The number of calories I can eat a day seems a bit low

Options

Replies

• greenthickies
    Options
    I just weighed my food this morning before adding it to my smoothie and my calories seem a lot more reasonable today. I think something must have gone wrong yesterday. Thank you so much for all your support and encouragement. I weighed myself this morning and I'm actually 2 lbs lighter which I know is probably just a water fluctuation but I'm encouraged that I didn't put on weight which is what I was expecting. So I'm going to continue with my experiment to drink nothing but smoothies (green thickies) for a week and see if I notice any improvements. I'm going to have to measure myself too as I know it's not all about the weight.

Thanks again
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don't be too freake out to much about my weight gain. I'm one of those terrible unfortunate people that it just piles onto even if I'm eating healthy foods. And I wasn't doing a lot of physicall activity either.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I would reconsider whether you really want to be losing the last bit of baby weight while still breastfeeding. According to a bunch of other posters, the body seems to want to hold on to the last 5-10 while nursing, after which it is easier to lose them.

Also, I would strongly advise against drinking shakes and eating nothing else. Even if the shakes themselves are healthy, eating the same thing every day tends to result in nutritional deficiencies that could be avoided simply by eating a variety of foods. If you look at your log (which I know is inaccurate, but still), you will see that you tend to be quite high in carbs and low in protein. Not good for you or the baby! At the very least, I would review this plan with your pediatrician.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just put in one of your smoothies, using both the fitness pal calculator and, to double check, another list of nutrition for the same foods. Just one of your smoothies comes to over 1100 calories. It contains, besides a whole lot of fruit, a cup of coconut milk (which was my choice for the smoothie) and a cup of oats.

A regular, and filling, breakfast for me is a cup of oat-meal porridge made on water - that's cooked, and contains about half a cup of oats, two-three spoons of youghurt and some fruit or sugar-free jam, with two cups of tea. That is about 200 calories.

I can see why I have no problems staying under the 1400 calories mfp suggests for me (before adding activity), while you reach 2000 calories in one and a half meal.

Perhaps your smoothies are better for people who work out a lot, and need quick, healthy and nutritious meals? Some people have problems eating enough, you know, and they will most likely benefit from your health advice. People who are already sedentary and try to lose weight will have a problem though.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I just put in one of your smoothies, using both the fitness pal calculator and, to double check, another list of nutrition for the same foods. Just one of your smoothies comes to over 1100 calories. It contains, besides a whole lot of fruit, a cup of coconut milk (which was my choice for the smoothie) and a cup of oats.

A regular, and filling, breakfast for me is a cup of oat-meal porridge made on water - that's cooked, and contains about half a cup of oats, two-three spoons of youghurt and some fruit or sugar-free jam, with two cups of tea. That is about 200 calories.

I can see why I have no problems staying under the 1400 calories mfp suggests for me (before adding activity), while you reach 2000 calories in one and a half meal.

Perhaps your smoothies are better for people who work out a lot, and need quick, healthy and nutritious meals? Some people have problems eating enough, you know, and they will most likely benefit from your health advice. People who are already sedentary and try to lose weight will have a problem though.
    I agree! I also find it worrisome that the "nutritional" information looks so official....and is sooooo wrong. :sad:
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think both the previous comments are very valid
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I've never been pregnant but I reckon for the health of you and the baby, 1,200 might be a little low. If you set the site to lose 1lb a week instead of 2lbs it should raise what you're allowed to eat to a bit more. Is your diary open? I'm surprised by how much you've eaten, if you're not putting on weight.
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    <snip>

I usually use chronometer to calculate the calories of my green smoothies. The calories on my website are accurate and one serving would usually fill me up but I know I eat more calories than most people as I'm still breastfeeding.

<snip>
    I'm sorry, but I don't believe the calories on your website are accurate. In fact, I know they aren't. Aside from the example rotill gave, I just picked a recipe at random. Your very official nutritional information (really bothers me that is IS so official looking, therefore garnering faith in the accuracy) says 305 calories per serving for the peaches and cream. The 1/2 cup of coconut milk alone is over 200 calories. Then you add a peach and an apple, among other things. No way that is accurate information. :sad:
  • annafonte
    annafonte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, how many calories were you expecting to consume in one day? I barely reach 1000 calories by lunch.

Sounds like you're eating like a 'king'!
  • rotill
    Options
    <snip>

I usually use chronometer to calculate the calories of my green smoothies. The calories on my website are accurate and one serving would usually fill me up but I know I eat more calories than most people as I'm still breastfeeding.

<snip>
    I'm sorry, but I don't believe the calories on your website are accurate. In fact, I know they aren't. Aside from the example rotill gave, I just picked a recipe at random. Your very official nutritional information (really bothers me that is IS so official looking, therefore garnering faith in the accuracy) says 305 calories per serving for the peaches and cream. The 1/2 cup of coconut milk alone is over 200 calories. Then you add a peach and an apple, among other things. No way that is accurate information. :sad:

And, while we are nitpicking: You claim that your recipe is good for a long list of allergies. If you are to claim that a recipe is safe for people allergic to nuts, you really need to specify that they can not use for instance coconut milk in the recipe. Nut allergy is one of the truly dangerous allergies, as people tend to react violently, and if you want to give out serious-looking health advice, please don't leave it up to people's common sense. What if some friendly neighbourhood mother made your smoothie for an allergic child, trusting that it was safe to use the ingredients listed?

And... isn't a chronometer a very precise clock?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    The calories on the website are incorrect as she has stated, as rotill pointed out, she measures them using a chronometer - that is a timepiece!

So, how many minutes/hours does a pizza have? I think we should be told!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

In my house, pizza has about 5 minutes. :laugh:
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    [/quote]And, while we are nitpicking: You claim that your recipe is good for a long list of allergies. If you are to claim that a recipe is safe for people allergic to nuts, you really need to specify that they can not use for instance coconut milk in the recipe. Nut allergy is one of the truly dangerous allergies, as people tend to react violently, and if you want to give out serious-looking health advice, please don't leave it up to people's common sense. What if some friendly neighbourhood mother made your smoothie for an allergic child, trusting that it was safe to use the ingredients listed?

And... isn't a chronometer a very precise clock?[/quote]
    Excellent point about allergies and such! I don't think we're nitpicking. I think we're just trying to help other who are here to get healthier, and thinner. We are all too often ready to try any "magic" that comes along to make that happen...and sadly sometimes common sense goes out the window.

Too funn about the chronometer actually being a timepiece! I just kind of skimmed over that, not really knowing what it was:blushing: , but like the nutritional information is presented, it LOOKED impressive!
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    Sorry, not sure why the above did not appear as a quote. :embarassed:
  • _Mimi_
    Options

In my house, pizza has about 5 minutes. :laugh:
    hahaha that's about how long they last in our house too!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Think she means this:

http://cronometer.com/
  • rotill
    Options
    Think she means this:

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    Think she means this:

Ah, that makes sense. :) Doesn't appear to be very accurate though. :(

ETA: Just to be fair, I made an account and tried the "cronometer" site. It looks like the calorie counts there are pretty accurate, although I only checked a couple items. Appears only the smoothie site has incorrect calorie counts (and who know if the other nutritional information is accurate)
  • greenthickies
    Options
    No I'm exactly the same with weight gain. I managed to pile on about 56 pounds in half a year after I got married. I went a bit crazy after being sick of dieting. Never again!
  • mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Interested in your smoothies your drinking. It might help me add veggies to my diet, if I can make them taste sweet. I'm going to send you a friend request. Also the other people are right in saying you should add your breastfeeding calories and also you should only aim to lose 0.5 pounds a week to lose since you're trying to lose less than 10 pounds. :flowerforyou: