How do i make my tuna sandwich?

Options
13»

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of Miracle Whip, mustard (you could do something like jalapeno mustard), and some dill relish. Delicious.
  • saamantha
    Options
    instead of mayo I use plain low fat Greek yogurt. Tastes good and adds protein...win win!

This! And if I want less of a Greek yogurt taste and I still want moist tuna, I'll chop up some cucumber, onion and tomato and add those :) I also don't usually use bread, but I'll spread it on some Wasa instead. Silver Hills Little Big Bread is also really great, and 110 cals for 2 slices.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd mix it with some low fat mayo, but today I tried it mixed with 2tbsp Boathouse Farms ranch dressing (made with yogurt and only 45 cal for 2tbsp, a lifesaver since I live off ranch) and it was awesome. Unfortunately, I tried it on some Ezekiel bread from Trader Joe's I decided to try and I really didn't like the bread, back to Nature's Own multi graine 100 calorie rounds and 90 calorie flat outs!

I also like to add avocado to my tuna, but I didn't have any ripe ones today :(
  • tarch333
    tarch333 Posts: 26
    Options
    I get rid of the bread completely which usually cuts out 120 cals a slice (not to mention all those nasty carbs that make me feel bloated and take ages to burn!)

Instead I cut up a load of lettuce, fresh tomatoes, a load of cucumber and some sweetcorn (not in sweet water) and then I mix half a tin of tuna with either salad cream or cream cheese ( they contain a lot less calories than mayo and, in particular, the cream cheese tastes great!). Spread the tuna over the salad and top with a small amount of low fat cheddar!

If your salad is fresh enough then you shouldn't have to add any dressing but, if you do, then I suggest a light topping of Heinz 30%/70% less fat salad cream.

If this fails, have some tuna on Ryvita Crackerbreads with some pepper and some sweetcorn. The crackerbreads contain something very simple like 19cals a slice and are full of fibre! Again, I mix the tuna with salad cream or cream cheese to keep the calories down :)

Oily fish is brilliant for a diet so try lots of other fish like salmon, mackerel or herring :)
  • CatholicUK
    CatholicUK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In a calorie-lite wrap for a start! That takes off 100cals!

Then load it with a bit of ripped lettuce, cucumber, chopped up tomato, layer my tuna on, good squirt of almost fat-free mayo and a sprinkling of sweetcorn. 180cals and ultra filling. Get in there.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Usually i make it with a boiled egg , mayo , and tuna and toasted bread. is that ok or what because i want tuna but i dont know how t dress it "healthy" , help?

its not my recipe, but I love what you have in yours. I use, tuna in water, a bit of miricle whip (about 1/2 the calories of mayo) red onion and sweet pickles on toasted bread, I prefer rye. I have for the last few days been craving tuna in oil with a bit of salt. I will have to check out the calorie/fat count. and probably choose something better. lol
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I go with tuna, dijon mustard, chipotle salsa, diced jalapenos, and light mayo. Ideally on toasted whole wheat bread.
  • dleithaus
    dleithaus Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Capers, chopped green or calamata olives, mustard. If a boost in flavor or calories is desired, some olive oil.
  • grits317
    grits317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I mix my tuna with a wedge of laughing cow cheese for only 36 calories.
  • mariieexo
    Options
    I make mine with 2 oz. tuna (half the can), 1 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt, salt & pepper to taste, and sometimes chopped cucumbers.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I mix my tuna with finely diced red onion, sweetcorn, black pepper and harissa paste (the one I use is just spiced chilli paste - no sweet/bell peppers) instead of mayo.

I am liking the idea of the laughing cow cheese triangle though, on top of the above of course :bigsmile:
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Cooking light has a tuna melt that is wonderful. It is openfaced,in addition to tuna uses walnuts,cheese and chickpeas and is still 231 calories. If you google Cooking LIght Tuna Melt it should come up. I saw it was the second one listed.

I also sometimes will use a light salad dressing like ranch or italian, mixed with the tuna,adding spices as needed.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I use half of an avocado instead of mayonnaise ^^.

THIS!
  • haleyyh3
    haleyyh3 Posts: 14
    Options
    Add a little mustard for a great taste and apple. great idea never thought about the runny egg, love it
  • abstrakt_star
    abstrakt_star Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Best Tuna Sandwich Ever.

All white albacore tuna (strained and drained)
    A tbsp of light mayo
    A little bit of salt and white pepper
    toasted whole grain bread
    shredded lettuce
    tomato
    red onion
    oregano
    and top it off with a spritz of olive oil and red wine vinegar

I promise you will never make your tuna any other way!

Oh, it's only 250 calories.