This is why we shouldn't even have it in the house...

Options

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    food IS fun i agree, i love cooking up a delicious meal and enjoying it. obviously i didnt come up with the phrase so i cant tell you how it came about, but i do agree with it. i'm not telling the OP she HAS TO agree with it, but it was something that helped me personally overcome my binges. and trust me i love my cheat meals here and there they help keep me sane. but i dont bust my *kitten* in a workout and then "reward" myself with a cupcake or three afterwards because i think i earned it. i try to load up with a nutritious meal afterwards so i can feel good about what i just did instead of guilty later on for indulging probably more than i needed to.
    I asked if you could explain the phrase. You haven't.

because you train a dog with food. there. happy?
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I even did a Wii Fit free run for 30 minutes - and rewarded myself with a cupcake...

Not the best way to reward yourself. I say eat* A cupcake or A cookie and give the rest away....no one to give them to? The trash accepts any and all donations! :)

And no, I don't believe in wasting food, but better in the trash than on my body!
  • jdcoop79
    jdcoop79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My other catch-phrase that helps me is from Ghostbusters II of all things "It's time to practice a little thing we big boys like to call, self-control."

I think each individual needs to decide for themselves what their triggers are....much like you wouldn't give an alcoholic one glass of wine (because only one won't hurt), I personally can't have just one little softbaked cookie without wanting to eat the whole package. That's where the catchphrase comes in. Go ahead, have that cookie if it fits in your "budget" but the catchphrase could help "addicts" like me who have a hard time stopping. I'm hopeful that someday I'll be able to have this stuff in the house and enjoy a little something without over indulging, but for now it's all about understanding my limits.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    something that helped me realize i needed to look at food as fuel not a rewards was this saying. "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog!"

I think it's a great thing to say to yourself. Thanks :-)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    something that helped me realize i needed to look at food as fuel not a rewards was this saying. "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog!"
    Can someone explain to me why rewarding yourself with food has ANYTHING to do with being a dog? I hate this phrase. Food is fun to eat. If it was just fuel we would all eat bland gruel loaded with vitamin pills. We should learn to enjoy food and fit that into a healthy lifestyle.

You have obviously never had a dog. You train them with food treats. You sit, get a treat.. stay.. get a treat.. *kitten* in the yard, get a treat... so on and so on and so on.. it's called learned behavior and yes it works with humans too.
    Jesus, I know dogs are trained with food. I also know that all animals including humans enjoy tasty food. If you all want to pretend like you don't, please feel free.
    Ruth, I don't think you were listening or you are choosing to be confrontational. The concept of a dog getting a treat is not far off from what people do to justify unhealthy food as a reward for doing something they have to make a conscience effort to perform ( be it exercise or a good behavior).
  • psink
    psink Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Put it all behind you and start fresh again tomorrow. Don't kick yourself. Sugar truly is an addiction and slowly eliminate it and after awhile you wont even miss it. Its a daily struggle like any addiction but like I said--tomorrow is a new day!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Saying food is strictly fuel is like saying sex is strictly for procreation. I don't get those people. My goal here is to learn to eat ice cream in moderation, not ban it altogether. What a sad life that would be...

yup.

I had a fantastic workout today. after, I knew I had the room for a treat. so I got a 24-ounce mtn dew. and it was awesome. oh, I added a strawberry shortcake frosty parfait from wendy's. :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options

Great idea! I try not to do that, but telling myself that will definitely help!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why rewarding yourself with food has ANYTHING to do with being a dog? I hate this phrase. Food is fun to eat. If it was just fuel we would all eat bland gruel loaded with vitamin pills. We should learn to enjoy food and fit that into a healthy lifestyle.

THis mentality is why the majority is on MFP in the first place.. Food is just a fuel source, True fun is taking your shirt off and not feeling ashamed.... Thats ok though you can eat your ice cream, I will eat my fuel.
    I eat my ice cream and still maintain a healthy weight, but you have fun eating tasteless crap and thinking that food isn't for enjoyment.

