What helps YOU battle late night cravings??

Options

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Sleep...I get up too early when I'm working to be up late at night...there's just not enough time for me to binge lol
  • Karen98100
    Options
    I eat dinner late and it's my largest meal usually.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Celery dipped in mustard... When you just have to eat a huge amount of food
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the same habit. What's worse is that I need a savory and a sweet snack. I plan for it, though. Ill have 2 slices of low sodium turkey or reduced fat cheese. Then a nature valley granola thin (80 calories) or fiber one brownie (90 calories) with the workout calories I've earned. It pushes me to work out. :)
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    A cup of hot green tea. This way it takes a while to drink it. I have something warm in my hands and it seems to satisfy the urge to eat long enough to forget it.

THIS. Also, doing something with my husband. A small piece of dark mint chocolate. Getting my hands busy with something - internet, book, knitting, etc. If all else fails, take some melatonin and got to bed. haha
  • lilidrew
    Options
    We tend to have supper a little later than I'd like, so that helps. I rarely go over on the caloric goal for the day. When I do get munchies, I try chewing gum. Lately, I've been drinking tea. It also helps me to get my water in. I'm just not thirsty!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have a big bowl of crunchy ice. Helps with the crunchy cravings! I buy a bag of ice from Sonic every Monday morning and eat on it all week at work. Keeps me from the snack machines.

Don't tell your dentist you are doing this. Or maybe he will be happy at all the dental work you will eventually need. Eating ice is terrible on the teeth.
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    brush my teeth, works like a charm.

this too! and put in my retainer. haha
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have issues with the late night muchies as well. I like sweets and sometimes a Dr. Pepper Bold (10 cal) will do the trick. I also tend to go to bed early.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I used to be a huge late night binger. I like all these answers. Like Magerum, I plan for night time eating. Because I hate reporting my food over my calorie goal, I somehow have not been tempted to overeat since I have been here at MFP. This web site and all of you are helping me tremendously!

I'm the same. I rarely plan my meals unless I know I'm going out or the such but I'm almost embarrassed to go over limit, so I don't. That and I've found that since my diet started, I've had less cravings. Still do go to bed hungry though.
  • Watermelon_Crush
    Watermelon_Crush Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Brushing my teeth....it might just be because I don't like the taste of toothpaste, but it puts me right off LOL
  • Naples6020
    Options
    I save some calories for just this problem. I will have a couple of low fat graham crackers or a soft pretzel. Depending on the amount of calories left, I some time put a teaspoon of peanut butter on my crackers.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    i just ask myself if I'm actually hungry. If I'm hungry and I've eaten my calories for the day, then I'm allowed to have some veggies. If I don't want the veggies, then I wasn't actually hungry.

If I just "want" something, I figure out how to work into tomorrow. And then 9 times out of 10, I don't want it that day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Saving calories for a late night snack. =)
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    smiling at how many of us answered the same especially the "brush my teeth" yes indeed that does work! Tonight I am drinking Crystal Light Pink Lemonade to get that sweet crave but zero everything. Other times I too drink water. Or if it has been a good day I will eat a light snack like peanut butter and apple - protein and carb and tastes good together, really.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Planning all of my meals and snacks and liquids for the day really helps. If I do get the night time (they are usually boredom or emotional munchies for me at night) cravings I make sure to have some veggies, popcorn or some fruit available.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Planning for it and eating is how I deal with night time eating cravings.

^This. I save calories especially for my night time snacks. My body is hungry then - why wouldn't I feed it??
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    You're probably not hungry, but just bored.

Drink Water.

Casein protein- takes longer to process.
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a big bowl of crunchy ice. Helps with the crunchy cravings! I buy a bag of ice from Sonic every Monday morning and eat on it all week at work. Keeps me from the snack machines.

Don't tell your dentist you are doing this. Or maybe he will be happy at all the dental work you will eventually need. Eating ice is terrible on the teeth.

I use to do this all the time, I even craved it. Make sure you are not anemic.
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I changed my diet, 40g carbs a day mainly veg, gave up sugar, so no low fat products as the removed fat is replaced by sugar, my meals are slightly smaller but my cravings have disappeared.... Moore to the point though is I am not yo yoing any more &weight finally shifting