Serious question about lifestyle calories vs. exercise

Options
So this is the deal. I ride my bike to work approximately 3 days a week. It takes me about 40 minutes to get there one way. I live in Austin,aka Hill Country,so it is up and down hill both ways. So is that my lifestyle or is that exercise? Because even though I eat sweets and drink I am under my calorie goal 80% of the time. Should I stop eating back those calories? Feel free to check out my diary and give some kind feedback.

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    did you lose 53 lbs doing this?
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but if it is something that you've been doing consistently for awhile, your body has likely adapted to the effort... which means it isn't going to have as much effect... so I would include it in lifestyle (make sure your lifestyle level is accurate!).

Example: I was already active when I adopted my dog, but he brought my activity to a whole new level because he required a LOT of exercise and behaviour modification. We ended up walking around 2 hours every day. I lost 10lb in just a few weeks. But over time my body adapted to the extra activity and now I just include it in lifestyle.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'd say if you are keeping your Heart Rate up while you are riding (and Losing Weight fairly consistently) , you are doing Fine with what you are doing.

eta: I would try varying my Route, intensity (speed), and maybe going for longer rides whenever possible.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I walk to work everyday and when I injured my foot and couldn't do my real workout on top of my walk, I found I lost no weight. So that daily walk became part of my daily workout.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I have become used to it. I will try not counting it for a while.