I have to disagree, none of the food that I consume is tasteless crap as you refer to it... I baked healthy breads (banana nut bread, pumpkin nut bread, zucchini nut bread) for my Breakfast meals. I eat Beef, Chicken, and Pork, etc.... Prepare Crock pot stews and soups, and casseroles... Eat salads and veggies,..... Cook on the Grill all the time... The point is I eat good healthy food but I choose to look at this food as fuel for my body. I have a daily caloric intake and Macro's that I must hit to sustain my body for daily functions as well as my exercise to build muscle and cut fat (not at the same time). I just choose not to look at food as any kind of a reward in my life, it has become more of a function I do to sustain life... Probably why I am 311 lbs. lighter today... I mean know disrespect that is just my view on food now... Best of Luck
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I even did a Wii Fit free run for 30 minutes - and rewarded myself with a cupcake...

Not the best way to reward yourself. I say eat* A cupcake or A cookie and give the rest away....no one to give them to? The trash accepts any and all donations! :)

And no, I don't believe in wasting food, but better in the trash than on my body!

I need to learn to do that. It feels wrong throwing it away! But I have that mentality of eating it all at once so it's not there to be eaten later. We don't usually have junk in the house because I can't handle it. I have no will power. It's embarrassing, really.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options

THis mentality is why the majority is on MFP in the first place.. Food is just a fuel source, True fun is taking your shirt off and not feeling ashamed.... Thats ok though you can eat your ice cream, I will eat my fuel.
    I eat my ice cream and still maintain a healthy weight, but you have fun eating tasteless crap and thinking that food isn't for enjoyment.

I am as confused as you are. I do not usually reward myself with food though. I usually get myself something... like 2 new pairs of capris (on clearance) cause all my clothes fell off. Food is because I WANT IT! If I want a candy bar and I have eaten fairly good that day, by the gods, I have it. I try to compromise and make my indulgences healthier, but I am with you. I don't understand the "dont reward yourself with food bit." If I worked really hard and I have the calories for something really insane, I have it. That is all. LOL
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

Love this, great way to look at it!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

You know, it is possible to fuel your body deliciously. The nectarine I ate today was amazing!
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm the same way once I start I can't stop so we don't have anything sweet in the house. I even was on my you know TOM and I was craving chocolate so bad I knew if I even had one taste I would go all willy wonka and eat the whole factory. So I resisted yay! We are addicts it's ok if you slip up as long as you recognize it and get back to doing what's best for you.
  • fritz_gomromper
    Options
    I have learned that I cannot have cheddar cheese in my house. So I don't buy it, which is how I avoid eating it. Really simple.

p.s. Regarding some nasty-grams posted above (and you know who you are), BEING A NICE PERSON IS SEXY!!! Try it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

Saying food is strictly fuel is like saying sex is strictly for procreation. I don't get those people. My goal here is to learn to eat ice cream in moderation, not ban it altogether. What a sad life that would be...

Agreed. I eat whatever I want. I just eat reasonable portions. Food is a pleasure and having a good relationship with food is nothing to be ashamed of. But I am not a food addict, so I don't know what it feels like to be one. If it helps you control your addiction, then by all means put a ban on trigger foods. But I think putting yourself in the mindset of never enjoying - or even fearing - food is really sad.
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options

I completely agree. Food is fun and awesome and should be enjoyed for it's own sake as far as I'm concerned. The strict food = fuel thing does not work for me. It's cold and joyless. Food IS fuel but it's also a source of pleasure, and this is OK! Personally, I take pleasure in the tastes and textures and interesting combinations of "healthy" foods as much or more, if they're prepared well, as anything else. I will take a fresh peach over a twinkie any day. For me part of the pleasure of food comes from knowing it is nourishing me. When I eat well I feel a deeper pleasure than the kind of momentary buzz a donut offers. The trick for me is to figure out how to prepare foods that both excite and nourish me. This might involve retraining your taste buds, but healthier choices can be just as pleasureful and satisfying as junk foods.

