buying smaller size for motivation?

Options

Replies

• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I actually have two dresses that are waaaaay too (14s and I wear an 18/20 right now). They were on the clearance rack at Target and I just fell in love with them. So they're hanging up in my bedroom as my "goal clothes" :laugh:
  • para999sal
    Options
    I like that idea.:bigsmile:
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We are going to the Bahamas in November and of course I will need summer clotes. So I am buying smaller clothes and praying I am judging the right size. I am supposed to be at my goal weight by then but I've bought a couple of different sizes just to be safe.
  • drelan
    drelan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yup...GAP was having a sale so I took advantage of it and ordered a shirt and a pair of jeans 2 sizes smaller (now 1 size). Every day I see that cute top hanging in the closet and think "I'm gonna wear that soon!"
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have quite a bit of stuff in a smaller size - it's all a different kind of style to what I wear now (fitted & sleek vs fluffy & retro). I know I can and will get into them, but I agree it would've been a waste if I never did.

I do have a few things I won't buy until I've hit my target, like skinny jeans. I haven't worn jeans or trousers in years, so I have no idea how to get a good fit for those without actually trying them on.
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I did this on accident, if that counts. Went to old navy last year for jeans and some new shirts. Well, bought jeans that were mismarked as $0.47 (and they honored it!!) and said it was a size 14 but seriously it fits like a 10 or 12. Well, I had put them away until I lost some weight and luckily this summer I lost enough to wear them and I've been wearing the hell out of them. Sadly, my recent mini weight gain has made them tight although they still fit. I've gotten back to my work outs and eating right since that discovery. Hopefully they will be lose in no time!
  • DyamonDyva
    DyamonDyva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do all the time, actually have a whole wardrobe in varies sizes....besides who can pass up a great deal got everything from clearances sales, Paid about $10 and under for most of my items.... If you find something that's a smaller size and a great deal I say go for it, your get in it sooner than you think....:wink::laugh:
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I haven't bought any in a smaller size but a friend of mine gave me some clothes she could no longer wear that were a size smaller than what I was in at the time and they served as great motivation.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, work's great. Getting to the point were it's not going to work anymore though. :cry: Gone from a 38 to a 28 jean size. :drinker: Best thing to do is buy a pair cheap at a second hand store. Good luck.:smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have done that with a couple things....I bought some workout clothes that are a size too small. But I have SOOO many other smaller clothes I have bought in the past that I have waiting for me that I don't need to buy anything.

I do have a 2 sizes smaller bathing suit hanging on my bedroom door for inspiration. But I don't expect to get into that until next spring sometime. Still, it does help with the motivation. :)
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought of going to a thrift store and buying clothes that fit now for very little money and then doing it again when they get too big?

What fisherlassie said! Less expensive and still motivating! You can also find some nice, high-end clothes at the nicer shops, so if you lose quickly and they don't fit for long, you won't feel so bad about the cost. Maybe I'm just cheap, but that's what I would do.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i have 15 size 7 pants
    i have like 4 size 12-14-around there pants.
    its definitely motivation to fit into my 'nice' pants. i just had all them because i used to be thin.
    i can fit into 2 pairs of the 7's comfortably now.

and with the idea about the thrift store, its a great one. i just bought 4 pairs of work pants for me and the hubby, and they were only 3$ each!!! usually they are like 20, and with us losing weight so fast its not even worth it.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I did that with one thing: This swimsuit. I HAD to have it and they were sold out of all sizes except xl and medium ;)
    7737165952_115d7f7708.jpg
    Image03182012180601 by palmerig88, on Flickr
    7865239378_ba8bcca53e.jpg
    62012 002 by palmerig88, on Flickr
    7566214332_9a13d48091.jpg
    62012 012 by palmerig88, on Flickr
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I have done this and it does not work for me. I either go closet shopping when I go down a size or just go out and get something after I have already gone down.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I did it with some jeans I bought. I knew that I was losing weight at a pace that I would be too small for my current size soon so I bought a pair of jeans in my size and the next size down. Not only did I fit into that smaller size in a few weeks but now I am even 2 sizes smaller than that!
  • denisel321
    Options
    Yes! I like to have at least one thing that I buy on sale or clearance as a goal item. Right now it's a pair of black leather riding boots that are SO close to fitting but still tight in the calves. They are sitting in my closet on a shelf where I see them every day when I get dressed.

Find something you love and trust me, it's a real motivator! Good luck :)
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I think I'd buy something a size smaller if it was a t-shirt, but not any other garment.
    Clothes just fit too weird to buy something without trying it on first, in my case. Even when something is the CORRECT size, sometimes I don't like it when I try it on, just because it fits weird and the proportions are strange.
    This. ^^^. I wouldn't buy too-small (for now) clothes as motivation, just because you don't know how they'll fit. Cut can actually change with size. What fits you now might not necessarily work as well for your smaller body just because it's a smaller size -- between the changes in your body and the changes in the clothes between sizes, it might end up being a waste of money. Then again, if you feel it's worth it as motivation even if they end up not fitting you well, then it's not wasted.
    I do like the idea of going second-hand shopping for things that fit you now, though, then donating them back.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I did with some crop pants a size small that wereon clearance at Sam's club and was able to fit into them a few months ago, went from XL to sm :). Glad I got them :)
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I buy and consume smaller food portion sizes for motivation...
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I did that with one thing: This swimsuit. I HAD to have it and they were sold out of all sizes except xl and medium ;)
    7737165952_115d7f7708.jpg
    Image03182012180601 by palmerig88, on Flickr
    7865239378_ba8bcca53e.jpg
    62012 002 by palmerig88, on Flickr
    7566214332_9a13d48091.jpg

62012 012 by palmerig88, on Flickr

You look great!!