Looking for Vegetarian and Vegan Friends...

Options
Hi all! :flowerforyou:

First off, I am not a vegetarian. Although I have not have beef / pork in over twenty+ years, I still eat chicken and fish. :cry:

With that being said, I am looking for vegan and vegetarian friends with open diaries as I plan to cut these last bits out of my diet but need creative ideas. (I want to make sure I can rock my protein) :bigsmile:

Oh! Also, I cut dairy out for the month of August and really liked that change although I am doubtful I will go straight vegan because they do not make vegan Cheetos :grumble:

If you don't mind seeing seeing these things in my diary as I transition along, I would like to be friends. :flowerforyou:

-Tumbly

Replies

• nicoliravioli
    Options
    Hi! I was a strict vegan until I got pregnant but Im trying to get back into it. You're more than welcome to check out my diary! It's not very inspired, sometimes I just eat bowls of veggies but maybe it could help you out.

Also...try Tings! It's the vegan version of Cheetos. They are made with nutritional yeast so they have a slight cheesy flavor. They are made by the same company that makes Pirates Booty.

Good luck:)
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Also...try Tings! It's the vegan version of Cheetos.

They make healthy, VEGAN Cheetos?!?!?! :love:

HI FRIEND!!! :flowerforyou: So, uh... what other secret yumminess do you know???
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to check out my diary but for a long time I just substituted cheese for meat so I'm still figuring it out too!

One thing I have discovered is that nutritional yeast is a good substitute for cheese in some circumstances (like on beans). It has minimal fat and lots of protein, and a cheese-ish taste.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    You're welcome to check out my diary but for a long time I just substituted cheese for meat so I'm still figuring it out too!

One thing I have discovered is that nutritional yeast is a good substitute for cheese in some circumstances (like on beans). It has minimal fat and lots of protein, and a cheese-ish taste.

Where do you buy nutritional yeast? Is there a particular brand you use?
  • tumblyweed
    Options

Hmmm.... "has a cheese-ish taste". Yeah, that doesn't sound too pleasant. I'm pretty tough and will TRY it, but I'm thinking I shouldn't buy too much of the stuff. :huh:

I actually think I remember putting it on my dog's food at the recommendation of his vet... He liked it okay... :huh:
  • nicoliravioli
    Options
    Have you ever had quinoa? That is a complete protein and is yummy. Nutritional yeast is yummy on popcorn with some black pepper and is a good source of vit b12. Check out the post punk kitchen blog for some good vegan recipes. The past couple of days I've been uninspired with recipes but will let you when I make some. Keep me posted if you make something tasty, too!
  • nicoliravioli
    Options
    Where do you buy nutritional yeast? Is there a particular brand you use?
    [/quote]

I usually find the nutritional yeast in the bulk foods at my local health food store or Whole Foods...much cheaper to buy that way then prepackaged.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and you'd be surprised at how many delicious vegan treats are out there......I don't miss any of my old faves anymore. I found new faves including cookies, candy, chips, even vegan marshmallows!!

I have an open diary to friends and I eat a variety of delicious things. Most made from scratch.
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    ...I don't miss any of my old faves anymore. I found new faves including cookies, candy, chips, even vegan marshmallows!!

I only do vegan marshmallows and completely avoid gelatin. Even with cheese I try to stick to Tillamook or kosher made with vegetable rennet. It really is the protein that I'm concerned about... :(
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    ...I don't miss any of my old faves anymore. I found new faves including cookies, candy, chips, even vegan marshmallows!!

I only do vegan marshmallows and completely avoid gelatin. Even with cheese I try to stick to Tillamook or kosher made with vegetable rennet. It really is the protein that I'm concerned about... :(
    I cook tofu multiple ways and TVP. Beans,edamame and lentils are great for protein especially on quinoa. I do vega protein powder and soy milk smoothies. I average 100 grams protein a day.
  • tumblyweed
    Options

I cook tofu multiple ways and TVP. Beans,edamame and lentils are great for protein especially on quinoa. I do vega protein powder and soy milk smoothies. I average 100 grams protein a day.

100 grams is awesome!! That's my goal. Have tried the Vega and drink it sometimes but it has a really strong stevia flavor to it... I have got to see your diary! I'm stoked on the 100g!!!
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a strict vegan and my food diary is public. I have some photos of meals on my profile too if that's any help.
  • michellegr88
    Options
    I am still waiting on vegan cheetos too.
  • tumblyweed
    Options
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to some fresh ideas :)
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and have been for 20+ yrs. I'm not vegan but don't drink animal milk either.

Protein really isn't an issue - I aim for 106g a day. There's so many great foods out there which contain protein and even things like quinoa and edamamme beans have moderate levels of protein too

:smile:
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi all! :flowerforyou:

First off, I am not a vegetarian. Although I have not have beef / pork in over twenty+ years, I still eat chicken and fish. :cry:

-Tumbly

I'm the same way I don't eat beef / pork but only chicken and fish. I'm cutting those out starting today & looking for any friends who are the same & any tips to what vitamins I should take or anything. I'm going shopping for food this weekend- so until then my calories could be a bit lower than average.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian :) Have been since I was a kid
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian. To be honest, I still DO eat fish, but so rarely (mostly it's if I'm having sushi--I can't give up the stuff--so I maybe eat fish once or twice a month) that I don't consider myself a pescetarian.
  • lozfisher
    Options
    Hello. I'm also trying to be more veggie as I still eat pork and fish and occasionally turkey when my boyfriend has a meltdown about my lack of meat eating! I'm going to continue with fish but I'd like to be totally 'meat free'. I'm also lactose intolerant so vegan ish although we have chickens so I still eat eggs. Bein able to view into diaries would be great for ideas if people happy for me to friend them :-) cheers.
  • Stephanie_Autry
    Stephanie_Autry Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm also trying to be more veggie as I still eat pork and fish and occasionally turkey when my boyfriend has a meltdown about my lack of meat eating! I'm going to continue with fish but I'd like to be totally 'meat free'. I'm also lactose intolerant so vegan ish although we have chickens so I still eat eggs. Bein able to view into diaries would be great for ideas if people happy for me to friend them :-) cheers.

I'm going to eat fish here and there with my husband- we eat a lot of asian foods. Although, I can quit dairy no problem.