The dog thing, well, I think the point is that we give dogs food as a reward for good behaviour. If we think of food that way for ourselves we're setting ourselves up for self-sabotage because if a run earns you a cupcake, well, that can easily become a problem. If your relationship with food is oriented around transgression and guilt, eating junk as a reward than punishing yourself for it with a run, well it's hard to take care of yourself when that's how you frame things. You're always just bouncing back and forth between reward and punishment instead of sidestepping the whole mess and reframing how you relate to food in the first place. Treating your body with love and care and nourishing yourself with nutritious food you enjoy can a pleasure in itself, not a punishment.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My other catch-phrase that helps me is from Ghostbusters II of all things "It's time to practice a little thing we big boys like to call, self-control."

I think each individual needs to decide for themselves what their triggers are....much like you wouldn't give an alcoholic one glass of wine (because only one won't hurt), I personally can't have just one little softbaked cookie without wanting to eat the whole package. That's where the catchphrase comes in. Go ahead, have that cookie if it fits in your "budget" but the catchphrase could help "addicts" like me who have a hard time stopping. I'm hopeful that someday I'll be able to have this stuff in the house and enjoy a little something without over indulging, but for now it's all about understanding my limits.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, this. If I buy any junk that I like, I have been making sure to have it when there are plenty other people around to share with. One piece for me, everyone else gets a piece and viola gone!
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion... and by no means does anyone have to adapt or take it on....

I was surprised reading the words " tasteless crap" when referring to healthy choice foods. That really saddened me to see that. On MFP, there are people from all walks of life, we've all grown up differently, and many of our diets growing up and to the present have been detrimental to our health in some way or else we would not be here. (This does not apply to those who are fit and tracking).

For myself, food is my fuel, and that is the truth. I eat Clean (cert.organic), Whole (one ingredient items, everything made from scratch so I know what is in it) Foods and my entire eating habits, cravings and life has been changed by doing this.

I read above the comments about cup cakes, mountain dew, and dairy queen and all I can see is those are things that were hindering ME from true freedom. I had to cut out the processed, pre-packaged foods as much as possible.. and when I did, my cravings left me completely. I sat in front of fudge-O's today, my absolute fave cookie.... Not only did I not care (and no, I wasn't convincing myself, I genuinely didn't care) but I also couldn't wait to enjoy my own Clean Whole treats when I got home... Nothing was worth that cookie, my health & my family are not worth that stupid cookie. I am worth this good food, I eat like a queen, and I've never enjoyed such delicious wholesome food in my life.

My name is Rachael and I am an addict. Sugar had a hold on me, and I had to kick it's Ace out the door.

Remember, we all have our own opinions to everything and I respect yours just as I'd hope you respect what I did for ME. :)
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    Just my opinion... and by no means does anyone have to adapt or take it on....

I was surprised reading the words " tasteless crap" when referring to healthy choice foods. That really saddened me to see that. On MFP, there are people from all walks of life, we've all grown up differently, and many of our diets growing up and to the present have been detrimental to our health in some way or else we would not be here. (This does not apply to those who are fit and tracking).

For myself, food is my fuel, and that is the truth. I eat Clean (cert.organic), Whole (one ingredient items, everything made from scratch so I know what is in it) Foods and my entire eating habits, cravings and life has been changed by doing this.

I read above the comments about cup cakes, mountain dew, and dairy queen and all I can see is those are things that were hindering ME from true freedom. I had to cut out the processed, pre-packaged foods as much as possible.. and when I did, my cravings left me completely. I sat in front of fudge-O's today, my absolute fave cookie.... Not only did I not care (and no, I wasn't convincing myself, I genuinely didn't care) but I also couldn't wait to enjoy my own Clean Whole treats when I got home... Nothing was worth that cookie, my health & my family are not worth that stupid cookie. I am worth this good food, I eat like a queen, and I've never enjoyed such delicious wholesome food in my life.

My name is Rachael and I am an addict. Sugar had a hold on me, and I had to kick it's Ace out the door.

Remember, we all have our own opinions to everything and I respect yours just as I'd hope you respect what I did for ME. :)

Couldn't agree more. I still struggle with trigger foods, like peanut butter, but the healthier you eat, the less you feel like putting all that processed stuff inside you. One day at a time... :smile: