Need help building a non processed foods grocery list

Options
Going to start eating unprocessed. But i need help coming up with A grocery list!'

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you're going to be eating.
    Get the recipes that you need to make your meals together.
    Check your pantry for ingredients
    Make a list of what you don't have.
    Shop.

In any case, you should be doing all of your shopping from the perimeter of the store, not the aisles, since that's where you'll find the produce section, dairy, meat/fish.
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    "Don't buy anything that has more than three ingredients. If you have to Google it to know what it is, don't buy it. There's a difference between 'natural' and 'organic'. Stay away from GMOs. If it comes out of a box, jar, can, or bag, it's processed."

^ My boyfriend's words. He's a HUGE anti-processed food nut and has partially converted me.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Most of the inside aisles are filled with processed foods. Be sure to stock your refrigerator and pantry with lots of fruits, veggies, lean protein, etc. Steer clear of anything that comes in a box. Don't get discouraged-you'll do great!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Lol! Looks like we're all in agreement here!:flowerforyou:
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Maybe start making swaps of processed for a non processed alternative? Like I use canned cream of chicken soup in numerous recipes, so I started making my own with butter, homemade chicken broth, milk, flour, and seasonings. You can't go wrong sticking with the outside aisles of the grocery store-veggies, fruit, meat, and dairy.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    ignore pretty much every single aisle in the middle and just shop in the vegetable and fruit section, followed by the meats section... voila...

Basically if it comes in a box or a can... it's processed.
  • ahelsel1970
    ahelsel1970 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Our cashews come in a jar and peanuts too. What should I do?
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    Also another thing that might help - where we live we have a natural food market that sells organic meats, cheeses, etc. etc. etc.
    If you can find one in your area, you're set. Heck, we have that and a local farmer's market that runs every Saturday and we picked up some organic chicken and pork chops from there about 3 weeks ago. Had the chicken two weeks ago and the pork chops tonight - better than anything at the store, and affordable (two large chops were $7 here from the Farmer's Market...). The Farmer's Market sells all sorts of stuff - there was a chili cook-off last week, we got our organic meats from there, people were selling goat's milk and homemade soaps/lotions...

The possibilities are endless, and welcome to the club =)
  • normastafne
    normastafne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try googling Scarsdale Diet. . . the Tripod site includes a complete shopping list. Pretty much fresh fruit, vegetable, and fresh meat , and cheese. This is an old diet but has been updated. The blog site is very informative. But I love the simple menus and the SHOPPING LIST!
    GOOD LUCK...hope this helps.
  • redrover
    redrover Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great advice! It also helps to look to eat a wide variety of colors when picking your fruits and veggies. Get lots of greens, but also look for red, orange, yellow, even blue. Also don't be afraid to try different versions of things you eat now, like red or yellow carrots instead of just orange. You don't have to go to a fancy grocery store to find things like this - farmers markets are good places to look. A variety of colors means a variety of vitamins present!
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Our cashews come in a jar and peanuts too. What should I do?

Switch to raw nuts
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Also another thing that might help - where we live we have a natural food market that sells organic meats, cheeses, etc. etc. etc.
    If you can find one in your area, you're set. Heck, we have that and a local farmer's market that runs every Saturday and we picked up some organic chicken and pork chops from there about 3 weeks ago. Had the chicken two weeks ago and the pork chops tonight - better than anything at the store, and affordable (two large chops were $7 here from the Farmer's Market...). The Farmer's Market sells all sorts of stuff - there was a chili cook-off last week, we got our organic meats from there, people were selling goat's milk and homemade soaps/lotions...

The possibilities are endless, and welcome to the club =)

Also, if you have a Sprouts or Whole Foods store (or something similar), check them out. They carry the same sort of meats and veggies. Also, if you cannot have gluten or prefer to buy your grains in bulk, they've got that, too.
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You should be doing all of your shopping from the perimeter of the store, not the aisles, since that's where you'll find the produce section, dairy, meat/fish.

This is what I do too. All the healthiest foods are in the perimeter of the store so that's what I stick to.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    Whole Foods Market recently opened a store in our community. Look around for one of their stores. Excellent products even on the aisles there.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i shop the perimeter of the grocery store, buying unprepared meat, chicken and seafood, fresh veggies and fruit. I usually cook over the weekend for easy heat up dishes during the work week.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • oJulia
    oJulia Posts: 33
    Options

Thank you for this. I love the 2 week meal plan on the site w/ the included shopping list.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bulk foods are awesome - Winco is the cheapest I've found. Raw nuts, whole wheat flour, beans, rice, grains - awesome. Plus, fresh ground almond or peanut butter!