Will work for chocolate!

Options
2»

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I eat all the healthy stuff I should do, work out like crazy, and always have some kind of treat in the evening.

I know that I am going to crave something sweet during the day, and a piece of fruit is not going to cut it. I keep a sweetie tin both at home and at work which is full of boiled sweets (hard candy for our American friends) which have between 20 - 35 calories per sweet. I also like Pure Protein bars which taste like chocolate bars to me.

Everyone has a slightly different way of dieting and you need to find what works for you in the long term.

Good luck.
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been a lifelong chocoholic but have always had to moderate my intake because of migraines in my younger days. I haven't been on this program too long, but have found that I can fit one square of 72% chocolate (67 calories) into my daily allotment of calories pretty easily. I probably consume one 5 days out of 7. Trying to totally eliminate chocolate would probably be a deal-breaker for me.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I eat what I want, when I want as long as it fits into my macros, I eat up to 1700 calories a day and it has taken 9 months to lose the weight I've lost. I say have your chocolate and enjoy it :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I eat some chocolate nearly every day and haven't had a problem with it. (I don't call it "bad" either!) Sometimes it's that oft-recommended "one square of dark chocolate", sometimes it's a more substantial piece of milk chocolate, or an ordinary-sized bar of something. To start with, I made sure I worked it in every day - I think I had the fear of feeling deprived and giving in and bingeing. That never happened, and to be honest, I now find that very often I don't even want it and end up not having any.

To be honest, keeping this weight off now is more important to me than actually reaching my goal. I knew from starting with MFP that I would need to create a diet that I know I can stick with long-term, and I have no intention of permanently giving up chocolate (or bread, bacon, butter, wine... :wink:) So, for me, it's not about choosing chocolate vs. being thin/healthy/whatever. It's about having the right balance so that I can continue this lifestyle indefinitely.

Nutrition is important, so as well as fitting it into my calorie goals, I also keep an eye on other things to make sure I get plenty of protein, fibre, water and micronutrients.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I think I am at a stage in my life where I think I am 37 years old and I'm not going to change so I need to learn to stop working against myself and get realistic! Develop a way of eating that I can stick to forever and stop kidding myself that I will learn to live without sweet treats; I never have in the past 20 years so chances are I never will!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Talking of Stevia... I have just bought some, brand name Truvia. I swear I cannot abide it, I think it makes my coffee taste like liquorice.
    Has anyone tried other brands that are less revolting that I can try??

Truvia is stevia mixed with erythritol, a sugar alcohol. I haven't tried it because I don't like the taste of sugar alcohols. I use "sweet leaf" brand stevia powder. Some people don't like the taste of stevia though. It can be bitter and have a kind of metallic aftertaste if you use too much. Even if you just use a little, it doesn't taste exactly like sugar, but I have gotten used to it.