What do you consider cheating?

Options
I've seen people talking about having a cheat day, or a cheat meal. What you consider cheating? A day or a meal that puts you over your calorie limit for the day? Something that puts any of your numbers in red? Or you feel it's cheating if you eat a food that you know isn't good for you even if you stay within your calorie allotment?

I ask because today I ate half a pizza. Oh, and 1 piece of baklava. But I also went bike riding for over a long time today. I'm still within caloric limit, but over a bit on fat and protein. I sort of feel like I cheated, but I didn't go over calorie. And not even horribly with fat. I sure enjoyed it, though!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me, a cheat meal/day would be something calorie dense that I fully enjoy, but know that if I had a steady diet of same it would get me back to where I started.

For example, I have a birthday coming up and I will be going to Famous Dave's. I plan on enjoying myself thoroughly.

Some days I'll go for pizza; love the stuff but I understand that a steady diet of it would be counter productive.

Its about living in the real world, enjoying food, and understanding moderation. Because we've lost the concept of things being a treat, people don't deny themselves anything at any time anymore. It puts food into perspective, and me in control.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Anything that puts me over my carb goal.

As long as I am under that (and I am not eating or drinking WAY WAY more than I usually do) my body is going to have to work really hard to turn what I have put into my mouth into fat.

I think we focus on the maths too much (calories in/out, exercise, BMR, TDEE, 3500 calorie deficit = 1lb fat, whatever) and do not give the body enough credit for trying to keep us lean in the face of reasonably varying caloric intake.

I mean, what happened before we counted calories, joined gyms, got personal trainers/dietitians and started exercising like loons? Obesity crisis? Rampant diabetes? Childhood diabetes? Nope.

We just fed ourselves proper food and drink and the body sorted out the leanness naturally. No MFP, no diet plans, no 30 day shreds, no self-help books required.

Yeh I know, I waffle ... Back to the maths ;)
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    cheating to me would be

1) not logging in my food diary what i ate for the whole day
    2) accidently "fogetting" to add an item that i ate
    3) binging
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Cheat day to me is a day where you are only cheating yourself. That's why I've not had one since I started. Not once in 200 days. If I go over my cals, I either scold myself or make sure I work it off before bed....or both.
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    For me, a cheat meal/day would be something calorie dense that I fully enjoy, but know that if I had a steady diet of same it would get me back to where I started.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    A cheat day would be going over my cals with something that isn't healthy.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I don't consider any of my weight loss journey cheating. Sure, there are better days than others but non of it is cheating. It is just another day, meal or bite of food in my life. There is nothing I can not have. There are only better choices to make.

Cheating myself would be not exercising,not tracking my food, or giving up.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    i think cheating is anything over your calorie goal , i m under alot of days so on a monday my weigh day i treat myself with those spare cals to something naughty like a bar of choc so even if its over my daily mon cals its still not a cheat as i had the cals spare .:wink:
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Mine are "Indulgence Days"

Days I indulge in flavors that healtheir alternatives cant seem to match.
    I can go over calories, macros, stay in calories, doesnt matter. I indulge in things that will not help me towards my weight loss goals and I try not to over indulge in these items.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Exceeding target macros that was not a planned refeed.
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Cheating to me is having a meal that I know isn't good for me....Really cheating is making it a day of eating poorly not just a meal. Cheat day's are what really f's up my body.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't really see it in terms of cheating. If I allow myself a day when I can eat whatever I like, that is not cheating, because it's part of the rules I've made for myself. If I eat junk food when I hadn't planned to and didn't want to, then that is not cheating as such either - more that I have failed in that aspect of my plan, for that particular day. Cheating has a different meaning to me, which is unrelated to my eating habits.

For the days when I plan to eat whatever I like, I eat what I like. I love potato chips, so I allow myself these. However, because I know I will feel lethargic and unfocussed if I eat too much junk, I do control it. I choose snacks that don't have many artificial additives. I don't normally have a desire to eat loads and loads of junk if I am generally eating healthily the rest of the week. It's often more satisfying simply to allow myself an extra meal - one that is more comfort food for me, like a burger, or home made baked fries with melted cheese.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything I eat is cheating.

Verb:
    Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".

Who am I being dishonest to, and what advantage would I gain, if I ate an entire cake?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat what I want, just in moderation and it eliminate any idea of "cheat day" "bad food" "binge"

I do not thing using positive or negative emotions related to food is very healthy
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    When I eat anything with refined grains, added sugar, or soybean oil or another crummy fat source.

So all the deep fried food I I've cooked in peanut oil this weekend, I'd just call calorie dense and not "cheating". The ice cream sandwich I have at the end of the day most of the time, that's a cheat.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything I eat is cheating.

Verb:
    Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, esp. in a game or examination: "she cheats at cards".

Who am I being dishonest to, and what advantage would I gain, if I ate an entire cake?

This!! I'm not cheating in what I eat.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if you are honest about it. Eating over your calories one day is certainly not cheating. Failing to log what you have eaten, however, is cheating IMO as you are not making yourself accountable
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    When I exceed my daily calorie goal while eating loads of carbohydrates.

By way of example, my daily goal is approximately 2,600 calories and 160 grams of carbohydrates. A cheat day would be 4,000 calories and 400 grams of carbohydrates, filled with pizza, hoagies, pretzels, ice cream, and maybe some cake or pie.
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    I would not worry so much about having gone over your protein. If that number is high, that is ok. You want your protein high.
    For me cheating is eating too much in the likes of my calories. If I want that milkshake and it is within my calorie limits I am going to have it. If I go over, it happens. But an absolute cheat is eating too much junk of everything, going over my calories, fats, carbs, etc.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For me personally, a cheat is anything I don't record in my diary. If I record it, but go over my calories, it's not a cheat, just an overage. Cheating to me implies that your fooling yourself. The only fool thing is when you believe that not recording something in the diary will make body not record those calories either. Doesn't happen. So, I don't cheat because I want a realistic opinion of why my weight did what it did any particular week.