbit and would highly recommend!!!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    love my fitbit too i'd be lost without it!! I hadnt realised how active i was until i got it and one day last week i clocked up just under 24,000 steps in just one day!! I dont usually eat my exercise calories back but i know theyre there if i want to
  • julianatalie
    Options
    What is fitbit please, and where would I get one from?
    These sound good
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What is fitbit please, and where would I get one from?
    These sound good

Here you go:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/fitbit

I'm working my way towards one as a reward :)
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I have a fitbit and wear it 24/7 and love it. When you exercise you just press and hold the button on it at the start and finish and it records it as an activity when you sync that activity shows up, but you can edit it, give it a descriptive name, even edit the figures if you have more accurate data. Also have mine stnced with MFP and if you add an activity on MFP it checks the times and makes sure you don't double dip. Though MFP calorie data overwrites Fitibit data.

I don't generally eat my exercise calories back at the moment. But it does show you what it thinks you can eat back.

The activity monitor and pedometer are addictive and often make me eager to do that little bit more to reach a personal best or get an extra badge. I walk a lot at work too but some days I don't so it lets me see when I have had a lazy day and know I should do some more exercise to catch up etc.

DITTO..I just went to gym and did not have it on when doing elliptical. Then I put it on when leaving. I know it counts the steps but i just want actual steps on fitbit. Got replacement yesterday ..still not syncing with MFP:(
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Totally LOVE my Fitbit and would highly recommend!!!

D I T T O ! ! ! !
  • katyparish
    katyparish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One thing about the fitbit - my husband has one and loves it so have thought about getting one too. But I wear a lot of dresses (easier to chase a toddler and baby!) - is there a way to wear it with dresses? You know, aside from clipping it to my underwear ... :)
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    One thing about the fitbit - my husband has one and loves it so have thought about getting one too. But I wear a lot of dresses (easier to chase a toddler and baby!) - is there a way to wear it with dresses? You know, aside from clipping it to my underwear ... :)

I clip mine to that little space between my two bra cups...it works great! You can only see a LITTLE bulge if I'm wearing a form fitting shirt, other than that you can't tell.