Self Perception

Options
So I've noticed an interesting thing...

When I started at MFP I was 151 lbs. :blushing: I always made excuses to myself saying I was big busted, and a lot of weight was due to that, or I'm big boned.

I was never really being honest with myself, because in all photos, I looked bigger than I thought I was; but the whole "the camera adds 10 lbs" adage was always in the back of my mind, right?
So now that I've lost 15 lbs, I look back at myself and see what I denied all along.
I'm excited to see who I am now - and not because I hated who I was before, just that my image didn't fit my perception.

My body is becoming congruent to my mind's image of myself...
It feels good to be happy with myself, I hope it continues...

Replies

• Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So I've noticed an interesting thing...

When I started at MFP I was 151 lbs. :blushing: I always made excuses to myself saying I was big busted, and a lot of weight was due to that, or I'm big boned.

I was never really being honest with myself, because in all photos, I looked bigger than I thought I was; but the whole "the camera adds 10 lbs" adage was always in the back of my mind, right?
    So now that I've lost 15 lbs, I look back at myself and see what I denied all along.
    I'm excited to see who I am now - and not because I hated who I was before, just that my image didn't fit my perception.

My body is becoming congruent to my mind's image of myself...
    It feels good to be happy with myself, I hope it continues...
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    Good for you girl!

I had kind of the opposite problem. My self esteem was so low and I looked at myself and saw this outrageously huge person. Now that I've got a little more confidence, I look back and think "wow, it really wasn't that bad.."

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely happier with my weight now and will be continuing, it's just nice to realize that I wasn't what i thought I was and now I'm even better.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, I look in the mirror and I think to myself, THERE I am... Like I was hiding before or something.
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good for you :happy:
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I see what your talking about. It was hard going over to Iraq, losing a crap load of weight from heat, working 18 hours days everyday, and just crappy food. I couldn't believe how different I looked when I looked in the mirror in my hotel in Kuwait! My fiance barely recognized me. My fiance was going through some of my pictures from Iraq and also some of the engagement pics we took a few months ago ( my biggest) and it was like I actually looked attractive even in the dessert, in camo, filthy, sweaty. I am probally my worst critic but its true. I keep telling my fiance I need to go back over seas just to get back to a good weight ( she cooks so dam good! ) but don't want to to be honest, oh well.

I think I am looking a little better being im 22 pounds lighter now but honestly I can't really tell. Maybe because im a guy, no ones noticed that I'm cutting weight but maybe thats because I see them everyday 12 hours a day so they don't notice, what they do notice is that Im eating rabbit food as they put it. I tell them Im trying to make my rabbit disappear.

Keep at it, its a great feeling finding a new you!:bigsmile:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i had the same experience we blame the clothes we blame everything but what is the truth then you feel SOOOOOOOOO much better about yourself when it begins to drop!!!! Congrats on the new lite it will shine brighter!!!!