Brown Rice

Options
I'm going to be making brown rice to go with dinner tonight. What is a good way to make it taste good?

Replies

• MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I've tried several recipes and this one seems to work the best. I find that I have to steam it for a little longer than recommended though (maybe 5 extra minutes).

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Perfect-Brown-Rice
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I actually like it plain! It has a great nutty sort of flavor.

Have you had brown rice before or is this your first time eating it? If it's your first time, see how you like its taste before you doctor it up. You might like it!
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    First time. I'm more concerned about my husband and my 3 year old liking it more than me liking it.
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much success making it at home myself. However, I do like the 365 store brand brown rice at Whole Foods. It comes in the freezer section and you just have to stick it in the microwave. Other than that I get it steamed at the chinese restaurant. Good luck with whichever recipe you choose.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    As far as fixing it up, you can use it like white rice... it definitely has a different texture and slightly different flavor. I'm crazy for it. I often put some chopped purple onions and tomatoes on top of a bed of brown rice, and lay some avocado slices on top of that.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Hmmm... thought I would get more suggestions than this. Oh well. Thanks everyone who did!!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I try to add other veges to my rice (white or brown) - like onion, peas or other mixed vegetable. I think rice plain is not as enticing as when you consider it a filler for other vegetables.
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I mix in salsa and black beans to make mexican rice.

I will mix in fried eggs, edamame, and some steamed veggies with some soy sauce and sesame oil for fried rice.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    Soup stock really goes well with it...just look out for the sodium....wish I had more suggestions but I'm a plain Jane when it comes to cooking :smile:
  • asmith9
    asmith9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I put a chicken bullion cube in the water while I wait for it to boil. I know it adds a bit of sodium, but it also adds a nice flavor to the brown rice.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    At my house we usually mix in chopped roasted red peppers and small sweet peas, which is awesome but the other night we had no peas so my bf put a little spaghetti sauce in and his words "that was the best rice I ever ate" lol :)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Why's it always gotta be brown rice?
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Try it with some egg, salsa, maybe a little cheese and sour cream? One of my routine (and favorite) meals now is two cups of brown rice and five ounces of ground turkey two hours before practice. Very filling, but incredibly light on the stomach!
  • southofreason
    southofreason Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/924877/master-recipe-brown-rice
    Martha Stewart had an article this month about how to make brown rice -- haven't tried it yet, but wanted to share.
  • kariberi84
    Options

I eat white rice too... just looking for a little change. :tongue:
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Good question.

I did a comparison of the nutritional values of white rice, brown rice, and wild rice, and they are amazingly similar.

I do like the flavor of wild rice sometimes, but most of the time, I just use white rice for the convenience.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Try adding garlic, onion, celery or other veggies. You can also add nuts and or raisins or other dried fruit. Soy sauce is good too. The sky is limit. Brown rice is good no matter how you make it. YUM!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You can substitute chicken or vegetable stock for the water. Use low sodium stock if it's a concern.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is so much tastier than white rice and it has a great texture when done right. I always messed it up until I read a recipe online a while back that really makes it turn out perfect every time.

What I do is fill up a pot of lightly salted water and bring it to a boil (don't add salt if you are on a low sodium plan, but I find that if I salt the water, I can eat the rice plain and it's delicious!) Then add the rice and boil it as if you are cooking pasta. Make sure there's plenty of water, just as you would with pasta. Stir it every once in a while and within 30-40 minutes (depending on type and amount - just keep checking) the rice will seem almost, but not quite, done. At this point, turn off the heat and dump the rice in a strainer - don't rinse it - and drain for a few seconds. Put the rice back in the pot with the heat still turned OFF. Put a tight-fitting lid on top and let it continue to steam for 5-15 more minutes until it's done.

This method has worked perfectly for me every time. If I cook brown rice like regular white rice it always turns out disappointing.
  • Ddmck1
    Ddmck1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It took me forever to get brown rice right. The trick is not to let it absorb the water like white rice but to cook it like pasta. Boil it then drain.

First - Rinse rice in COLD water
    Second - Boil continuously for 20-30 minutes (cook times vary)
    Third - Use a mesh colander to drain water (some colanders have big holes that are not good for draining rice)