Need 20lbs gone ASAP, advice?

Options
Okay lemme start off with the basics:
My highest weight was 273.
My current weight is 198.
My short term goal is 178 so that i can do my military paperwork.
My long term goal is 140.
I am 5'8 and 19 years old.

I need to weigh in at 178 by November 1st for MEPS. That is 66 days from now. I have access to 3 protein powders, 2 are whey and the third is muscle milk. I also own hydroxycut max for women, xenadrine, and raspberry ketones.

My current routine involves:
-Drinking anywhere from 10 cups to a gallon and a half of water every day (with and without crystal light drink mix). However, I do not consume any other beverages.
-Walking/Jogging (interval) 3 miles 3-5 mornings a week
-Doing tony little's body express total body workout 3-7 days a week.
-Eating small meals/snacks on a 2-3 hour routine and using hydroxycut max for women

If anyone can make reccomendations or suggestions on how to get down to 178 by november 1st I would greatly appreciate it. Please bear in mind that negativity is not useful and that a little over 2lbs a week average weight loss is a realistic goal according to medical professionals. (Just difficult). I am open to ideas and stories.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Need to see your diary to know how to help. Have no idea how or what you're eating.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Eat with a 1000 calorie deficit every day.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Need to see your diary to know how to help. Have no idea how or what you're eating.

yep, ditto:)
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    also going with as low carb as you can get does tend to cut weight fast. I do not recommend for long term
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Agreed about your diary, but....

I would cut out all the supplementss and hydroxycut ( they are not very good for you!), including the protein powder. Protein powder has calories in it, so you might be consuming more calories a day than you think.

Up your cardio exercise to 5-6 days a week and add in miles. I would do cardio for at least 45-60 mins each day. Cardio burns fat and calories, so you will not only get in shape for the militarty but loose pounds too. I would also weight train, added muscle will keep your metabolism up.

Don't cut your calories too drastic, I would keep them at about 1500 or so a day. Eat a lot of lean protein, whole grains, veggies and fruit. Cut out any processed sugar.

You will need to be very careful with your food choices and with your exercise, but you can do this. You are young and have that working for you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    also going with as low carb as you can get does tend to cut weight fast. I do not recommend for long term

That's my reading of the research too. Long term up to 40% calories from carbs. But short term, nothing beats low carb for fast weight loss.

I also agree about the supplements. But eat CAREFULLY and WELL.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You're going to to have to kick your own *kitten* before basic so they can kick your *kitten* in basic! :wink:

Skip the supplements! You don't need them. Be sure to take vitamins though and fish oil.

AVOID soda and processed stuff as much as possible.

Lean protein, fruits, veggies, low starch carbs. You won't get sweets in basic so you might as well start cutting them now. They'll give you fruit and thats about it maybe a whole wheat pancake here or there.

If you're not right on your target weight they still may let you in but you'll have to take (forgive me for the term) "the fat class".

You're going to need to burn. Run, jog, walk, move as much as possible daily without injuring yourself. Get used to the running. You'll do a crap ton of that in basic. I'd worry more about making weight because they WILL put the muscle on for you.
  • devo182
    devo182 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would agree with others about the supplements. Supplements have shown to do nothing and can have harmful byproducts. If you want the "good stuff" out of weight loss supplements, take some b12 and caffeine and voila you've saved yourself $30. Protein powder is fine as long as you include it in your calories (obviously). The only potential downside is you have the potential to grow muscle through regular exercise. I would honestly avoid things that could add muscle and simply eat light, low carbs, and only do cardio. Good luck.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

I need to weigh in at 178 by November 1st for MEPS. That is 66 days from now. I have access to 3 protein powders, 2 are whey and the third is muscle milk. I also own hydroxycut max for women, xenadrine, and raspberry ketones.

-Drinking anywhere from 10 cups to a gallon and a half of water every day (with and without crystal light drink mix). However, I do not consume any other beverages.
    -Eating small meals/snacks on a 2-3 hour routine and using hydroxycut max for women

If anyone can make reccomendations or suggestions on how to get down to 178 by november 1st I would greatly appreciate it. Please bear in mind that negativity is not useful and that a little over 2lbs a week average weight loss is a realistic goal according to medical professionals. (Just difficult). I am open to ideas and stories.

Volunteering my input is going to throw me into the fire but the only thing you can do to lose THAT much weight in THAT amount of time is to eat at a larger deficit and fill your calories with ONLY clean foods. Fruits, steamed veggies (or microwaved frozen ones), unseasoned salmon/tilapia, completely take out starches&grains (get your fiber from fruits/veggies), drink 8 oz. of milk with dinner, and ONLY drink water between your meals.

In 5 weeks, at a daily 1,000 calorie deficit, you will be 10 lbs. lighter. And here is my crazy advice that no one will agree with. Exercise, but don't eat back your calories. As long as you are eating enough protein in your diet, your body won't eat your lean muscle.

Oh, and another thing, make sure that you eat when your body is hungry, but drink 2 glasses of water first. Dehydration feels like hunger pains, so test your body to see what it REALLY needs.

Good luck.

P.S. - I am doing the above and I lost 60 lbs in 5 months with only a recent slow down because I am in the healthy BMI range and have little resting metabolism left to gobble up my fat stores at a deficiency.

P.S.S. -- It is unrealistic to burn 20 lbs without dieting AND doing the insanity video the entire month. 20 lbs is a lot to lose. But if you are eating dirty and you switch to clean, you MAY hit your goal.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    do a workout bootcamp. high protein, moderate carb diet, eliminate all processed food and sugars. WORKOUT DAILY. drink your weight in ounces of water.
  • Brilliantbritt27
    Options

Volunteering my input is going to throw me into the fire but the only thing you can do to lose THAT much weight in THAT amount of time is to eat at a larger deficit and fill your calories with ONLY clean foods. Fruits, steamed veggies (or microwaved frozen ones), unseasoned salmon/tilapia, completely take out starches&grains (get your fiber from fruits/veggies), drink 8 oz. of milk with dinner, and ONLY drink water between your meals.

In 5 weeks, at a daily 1,000 calorie deficit, you will be 10 lbs. lighter. And here is my crazy advice that no one will agree with. Exercise, but don't eat back your calories. As long as you are eating enough protein in your diet, your body won't eat your lean muscle.

Oh, and another thing, make sure that you eat when your body is hungry, but drink 2 glasses of water first. Dehydration feels like hunger pains, so test your body to see what it REALLY needs.

Good luck.

P.S. - I am doing the above and I lost 60 lbs in 5 months with only a recent slow down because I am in the healthy BMI range and have little resting metabolism left to gobble up my fat stores at a deficiency.

P.S.S. -- It is unrealistic to burn 20 lbs without dieting AND doing the insanity video the entire month. 20 lbs is a lot to lose. But if you are eating dirty and you switch to clean, you MAY hit your goal.

All I basically eat is meat, cheese, eggs, raw fruits, and raw veggies, and 8oz of milk with the protein powder. And depending on the day, I'll a slice or two of whole wheat bread

Thank you for your post. I found it interesting and helpful