I can't believe I'm doing this...

Options
Hi all,

Well... First of all, I shouldn't be here... lol.

I had a successful gastric bypass three years ago and, from 96kg, was down to 57kg... I'm NOT proud to say I'm at 76 right now and I really don't have a clue how did it happen. I won't lie: I eat a lot of crap and I used to drink a lot, so that's how it happened...

I've cut out all "home" alcohol (that is, that I won't buy anymore alcohol to drink home on my own nor in company) and I only allow myself to drink some fruity beer when I go out, which is very rare... :/

Regarding food, that's different: because of the bypass I can only eat very little. But what does this professional cheater do? I eat frequently... Too frequently. And of course, I never crave apples, if you know what I mean... :(

I NEED someone to watch over me, to shout at me, to be angry with me when I over eat... And I hope someone here can be "that" someone!! :D

I would love to go down to 60kgs and stay there, so, please, please, please, HELP ME!

Thanks,

Andrea

Replies

• tj40bear
    Options
    You are already ahead realizing you gotta do something! Just take each day one at a time, every calorie one by one! I started the weight loss game one year ago and am VERY proud to say I've lost 35 pounds:) This app helps so much and amazing friends cheering me on. Don't look back just keep going forward, cheesy I know but it's gets me going:) BTW my name is Tonia, good luck!
  • Andreake08
    Andreake08 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Tonia! :D

I just started yesterday with this and see? I already over ate today!! Yay, me... :'(
  • judygorham
    Options
    I also had a gastric bypass 19 years ago and I have gained my weight back,but I joined a weight loss clinic which has helped and I am back to my pal and I also need support someone to yell at me when my thinking is not good.
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    You have taken the first step to learning about healthy eating just by logging on here:smile: I too have issues with alcohol you will find when you are logging it that you will want to cut back!!! This is a great place for support. When I first logged in I thought this is useless if I have to be completely honest with myself and no one to check up me I am not going to do well. I quickly learned that just logging what I was eating and drinking daily was teaching me to eat right. My policy is if I am ashamed to log it then I shouldn't have ate it!!

Welcome to MFP!! Your first step to a healthier happier you!!! Feel free to add me!! I am not going to yell at you but I will help keep you accountable just like I hope you will for me!!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Tonia! :D

I just started yesterday with this and see? I already over ate today!! Yay, me... :'(

Day two of when I started (a while ago) I ate huge amount of chocolate cake :sick: I'm surprised I didn't give up right then. Just do your best. If I can manage this then anyone can. My diary today is awful BUT I'm taking steps to fix it (I have biscuit poisoning :laugh: ) and one day will not make me give up, or I'd never have lost the 40lbs so far.
  • Andreake08
    Options
    Thanks to all of you... My excuse is I have kids... So what does it mean? Candy and cookies... Plus night visits to "that" cabinet... :'(
  • sc0ttie
    sc0ttie Posts: 29
    Options
    Candy and cookies are unhealthy for the kids too.....

Get the junk food out of the house replace it with healthy snacks. That way you can get your kids on a great start to a healthy lifestyle too!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Get the junk food out of the house replace it with healthy snacks. That way you can get your kids on a great start to a healthy lifestyle too!

Love it!
  • sensored44
    sensored44 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tonia..

I have only been here a week and here's what I learned so far...

- You would be amazed at your own accountability when you start to categorically enter everything you eat (promise yourself... every thing HAS to be tracked)
    - Adding exercises actually make you want to do it again, it's an uplifting thing to be able to record and measure.. "I did that..
    - People here are really supportive, don't be afraid to ask for friends in a post or just start clicking on names of those with similar circumstances or philosophies and requesting friends...
    - Treat yourself with kindness and compassion. Yelling at oneself is counter intuitive, you are better off being curious about your reasons why and just start to query your motives when you eat...

Good Luck, and friend me if you like!

Teri
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone telling you to throw out the junk food. If you force yourself to eat raw veggies as a snack, your body and taste buds will adjust and realize how good these things make you feel, and you will crave them. It happened to me, and many of my friends. Be patient, toss the junk, keep good things available for when you want to snack.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options

^
    ^
    This !

If the problem is sugar/baked goods ..... GET RID OF THEM ..... detox from that stuff, otherwise nothing ever changes ......

(You can friend me if you'd like :flowerforyou: )
  • Andreake08
    Options
    Candy I'm safe from... I have my sugarfree chewing gum... :)

Cookies? That's another story... I should get rid of them, but I should also learn to live with them and not succumb... No? *is lost*
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

Cookies? That's another story... I should get rid of them, but I should also learn to live with them and not succumb... No? *is lost*

To start with, since they are a weakness, toss 'em. Keep them out of the house. Make a cookie a "once in a while treat" that you get when you go out, so you can't succumb to eating an entire box even if you wanted to, because a whole box isn't available.
  • Ang_Quark
    Options

To start with, since they are a weakness, toss 'em. Keep them out of the house. Make a cookie a "once in a while treat" that you get when you go out, so you can't succumb to eating an entire box even if you wanted to, because a whole box isn't available.

This right here! I'm a stress baker, and personally, I never go out and buy something sweet that I can just bake myself. That way, you get the exercise of having to make what you eat, and more intimate knowledge of what you're eating.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Bless you, I really feel for you and can understand that panic that you probably feel when you feel that your control is slipping away and the scales are moving in the wrong direction. However, keep positive! You have taken action NOW, right now by joining this amazingly supportive website. You CAN regain your control, all is not yet lost; it is never too late. If you do 'fail' one day, or one moment, forget it. Just put it behind you and start again. It is not an all or nothing thing that we are doing; every minute of every day we are just trying very hard to do our very best. If you slip up, be kind to yourself so you don't then go on a downward spiral, remind yourself that we all err at times and then just get back on track. You have taken the first step already so well done and just keep on taking those baby steps with all of us to support you. All the very best with your weight loss journey xxx
  • Cristy4Hannah
    Cristy4Hannah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart! You, like the rest of us, just took the 1st step....Asking for help...I will pledge to yell at you for eating bad, frequent things if you promise to do the same with me....:flowerforyou:
  • DRNESTER
    DRNESTER Posts: 32
    Options
    WELCOME!!! Im pretty good with helping ppl stay accountable...add me if youd like. =) We can help eachother
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you were an alcoholic or a heroin addict would you keep it in the house just to test yourself to see if you'll fail? NO!! Of course not!!! So ditch the cookies...

The problem with the surgery for weight loss is that people never really learn to deal with the root causes of their overeating. It sounds like you are doing your best to fix that now, and that is a huge part of the battle. You'll do great. Just log everything that crosses your lips and you will see your own patterns and what you need to change. You can do it!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You are not the only person in the world that has gained weight after gastric bypass. I had it 6 years ago and had initially lost 160 lbs. I ended up gaining back 60 of those. I joined MFP in January and have now lost those 60 plus more. I still have about 55 lbs to go to my goal weight. Nobody is perfect and we all mess up. At least you are working at it again. Good luck.
  • aidsmith
    aidsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Andrea

Healthy eating begins in the supermarket; if you don't buy the candy and biscuits then you won't be tempted by them at home. I have no willpower at home, if there's rubbish in the cupboard I'll eat it, but in the supermarket I don't even go down the biscuit aisle.

Your kids don't need to eat rubbish and neither do you. Save the money for a day out with them.