what should I do? went over my calories today!

Options

Replies

• Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    The first thing you should do is panic.

When the panic subsides, you should figure out how many carbs you ate and then write a post about how they make you fat.

Once you're done with that, you should start to feel some guilt. You should beat yourself up over it repeatedly, because self-abuse is the only way you're going to get through this terrible, terrible ordeal.

Joking aside, RELAX! It's seriously not a big deal. Learn from it, move on, tomorrow is a new day. No need to overcompensate, just get back to your diet tomorrow.

This made me laugh!!
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options

When the panic subsides, you should figure out how many carbs you ate and then write a post about how they make you fat.

Once you're done with that, you should start to feel some guilt. You should beat yourself up over it repeatedly, because self-abuse is the only way you're going to get through this terrible, terrible ordeal.

Joking aside, RELAX! It's seriously not a big deal. Learn from it, move on, tomorrow is a new day. No need to overcompensate, just get back to your diet tomorrow.

Damnit, And here I was thinking I did the right thing yesterday, you tricky sonuvagun!
  • juli_jones
    juli_jones Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    have a high day once in a while can sometimes boost your matabolism, don't stress it....it might be a good thing by reminding your body it IS being fed
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Eat 170 less per day for the next six days
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could burn an extra 100 calories per day for the next 10 days or eat 100 calories less than you would normally for the next 10 days? Or just consider it a reward for your hard work (cue the "Do Not Reward Yourself With Food - You Are Not a Dog" pic).
  • Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    Cut off a limb. And be quick about it.
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    Okay. I didn't mean to sound like I was going crazy! I wasn't asking for sarcasm-i was more or less asking how I could make up for having a "cheat day" today-this is only my second week trying to change my lifestyle so I wasn't sure if I should be cutting my calories for the week or not.....

I was only surprised to find I had gone over my calories as I didn't track until I got home-thought I did pretty good only to find I had gone over so much. But thank you everyone for the input I now see that's its not a big deal.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would try to make it a zero day (no gain or loss). For example: If I need 2000 calories to maintain my weight and mfp states I should eat 1200 calories to lose, I would ignore the 1200 calorie recommendation and try to exercise to get to my 2000 calories. I would rather be stagnant for a day than take a step back.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    An occasional cheat day isn't a problem. Just don't do it too regularly!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Log it as normal at least knowing what you've gone over by means you are still in control. You can make up for it by exercising a little extra x
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I ate almost 2,000 calories over maintenance today...

... and I ain't doin' anything about it. I've learned not to stress about these things. I'll wheel a ton of miles tomorrow and burn most of it off, perhaps, but if I don't it's not the end of the world.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Okay. I didn't mean to sound like I was going crazy! I wasn't asking for sarcasm-i was more or less asking how I could make up for having a "cheat day" today-this is only my second week trying to change my lifestyle so I wasn't sure if I should be cutting my calories for the week or not.....

I was only surprised to find I had gone over my calories as I didn't track until I got home-thought I did pretty good only to find I had gone over so much. But thank you everyone for the input I now see that's its not a big deal.

I would advise against over-compensating by reducing calories later in the week. Just pretend it didn't happen and move on.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    An occasional cheat day isn't a problem. Just don't do it too regularly!

This^
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a new day :-) Learn from today and move on.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options

I would advise against over-compensating by reducing calories later in the week. Just pretend it didn't happen and move on.
    :drinker:
  • angieread
    angieread Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    GREAT that you still tracked your calories. It's way too easy to simply stop logging on an 'off day' - but you'll always win when you're honest with yourself. And somehow, the act of logging (paying attention to what you're eating and taking responsibility for it) helps you lose more weight in the long run, even when you think you've failed on one given day. Over time, you'll lose!
  • sierrajade2012
    Options

Okay, thank you:)
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Take a nice relaxing walk. Think about the good time you had today and how nice it was to see your loved ones. Then go to bed and have sweet dreams. Tomorrow is another day and going over today is no big deal.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Nah. Just start over tomorrow. It's just a day, and they happen. :smile: