Anyone else on the autism spectrum here?

opuntia
opuntia Posts: 860 Member
Hi - I have Asperger Syndrome, and am just wondering if there are many others here on the autism spectrum.

I sometimes feel my goals here are a bit unusual, as they are related more to my health, wellbeing and functioning than to weight loss - and often specifically related to Aspergers. So it would be nice to have some friends here with similar goals and challenges.

Also, if there are a few people with Aspergers/ASDs here, would you be interested in a group for MFP members on the autism spectrum?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    There already is a group :) however its mostly mothers of autistic kids than people with ASD themselves.
  • opuntia
    There already is a group :) however its mostly mothers of autistic kids than people with ASD themselves.

Ah yes, I've joined that group. But as you say, it's more for mothers of autistic kids, so I thought it might be good to have a separate group for autistic adults - if there are enough of us here to warrant it!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    bumping =)
  • HealthyMe46
    HealthyMe46 Posts: 226 Member
    Hi. I don't have autism but work as a school psych, so I know a little bit about ASD. Just wanted to wish you luck on this journey!
  • opuntia
    Thanks, HealthyMe46. :-)
  • opuntia
    *bump*

There must be more of us, surely!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    a group might be a good idea.........
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    I've seen that group, it's just for mothers.

I think I removed myself because the group description has enough mistakes to make an Aspie grind their teeth.
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Hi! My son has autism and I have suspected for awhile now that I am on the spectrum. But, I am not diagnosed. There is a group on here like somebody above mentioned. There are a lot of mothers in the group but I think the person who runs it has autism. You should make another group though if you want :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I don't have it myself but my step son has aspergers, ADHD and severe dyapraxia. Bumping for you in the hope you get other people with it... would be great for you to have friends who understand you. Good Luck sweetie x
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    I don't have ASD, but i do have tourette's syndrome which is highly sensory, as well as ADHD. Add me if you like!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    You should definitely make a group even if this is only a few members to start. That way, when someone searches through the groups they'll find what they're looking for and join. All groups have got to start somewhere.

If a group isn't relatively active I tend not to want to join it. For that reason, I suggest trying to keep the group active even when there's only a few members.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • opuntia
    Thanks for the responses. :-)

I'm realising my original post should have also included people who suspect they are on the autism spectrum but don't yet have a diagnosis - a lot of people fall into that category, as Aspergers wasn't even an official diagnosis until 1994. I was only diagnosed 3 years ago, although I suspected for years before that.

Anyway, I think I might start a group - although I've not started a group before, so not exactly sure how to do it, so it might be a while before I figure it out!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Thanks for the responses. :-)

I'm realising my original post should have also included people who suspect they are on the autism spectrum but don't yet have a diagnosis - a lot of people fall into that category, as Aspergers wasn't even an official diagnosis until 1994. I was only diagnosed 3 years ago, although I suspected for years before that.

Anyway, I think I might start a group - although I've not started a group before, so not exactly sure how to do it, so it might be a while before I figure it out!

There's no scope for the NHS to diagnose Asperger's in my area. I got a referral from my GP, but after a hour taken out of my work/schedule and revealing all of my deepest darkest secrets, the psychiatrist admitted, when questioned, that he was incapable of diagnosing Asperger's syndrome.
    There is someone nearby that I've been in contact with that did receive a diagnosis after fighting for months and months, and my wife said that we should keep going until we get a diagnosis.
    I pointed out that if we're not going to stop until we get the answer we want, asking the question becomes pointless.
  • Hi I don't have ASD buy I know a lot about it. I run my own daycare. And I have a child that has ASD. and I know there are a lot of challenges. You can do this, you just need to keep your head up high and don't give up. You can do this hun.:)