Is it cheating if it is within your calories?

Options
I am still unsure about it, in the sense that I still feel somewhat guilty whenever I eat something that isn't low calorie or low carb, even if at the end of the day I'm still within my calorie goals.
Would you consider it cheating if you had a cheeseburger or an ice cream and still made it to 1200 (or whatever your calorie goal is) at night?
I had a 500 calorie muffin (damn you Starbucks) yesterday morning, and then ate 'light' for the rest of the day and ended up eating about 1300. Still, I was terrified to step on the scale this morning to discover I'd gained weight. I actually lost half a pound, but the fear is there every time I eat something that I "shouldn't."

Do you feel guilty or consider it a cheat day if you eat junk food or sweets, even if you don't go over in calories or macros?

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing lately.. Really? I find that I'm learning how to eat like a skinny person. Isn't that what they do? Eat what they want..but keep it in check..balance it out? I always equated eating something "bad" as a reason to throw in the towel and eat everything bad. Now, I'm learning I can balance it all out..exercise extra..eat lighter the next day and i don't gain.

It is so simple..yet I never realized this before. I had an "all or nothing" eating mentality. I think this is a good thing!

I'll add..that I don't think it is good to eat like that all the time..but when you have those stretches of time when you're not eating your healthy best...nice to know you can manage it until you get back on track.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    No, I don't feel guilty. I know that I would certainly have faster success if I ate clean ALL the time. But I want to still be able to enjoy ice cream or pizza or whatever. The key is usually portion size, and of course planning so it fits within your goals. A lot of people do this so that they don't feel deprived and they can stick with it longer term.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, as long as it fits in my calorie goal.

To be successful, you have to figure out how to manage your calories for the rest of your life, in a variety of situations. Life includes ice cream, pasta, bread, pizza, candy, etc. If you can continue to avoid those for the next 50-70 years, more power to you. I can't. So, I'm learning about this thing called "moderation." That is what's going to make me long-term successful.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty about it. I think we have to get over the "cheating" label. That's giving our food too much power over us. Moderation is the key.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within calorie goals. Of course I tend to eat healthier because frankly, you can just eat a whole lot more of that kind of food.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also, you aren't going to see weight gain the next day, unless it is because of sodium. To lose 1 pound a week, you need a calorie deficit of 3,500 cals for the whole week. So if you eat a little over one day and a little under another day, it should equal out. Or, maybe you have only a calorie deficit of 1,750 for the whole week, you would still lose half a pound.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    you set yourself up for failure if you don't give in to thiings you want to eat! If you're eating things in the right portions and not going over on calories and are still active then you've done well!
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, you should eat what you want when you want!

If I know I am going to have a bad dinner/tea/evening meal then i try and adjust through the day! I personally think it is the best way to do it. For me.

I wouldn't feel guilty about it.

I think it might be problem if naughty starbucks makes you eat a muffin everyday! (shame on you starbucks!) lol
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't consider it cheating, or feel guilty. I try not to associate words like "cheating" or "guilt" with what I eat. It's just food. Too much of anything is not good for you, and may make you gain weight, but it doesn't make you a bad person. Sorry if that sounds preachy, I've just had more than enough of associating emotions with food & eating, and I'm done with that!

There's no one food or type of food that got me to 214 lbs... it was just eating a bit too much for many years, on top of a sedentary lifestyle. Now, I eat much better, I get far more protein, fibre, vitamins & minerals than I ever used to. I also get less sugar and cook more from scratch. My diet still includes plenty of carbs, fat, some sugar & sodium, some processed food, yet I'm still losing weight consistently. Over the last few weeks, I've had Chinese takeaway with chips (fries), altogether too much vodka, some amazing chocolate cake with nutella buttercream and more than I usually eat of pasta, bread and potatoes. I've still lost more than I expected to, and think I might need to up my calorie intake.

I'm not saying that the quality of food doesn't matter for health, but no one gets obese from one cheeseburger (or even one a week). Letting go of feeling guilty about eating food is one of the best things I've done for my peace of mind.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Do you feel guilty or consider it a cheat day if you eat junk food or sweets, even if you don't go over in calories or macros?

Not at all. We are human beings and being able to indulge on occasion is one of the pleasures of life. Enjoy!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating. I'm not on a diet - I'm changing how I will eat forever. That means I'm still going to have the 'unhealthy foods' in moderation. They just will no longer be the majority of what I eat.

Don't beat yourself up. If you don't like how you've eaten today - tomorrow is a new day. :)
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty about it. I think we have to get over the "cheating" label. That's giving our food too much power over us. Moderation is the key.

^^This exactly. The food's not in charge of how I feel anymore. I am in charge, and I choose to not wallow in guilt over enjoying some good food. Guilt kept me fat for years, because I'd eat one "bad" thing and then feel like I might as well go wild since I'd "ruined" my day anyway. Guilt is not welcome here now.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    BAHAHAHAHAHA! Your profile is HILARIOUS!

I have nothing more to add.
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your goals and resolutions. In most cases, if it is within your numbers, it's fine (as long as it isn't junk repeatedly). But there are some exceptions. I resolved to give up pop so, while having a diet soda would be perfectly acceptable within my numbers, having one would be cheating for me.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

^^This exactly. The food's not in charge of how I feel anymore. I am in charge, and I choose to not wallow in guilt over enjoying some good food. Guilt kept me fat for years, because I'd eat one "bad" thing and then feel like I might as well go wild since I'd "ruined" my day anyway. Guilt is not welcome here now.

This is exactly how I have viewed food for years! One bad thing i'd thrown in the towel and binge, 'cause I'd "ruined" the day. Now I have a "bad" meal or day and just shrug it off, no big deal I am going to eat this way for the rest of my life so I'd better enjoy it!
  • meandtwocats
    Options
    Heck no! That is called balance. Life is short and I intend to enjoy my time here. I had a good friend who was very strick on what she did and ate. She was not happy about it and she left us far to early and I took this as a lesson. This is was jumped started me to do this journey so I can enjoy more in my life!
  • pen_thief
    pen_thief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    To some people who'd rather mind your business than their own.
    I found this out yesterday when a food snob told me my diet was terrible, disgusting, etc.
    I locked my food diary, then rethought it and unlocked it. Screw it. I'm here to lose weight, not be a nutrition guru.
    I know what I SHOULD eat. I don't always do it.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. Although we do better when we make it a healthy item, but who wants to do that. I pay the game to spend my calories as if it were money. I've got a certain amount to spend each day and not a penny more, unless I've earned more through exercise and I want to use those too for a special occasion. We pretty much pre- plan our day and even plan for Starbucks or blenders. I actually only refer to cheating like when I go to outback and have the prime rib with bread and cheese fries and completely bust the bank. Lol
  • brynnflynn
    brynnflynn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nope. :) That's what's really made this diet work for me--it's not a diet, it's changing how I think about food. If I want Rita's Water Ice, I need to spend some time on the bike in exchange. I don't get to just throw calories away, but I also don't punish myself for being overweight. If I don't have something I love that's high calorie once in a while, I'd fall off the wagon and never get back on.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    To some people who'd rather mind your business than their own.
    I found this out yesterday when a food snob told me my diet was terrible, disgusting, etc.
    I locked my food diary, then rethought it and unlocked it. Screw it. I'm here to lose weight, not be a nutrition guru.
    I know what I SHOULD eat. I don't always do it.

Awesome!