anyone ever used plentyoffish.com

Options
Just wondering. Is it a site for just hooking up? I have been on for about 4 days and out of the 20 guys I have spoke to, about half are already trying to take it far. I mean not wanting to get to know about each other, just wanting to move straight to the dirty stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prude by any means. But I have it set that I'm looking for a relationship and not just hook ups. Just wondering other people's experiences.

Replies

• Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    I would stay off there. If you saw posts about that site on other forums, you'd see its mostly a place for one night stands
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    Yeah, you can set it to "looking for a relationship" and it won't matter.
    You'll still get the 20+ guys that just want some.

It's not a good site for anything real. You'd be better off finding someone on here....( :happy: )

But pof.com isn't somewhere I would go for serious, unless you plan on staying on there a while. I have met one guy from there before, but that was one out of the 50+ that just wanted some..haha
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Not recommended in the majority of cases.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My mum joined it, she gets lots of filthy messages from younger men, she's not complaining :laugh:
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am on it, i go back then leave then go back etc etc..
    Some of the men are complete filth on there...
    Make sure you go to mail settings and check the box that says cannot contact you if they have mailed others for intimate encounters...
    That really does make a massive difference! x
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I used that and OKCupid.com while I was single. I didn't meet my current boyfriend from there, but I did go on some fun dates. It's worth a shot.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm on there. And yeah I get the pervs. I keep thinking maybe there will be a prince (or at least a decent guy) among the frogs.

Just ignore the pervs. They are everywhere lol
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's the Internet version of the worst smokey pickup bar you can imagine. Stay. Away. Unless you're looking for that; in which case, enjoy!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My mum joined it, she gets lots of filthy messages from younger men, she's not complaining :laugh:

Love this post! GO MUM!
  • Martin0524
    Martin0524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used it. And about 90% of the time I didn't like it.. .I was what you called a serious dater.. I wanted to meet new people, get to know them and see how things moved along. Most of the guys on there were just looking to find someone for one nighters (not my style). I met my Husband on singlesnet.com. It is a site you have to pay for but I met alot of really nice people who were willing to talk and get to know me.
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I found everything I needed right here on MFP.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    MrBigMack and I met on plentyoffish.com :laugh:
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I've gone out with 2 nice guys from there. One I ignored there and he added me here lol. For whatever reason I didn't ignore him here. Anyway, he's a nice guy. Just older. Another guy I dated for a couple of weeks but just different paths. Everyone else.. annoying has hell, creepy as hell, or just no. LOL
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    my dad found his wife on that site! just weed through the scum :). he had a few different short term (like a few dates) before he found the one
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've tried a variety of sites and I haven't found a difference in the quality (using the term loosely) of people on there. It's not just 20-something men; the 50+ are the same. The men NOT looking for immediate sexual gratification are so unacceptable... Yes, there ARE 50-somethings, never married, still living in their parents' basement! I'm still on one site, and I'm only waiting until my membership expires, then I'm gone.

Lots of scammers on those sites, too. And many of the sites are owned by the same company.
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You have to be willing to filter through a lot of crap to get to the good ones, but there are some good ones.

Definitely check the setting that does not allow people to contact you if they're just looking for sex (it's in your mail settings page I think).

The thing about POF is that it has the sheer numbers... and they say dating is a numbers game. I've tried a lot of dating sites and always end up going back to POF because the others just don't have as much selection, and yet they still have just as much crap. You do have to have a pretty thick skin for online dating.

Still haven't met a "keeper" yet though. :/
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I've tried a variety of sites and I haven't found a difference in the quality (using the term loosely) of people on there. It's not just 20-something men; the 50+ are the same. The men NOT looking for immediate sexual gratification are so unacceptable... Yes, there ARE 50-somethings, never married, still living in their parents' basement! I'm still on one site, and I'm only waiting until my membership expires, then I'm gone.

Lots of scammers on those sites, too. And many of the sites are owned by the same company.

saying that the men not looking for sexual gratification are unacceptable is such a dis. my dad found his wife on that site! he was 50 yes, but he was married previously, makes amazing money and is one of the hardest working people i know. he worked his way up in the world. when i was a kid i remember him going to college and delivering pizza allllll the time just to pay bills for 3 mouths (my mothers included!). he also signed up for eharmony, which cost him big money, and he never met anyone off of it. him and his wife have been married for a year and met eachother two years ago.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I actually met my husband on there. But yes, most of the guys just want to hook up. Every now and then you'll find a diamond like I did though.
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I met my partner on Match....loads of lovely guys looking for love...you just have to trawl through a bit to find the good ones...
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    You have to be willing to filter through a lot of crap to get to the good ones, but there are some good ones.

Definitely check the setting that does not allow people to contact you if they're just looking for sex (it's in your mail settings page I think).

The thing about POF is that it has the sheer numbers... and they say dating is a numbers game. I've tried a lot of dating sites and always end up going back to POF because the others just don't have as much selection, and yet they still have just as much crap. You do have to have a pretty thick skin for online dating.

Still haven't met a "keeper" yet though. :/

She put it really well.