Buying new clothes?

Options
Hi everyone, as of today i've lost 25lbs and i'm thrilled- but none of my clothes seem to fit me anymore, so i wanted to know at what point did people start buying new clothes and what sizes did you go for? should i be buying stuff that fits me now, or knowing that i plan to lose another 20lbs should i be buying in smaller sizes that i'm hoping to fit into later?

Replies

• Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45lbs. I just bought a few shirts (maybe 4 or 5) and one pair of jeans. Otherwise you end up reaching your entire wardrobe more than once :( it can get mega expensive.
  • goaltndr00
    Options
    Congrats on 25 lbs! I have lost almost 20 lbs and have noticed I am now using the last hole on my belt. Seeing that kinda stuff is a great feeling. I hear you about clothes not fitting though. You feel great but then don't feel great putting on clothes that are too baggy now. I don't think I want to lose much more than 25 lbs total which is only looking like the difference of one size difference in my clothes (XL or L shirts to L or M) and 36 pants to 34. If you plan to lose another 20 you may want to use some clothes as a reward. reward yourself for this 25 lbs with an outfit or two and then do that again as you lose more. That would give you "go to" clothes that fit great without breaking the bank or changing out your whole wardrobe - at least until you get to your final goal weight.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I shop the thrift shops and got some newish jeans once my old pants started sliding down to the point even a belt wouldnt help, I cant afford to replace my entire wardrobe just yet, so paying $3-$10 (still had the tags on) for something that is only going to fit a few months didnt bother me plus it did wonders for my ego :wink:
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    Shop cheap. Your wallet will thank you after you've lost another 25lbs and need new clothes yet again ;)
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I asked friends who were abot my old size, if the they had any in my new size ( i tried on things at stores to figure this out) and offered them my too big things. Many of my friends gave me things they no longer used. Anythign that was still too small I kept in a designated box in the closet, as things got too big to wear I put aside in another box. I also would find great clearance deals, or if I had time browse the thrift shops. I find going to a clothing discount store like Marshalls or TJMaxx, you cna get 5-10$cheap pants, then get some 2$tanks at KMart or Walmart, and mix with what people give you and its a whole new dirt cheap wardrobe.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just buy a couple of clothes in your current size, don't get a whole new wardrobe. Also, if you know you're not going to be able to wear them that long, just buy them cheap.

Slightly loose fitting dresses are also handy, because the size doesn't really matter with them.

Use a tape measure to figure out your current size.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have developed a rather nasty Ebay habit. I was hesitant to buy intermediate sizes knowing that I had 80 lbs to lose before it's all said and done. Thrift/consignment stores and Ebay have been my saving grace. I do have a rather large pile of Levis that I can't seem to bring myself to donate.

We should have a MFP clothing exchange. Wouldn't that be cool to just walk into a room and pick out what you need, and return it when it doesn't fit anymore?
  • meowkapow
    meowkapow Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been losing for about a year and I limited myself to a couple of quality dresses per season (to celebrate my progress) and just low cost casual stuff. Even with that strategy I feel a bit bad about how much I spent on things I quickly grew out of!
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To be honest I took all my favourite pairs of jeans, work clothes (trouser suits, skirt suites, dresses ect) to the tailor and had him adjust tehm to my courent shape. I am a bit short of cash and I can't afford the whole new wordrobe. I did however buy myslef few things I didn't waer so far: short shorts, tight dress, mini skirt ... that kind of things:)
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Great question! Congratulations on your 25 pounds so far!! :flowerforyou: I have also lost 25 pounds & I did go on a little binge of a shopping spree last weekend. I know I'll be losing more (15-25 at most), but I just wanted something to show off all my hard work. Losing about a pound a week is time consuming! I got so many compliments this weekend; it was a great feeling. I say go for it, but with some control. Like previously mentioned by someone else, maybe a couple new shirts or having old ones tailored. I've never done that, but that is a great idea too! :drinker: